HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

After 3 months & 6000 miles, I learn how to drive the A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:32 PM

After 3 months & 6000 miles, I learn how to drive the A4

yes, it's hard to believe, but I finally am enjoying driving the A4 even more than before. Alot of members have posted about driving with the auto trans, and I was thinking about what they said and how some of the 5 spd people drive their vehicles. Never really disabled the Traction control that much except for an occassional launch or two and some testing with the DashHawk (more of which I have to do), but anyway, have mostly kept the trans in "I" around town and shifted into "D" above 45. All this done with the TC on. Now the past few days, having been driving with the TC off and in Comp Mode, and what a difference. Every stop I come to now , it just goes right into Launch Mode and keeping the trans in "I" changes the feel of the SS. Just comimg off the line, it feels more responsive and even shifts better, you can actually feel the "power". Also notice that in any mode with the trans in "I" it automatically downshifts just under 40, it feels like the 5spd and will upshift above 40 also. Us auto guys have the best of both worlds Of course, this does nothing for gas mileage, because my foot is always in it I can only imagine how this combo will respond with the tune, when it's available.......
Old 07-12-2008, 02:10 PM

I am still fairly new to the HHR SS auto. What exactly do the different modes on the shifter mean? And how can I use them to make the driving more fun? I have already experimented with driving in competitive mode and with TC off. I really didn't notice a difference in competitive mode but with TC i could definitely break the tires loose from a dead stop. What exactly does competitive mode do? The only thing I have read about it is the launch control is there more to competitive mode than launch control?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by agentsmith23
I am still fairly new to the HHR SS auto. What exactly do the different modes on the shifter mean? And how can I use them to make the driving more fun? I have already experimented with driving in competitive mode and with TC off. I really didn't notice a difference in competitive mode but with TC i could definitely break the tires loose from a dead stop. What exactly does competitive mode do? The only thing I have read about it is the launch control is there more to competitive mode than launch control?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
what I have read in the owners manual, I have forgot already
I need to reread the manual, there are members who are well more versed in exactly what each mode does, as some of them run autoX etc. I can break the tries loose in any mode as I have been doing experiments I disagree with you on the Comp Mode, as I can really notice a difference in the way it performs, shift points and even the sound. It just feels more aggressive to me. And the boost seems to come on quicker, again just a faster overall response. I am sure someone else can give you a more qualified answer about the Comp Mode.

reread your post again, on the shifter, you have the L I D do a search on auto trans and there are some good threads on this issue. As one member noticed that leaving the shifter in L it will automatically shift into 2nd gear at Redline, not sure if it will do the same from 2nd to 3rd, neither of us have tried, unless he has since his posting. Again, around town, I leave it in "I" and am very happy with the performance. I only use "D" on the highway, or when doing 45 or above. Leaving it in "I" will keep the r's up and again better response when you need it. Try it again, in the Comp Mode and in "I" you might like it this time around.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about driving an Audi.

I'm going to have to reread all these threads when I get my HHR. I can't possibly remember all this good stuff.