HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere

So I run out at the end of yesterday's lunch break to fill my tank...I almost always go to Sunocos (Ultra 93). So I pull up and the attendant askes me what kind of gas I need. I tell him "Ultra 93"...not only do I get a brief "why?" kind of look, I then get to enjoy this exchange:

Him: "They actually made an SS version of an HHR?" (Obviously there's different ways to ask this question, starting with mildly curious...his was in a sarcastic "Are you serious?" way, which I thought was kind of unnecessary.)

Me: "They sure did. I love this car, it's my favorite of all of the cars I've ever had." (I said this politely enough, but in a way that subtley told the guy, "Don't f*** with me, if you don't like the car, fine, but I didn't come here to get my car critiqued.")

Him (in a disbelieving tone): "So how much was it? How much power does it have?"

Me (I really don't feel like discussing this with a guy who's made it clear that an HHR SS ain't his thing): "Price was good for what it is...it's quick, especially with the turbo upgrade, 290 HP, and I've had some custom painting done and installed parts on it to make it stand out from other ones, make it my own."

Him (shaking his head): "An SS on an HHR...that's really funny." The conversation pretty much ends there.

He didn't really bother me...just thought his comments and tone (somewhat antagonistic) weren't at all appropriate, especially towards a customer. Oh well...no shortage of Sunocos here in NJ...suffice it to say I won't be going back to that one.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

What a douche...

$10 says he was driving an old beat up Ford Ranger.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Deceased

What do you expect from a guy who probably thinks a fast car is a Scooby-Do Impressive with a fart can muffler and a three story spoiler mounted with duct tape and drywall screws.

Just let it go in one ear and out the other as Grandpa used to say.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 AM

He's a gas pump jockey, who cares what he said?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Officer1151
What a douche...

$10 says he was driving an old beat up Ford Ranger.
One comment that did pass through my mind: "I'm sure you can afford something much better on your salary...so where's your awesome ride?"

Graybeard...not so much that I cared what he said...the HHR isn't everyone's cup of tea and I respect that...just thought his whole way of conducting himself was wrong. He can make all the snide comments he wants after I'm gone.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 PM

You could have ask how many years did he spend at Harvard to get his job!

Just kidding.

Welcome to the automotive life style. If you have some kind of car that stands out you will have people who love it or hate it.

Even if you had a ZR1 Vette there is going to be someone who will call it a plastic piece of crap.

Having owned a Fiero since 1985 I have heard it all. In the start I was a celebrity owning a new one. It was as if I had a Ferrari. Then it went dark and people are like you own one of those fire traps. [note there are many other cars that have had much worse fire records]. To today where I get a lot of people that say I used to own one and wish I had kept it. I also get a lot of kids today that were not around when the bad rep was going around and today they think it is cool.

Even so I still get a snide remark but I could get that with any car. Hell I make a few my self about some of the cars I see.

Don't let it bug you as if you are happy that is all that matters.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM

I hate people like that. I'm a Scenic Designer, and more often than not, I can be seen wearing 5-10 year old paint clothes. (think Jackson Pollock) People look at me like I'm homeless and get out of my way, then I get into the SS.... F 'em! Then they just look confused, I guess trying to figure out what I paint. The SS is an oddity, you either love it or hate it. There is no in-between. Next time, tell him it ran the Nurenburg long course (Stock 5sp 2008 SS) less than 2 seconds behind a 'vette(tuned might just beat a 'vette), and was 1st in class. then lay rubber all over their parking lot on the way out, with a good ole American middle finger waving in the breeze.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:52 PM

I would have asked him how many times a week he brushes his tooth.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Maybe he owns a purple PT Loser that has a duct taped Turbo name plate on it parked around back next to the rest room so when people start to puke at the color and matching seat covers and fuzzy dice, the bathroom is right there...
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
I hate people like that. I'm a Scenic Designer, and more often than not, I can be seen wearing 5-10 year old paint clothes. (think Jackson Pollock) People look at me like I'm homeless and get out of my way, then I get into the SS.... F 'em! Then they just look confused, I guess trying to figure out what I paint. The SS is an oddity, you either love it or hate it. There is no in-between. Next time, tell him it ran the Nurenburg long course (Stock 5sp 2008 SS) less than 2 seconds behind a 'vette(tuned might just beat a 'vette), and was 1st in class. then lay rubber all over their parking lot on the way out, with a good ole American middle finger waving in the breeze.
So that was not you at the exit ramp with the sign.

I agree we own and drive a polarizing car. You either love it or hate it. The fact is I really did not care one way or the other about the HHR till I drove one. There are many cars out there that you really have to drive them to understand. Everyone is an expert on cars till you ask them if they ever drove one.

I used to hate Porsche Carrara till I put a lot of miles on my Uncles in California. A trip from San Diego to San Fran and back on the PCH changed my mind on how the car drives and handels. I still hate the looks and other things but I do have to say it makes drving fast and easy.

A mark of a good handling car is it is easy to drive fast and makes you a better driver. That is what I find with the HHR SS. GMPD did a great job tuning. The HHR and Cobal SS are two of the best handling FWD cars because of their work.

Quick Reply: Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere