HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I hear it's mandatory in NJ.
yes. we went to atlantic city and it is required someone pumps your gas
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 PM

It's quite funny, some of them actually get mad at you if you get out of your car and try to pump your own gas.
I't's happened to me once or twice after heading home from Englishtown.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Same in Oregon. You can't pump your own gas, someone has to "pump" it for you. It's not like they do anything else while they are standing there like check your oil, clean your windows or that stuff that I used to do when i worked the pumps in MD many, many moons ago; Vegas, Pintos and Gremlins were still in their early years of production back then and you could still buy leaded gas! Guess the state has to do something to shrink the unemployment rolls.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
He's a gas pump jockey, who cares what he said?
Exactly. This is nothing worthy of a response by you...blow it off.

Just came back from Oregon where you can't pump your own gas anywhere in the whole state (pump jockey full employment act). Good thing we were driving my GF's POS Jetta! I wouldn't let them touch any of my cars. Been up there before and only I put the nozzle in and take it out...if they have a problem with that, I tell them to call a cop! Worked everytime.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Too funny.

I would have just laughed at him and his first comment... then my response would be "yeah, wanna race?"
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ship
Same in Oregon. You can't pump your own gas, someone has to "pump" it for you. It's not like they do anything else while they are standing there like check your oil, clean your windows or that stuff that I used to do when i worked the pumps in MD many, many moons ago; Vegas, Pintos and Gremlins were still in their early years of production back then and you could still buy leaded gas! Guess the state has to do something to shrink the unemployment rolls.
Interesting, I remember when you got Service with a smile...And the services you listed, + check the tires air psi..

Course also were the hip/slick pump jockeys that didn't put the dip stick all the way in & said you were always a qt low.. LOL
Till I got out & checked myself..
Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 AM

I used to work at a gas station years ago.

If you were cool no problem. If you were a pain in the A$$ buying only $2 of gas and want the windshield cleaned at 10 degrees, well!
I made sure to leave a streak in the windshield when I cleaned it right in front of the driver line of sight.

I was in Canton a few years back at the large mall area there. It was a Saturday night and I had new car that had a bad upper radiator hose. It popped and I went in seach of a hose at 6 PM. Well all the gas stations could sell me beer, hot dogs and lottery tickets but not a hose or Anti Freeze.

Than God for Sears where I I found a hose that would work with a little cutting and Anti Freeze.

It is sad that if you eliminated gas today the gas stations would really have no use for cars.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 AM

Mybe they could pump my gas, while I wait for a big mac. at least those lines would be productive
Old 03-29-2011, 06:16 AM

I worked at two gas stations back in 1987-88 (when I was in a senior in high school...those were my first two jobs)...a Mobil, then a Texaco...for $4.00/hr, then $5.00/hr. The Mobil job was actually a lot of fun, because the guys I worked with were all great guys, and our boss was very laid-back. It made for long days though...school would get out at 3:00, then I would head right over to the Mobil (which was a 24-hr station) and work until 11. The Texaco closed at 9:00, but the guys who worked there weren't nearly as cool, and my boss was a schmuck...he was a high-school dropout who had been in my class ('88) who thought he was hot sh*t because he had started his worklife earlier than other guys his own age. He could afford stuff that other 17/18-year-olds couldn't: a new car, an apartment, etc., and in way that DID seem kind of cool to me at the time. His station wound up going out of business in the early 90s.

Anyway, it wasn't like I found that guy's comments soooooo irritating that they stayed with me or ruined my day...I wasn't super-pissed or anything like that. For me, it was more of a customer service/principle issue...why even try to be antagonistic to a paying customer? I love my HHR, and like I said, I get that it's a polarizing ride that some find hideous.

Quick Reply: Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere