HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 AM

I'm so proud of my home state!

I usually get the opposite reaction, because of my age and point in my career when most people know I could afford just about any vehicle, so they figure the SS must be pretty impressive for me to have one.

Although yesterday I went to lunch with a co-worker and she asked if it was a PT Cruiser.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM

" Although yesterday I went to lunch with a co-worker and she asked if it was a PT Cruiser. "

Did you hide the body really well????
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM

you should have beat his minimum wage-making ass.

Taught him a life lesson in assumption and ignorance.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by nacademus
you should have beat his minimum wage-making ass.

Taught him a life lesson in assumption and ignorance.
It was a she, which makes it a little more forgiving.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Devils950003
So I run out at the end of yesterday's lunch break to fill my tank...I almost always go to Sunocos (Ultra 93). So I pull up and the attendant askes me what kind of gas I need. I tell him "Ultra 93"...not only do I get a brief "why?" kind of look, I then get to enjoy this exchange:

Him: "They actually made an SS version of an HHR?" (Obviously there's different ways to ask this question, starting with mildly curious...his was in a sarcastic "Are you serious?" way, which I thought was kind of unnecessary.)

Me: "They sure did. I love this car, it's my favorite of all of the cars I've ever had." (I said this politely enough, but in a way that subtley told the guy, "Don't f*** with me, if you don't like the car, fine, but I didn't come here to get my car critiqued.")

Him (in a disbelieving tone): "So how much was it? How much power does it have?"

Me (I really don't feel like discussing this with a guy who's made it clear that an HHR SS ain't his thing): "Price was good for what it is...it's quick, especially with the turbo upgrade, 290 HP, and I've had some custom painting done and installed parts on it to make it stand out from other ones, make it my own."

Him (shaking his head): "An SS on an HHR...that's really funny." The conversation pretty much ends there.

He didn't really bother me...just thought his comments and tone (somewhat antagonistic) weren't at all appropriate, especially towards a customer. Oh well...no shortage of Sunocos here in NJ...suffice it to say I won't be going back to that one.

??
I am lost.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by nacademus
??
I am lost.
What has you lost? I took my car to a Sunoco to have it filled up and a male gas attendant initiated that exchange w/me about my car.

Are you confusing my exchange with jerSSey HHR's conversation with his female co-worker? I'm thinking that's probably it.

Actually, I see it now...retrolled thought you were talking to jerSSey HHR, when you were really talking to me (with the beat his ass comment). And you weren't talking to me when you said you were lost, you were talking to retrolled but quoting my original post. All cleared up.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
I'm so proud of my home state!
Although yesterday I went to lunch with a co-worker and she asked if it was a PT Cruiser.
I can understand this from someone who is a non-auto enthusiast...some people just aren't that into cars, see them as nothing but a way to get from one place to another. Can't imagine what that's like...nor would I want to.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Martial Law
I live in a small city and I usually am the guy that drives the "different" car. Usually because It is a performance car and not picked out because its in the fast and the furious. The funny thing is that everyone is always so curious as to how fast it is or of course you get the typical negative feedback that its not "in style". That's when you just blow the doors off there car and smoke them by three or four car lengths. Not to much later you will see the same model car start to pop up everywhere. Never fails. Im sure this guy upon getting off of his high profile job went home and got on the internet to see how bad ass the HHR SS really is.
What an OUTSTANDING forum you all have here.

( I think this is one of my first posts btw... )

A - Friggin- Men my friend.
I NEVER had a car that was 'cookie cutter; status, or the newest thing down the pipe. More often than not, I was asked why the HELL am I driving that?
Weird cars? try a 1962 Ford Fairlane coupe with a 221 2 speed V8 with glasspacks, while dating a redhead. None the less, she hated that car.
My only import, a 1984 Toyota with 4 lug Cragars, my first 5 speed car.
Since then I've had 30-ish cars, all used, but searching for the 'one'.

Maybe a HHR SS 5 speed in the future? Only time or luck will tell...

My current beater? 1989 Plymouth Voyager Turbo 5 speed Minivan, factory original.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=foolmoon_design;549517]I hate people like that. I'm a Scenic Designer, and more often than not, I can be seen wearing 5-10 year old paint clothes. (think Jackson Pollock) People look at me like I'm homeless and get out of my way, then I get into the SS.... F 'em! Then they just look confused, I guess trying to figure out what I paint.

Foolmoon: Being a Custom painter/Artist[for lack of a better handle] in the trade for over 40 years[now semi retired], we call that being a "Wall Dog". Been there done that also. I'll have to remember that tag, sounds kinda classy. I can use that. Scenic Designer, has a nice ring to it.
As to people dissing the HHR-SS. Almost all the general pubic does'nt have a clue, as few were made, and not a common sight, as the regular HHR's are.
So far, at least to my face, I have'nt heard any negative comments, only intrest and praise. Ole "4 PLAY" now has a rather "Nasty" Competiton look to it, and it seems to make a rather bold statement to most people. Most of the car people around here don't care to mess with it, and the ones that do, end up looking at the rear end a lot. Seems the word is out locally. Don't mess with the old guy in the tricked out HHR-SS, he'll hand you your A$$, in a heartbeat.
Of all the many cars that I've owned[and all modded-some highly] the SS, is by far the most fun. A true "Sleeper". So far, have lots of "pelts" on the wall.
Now, back to my left over Turkey and dressing. "Moon"

Last edited by moonsign; 11-25-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 AM

What I feel is funny is how on another GM web sight the SS was dissed by GM fan boys.

These are guys I posted with for years and they just could not understand why I bought one. Then they started to do what I did and drive one.

I was not a I got to have an HHR fan. I thought it was a cool car but I never saw myself in a FWD 4 cylinder wagon in my life. One test driver changed my whole outlook. While the engine is great what I found was a even better sorted out suspension. The Cobalt and HHR SS up till recently have been the best FWD sorted suspensions I have ever driven. Infact they are better than many RWD set ups. An I have driven many cars.

It handles but rides well on back roads. It is an easy car to drive fast. It feels slower than it really is going a mark of a well sorted suspension.

As for what people think "Screw Em" I got over that a long time ago. I bought a Fiero in 1985 and still have it today. When new it was the cool car to have. Then I went through the years I was treated like a leper. Now it is starting to be a cool thing again with many people at show I attend. It helps having one in like new condition with some of the trick parts from back in the say.

All I can say to anyone is even if you don't want to buy a SS at least drive one and then you will understand why we have ours.

Quick Reply: Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere