HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
: Being a Custom painter/Artist[for lack of a better handle] in the trade for over 40 years[now semi retired], we call that being a "Wall Dog". Been there done that also. I'll have to remember that tag, sounds kinda classy. I can use that. Scenic Designer, has a nice ring to it.
As to people dissing the HHR-SS. Almost all the general pubic does'nt have a clue, as few were made, and not a common sight, as the regular HHR's are.
So far, at least to my face, I have'nt heard any negative comments, only intrest and praise. Ole "4 PLAY" now has a rather "Nasty" Competiton look to it, and it seems to make a rather bold statement to most people. Most of the car people around here don't care to mess with it, and the ones that do, end up looking at the rear end a lot. Seems the word is out locally. Don't mess with the old guy in the tricked out HHR-SS, he'll hand you your A$$, in a heartbeat.
Of all the many cars that I've owned[and all modded-some highly] the SS, is by far the most fun. A true "Sleeper". So far, have lots of "pelts" on the wall.
Now, back to my left over Turkey and dressing. "Moon"
To be fair, the gas dude was the only one to make it obvious that he didn't like my car. The comments I get the most are some variety of "HHRs never really did much for me, but I really like yours. Doesn't even seem like an HHR." Those who actually ride in it are even more impressed with its performance. Nothing I love more than when I get a fresh detail, and everything comes black gleaming...always makes me fall back in love with it again.

As much as I still love mine (I've now had it 2.5 years), I'm thinking more and more about what I hope my next ride will be: a Camaro 2SS, either in yellow or orange. Probably not until about spring 2013...the HHR will have just over 16 months or so of payments left, and I won't have to worry about the winter for a while when I first get it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 PM

I think there will always be confusion between the HHR and the PT Loser for the uneducated masses. Unusual/different cars tend to polarize people as well. But, I think the HHR, especially the SS is a "know me is to love me" kind of car. I can't see any one not liking the performance of the SS if they ever drove one.

My Impala SS with the 3.8L V6 supercharged (somewhat modded) feels like it can out do the wife's HHR SS. But the HHR turbo spins up faster and has more boost than the Impala does, and thus more fun to drive. It also gets better gas mileage. I like both cars for different reasons.

If only Chevy did more and better advertising on the HHR and especially the SS. Show case that Nürburgring record. But, I suppose this issue has been discussed adnauseum in other posts.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:18 PM

Most people don't know what a regular HHR is, let alone an SS version. I think part of the problem is that the name is an acronym and not a typical word. When you hear Accord, Camry, Impala, Malibu, etc, it registers with most people. I'm not even sure HHR owners know what HHR stands for, because it references a vehicle from so long ago. At least the acronym GTO still registers with people, because it was such a legenday vehicle.

Because the SS is so unusal looking, I'm thinking that the average Joe or Jane Doe look at the HHR SS and believe that it is some kind of custom car, like a hotrod kit. I doubt most people think the SS came off the factory floor looking like that. And that's what leads to the "what is that?" response.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:24 PM

I'm thinking that the average Joe or Jane Doe look at the HHR SS and believe that it is some kind of custom car
This is EXACTLY right.

You wouldn't believe how many people tell me "That's the nicest looking HHR I've ever seen....where did you get the ground effects at??"

Then I have to explain to them that it's a Super Sport and that the Super Sport's come factory with the different bumpers and such...
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Got to agree on that. Since I work some car shows and being semi-retired[means work when I want, on what I want], I get a awful lot of intrest in the SS. Lots of people ask me what all I did to it, to make it look so wicked. They think it is custom, even tho the outside did'nt involve body kit work, just simple mods. I jokingly say, I get asked so much, I might as well make up and hand out flyers, as to just what few mods I've done, and what it really is.
Since there a very few around here, lots of people don't know about them, and ole "4 Play" definately turns heads, trying to figure out what it is. I see the looks all the time, when I'm out and about.
The SS is definately a different animal. "Moon"
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM

I can top that! in 2009 I had spun the turbo bearing and took it into a dealership to get the turbo replaced and the service clerk kept saying "super charger". I kept right up with him correcting him with "TURBO".

After 5 or 6 times he looks at me like a dumb ass and says - these have eaton superchargers like the Cobalt. I pissed myself laughing at him and popped the hood to told him to point it out to me.

He couldnt believe it and the car was a year old... I was ready to verbally kick his head in but figured all the other service clerks were going to be frying his bacon for months... IDIOT!!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Name:  SDC11534.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  112.7 KB
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM

I LOVE THAT PLATE!!! i really want a vanity plate but i cant think of anything funny
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 AM

Great plate! I am in Michigan too so I cant copy! LOL
BRAVO!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Ha - just passed a identically-colored red Cobalt SS this morning. Pulled up next to him to give a wave and thumbs up, but he was too busy with a cell phone glued to his head and didn't even notice me.

Quick Reply: Always has to be a jerk/hater somewhere