HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Another DEAD SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Another DEAD SS

Driving home Friday, suddenly lost ALL boost. LOUD noise from engine that sounded like air leak but too low pitched. It would disappear when throttle reduced. Varying throttle would make noise come and go. Got home and checked all tubes for proverbial "loose clamps". None found. Took car to dealer this a.m. Car was driving normally except for no boost. Then all h*** broke loose. Noise stopped but LARGE cloud of smoke when leaving traffic light under moderate acceleration. Engine started missing and power was steadily decreasing (flashers on last 2 blocks). Service writer duplicated smoke cloud in parking lot. Got car into shop immediately. One hour later...preliminary diagnosis...."Turbo locked up"..... They gave me a rental (Cobalt) and said they had no idea when SS would be fixed. Seems nobody stocks the turbo. (p.s. 8240 miles on odometer)

And HOW WAS YOUR DAY?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by hdbykc
They gave me a rental (Cobalt) and said they had no idea when SS would be fixed. Seems nobody stocks the turbo. (p.s. 8240 miles on odometer)

And HOW WAS YOUR DAY?
**** happens...

I hope they will manage to find the turbo, and fix your SS soon.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM

i dont know for sure............ but it seems that percentage wise... there are alot of SS that are having trouble............ i am sure glad i didnt get one of those.....
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
i dont know for sure............ but it seems that percentage wise... there are alot of SS that are having trouble............ i am sure glad i didnt get one of those.....

The SS being what it is, most are not likely to be driven like a ''regular'' HHR.

Though I'm not saying EVERY HHR SS will live a tough life. The fact is a good percentage of them will IMHO.

Since I bought my SS, I can't help it.... I feel the need for speed!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

Thats the first lockedup turbo on here....all cars have lots of problems..key here is there isn't a pattern forming yet...all the problems are differnt,except the brake start up issue which is a design problem.(trying starting it cold with the air filter lid off and you'll immediatly "hear" what the problem is...can't make vacuum while under boost)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
I hadn't heard lots of problems with the SS Sure am pleased with mine.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 PM

Mine's been perfectly fine with Stage 1 and 13k on the odo.

Hope they fix your SS quickly though.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Thats the first lockedup turbo on here....
The dealer said that it was the first that they had seen..HHR or Cobalt...and they are large dealership. That's probably why nobody stocks the turbo. Looking at the big picture, I guess it was my time for trouble. I've owned 14 GM vehicles in past 18 years and this is the 1st time I've ever had warranty work done.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM

As soon as I read "large cloud of smoke" I knew your turbo was gone.

I have just looked on several Audi/VW supplier sites and they have the BW K04 Turbo, unfortunately I don't know if GM will order from them.

Also how is driving the car as it was made to be driven a rough life? Let the turbo warm up/cool down (after hard driving), and respect the car and it will be fine. The turbo is made to be used, the SS is made to be driven, so drive it! I don't hammer mine, but I drive it and to be honest, whenever I sell it will probably be one of the cleanest and nicest on the market in my greater area.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Also how is driving the car as it was made to be driven a rough life? Let the turbo warm up/cool down (after hard driving), and respect the car and it will be fine. The turbo is made to be used, the SS is made to be driven, so drive it! I don't hammer mine, but I drive it and to be honest, whenever I sell it will probably be one of the cleanest and nicest on the market in my greater area.

X2

Quick Reply: Another DEAD SS