HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Auto vs Manual, new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Arrow Auto vs Manual, new purchase

Hey folks. After looking for the right car I think it's gonna be the HHR SS. Thought about a crossfire - 330 hp is hot, but little mods and only 2 seats. Mustang would be pretty fun for tricking it out, but running 100 miles through atlanta traffic just wouldnt be ideal 5x a week...and besides, I've got an 89 IROC Im building out. Foreign cars just didnt have the leg room I wanted, and so I stumbled into a hhr ss.

Fast to start once that turbo gets breathing, fantastic handling and feeling the road - it was fairly stiff and making me that way too. It was fun. The interior was a bit drab and lower than an s10 I bought back in 96...lots of cheap plastic. I could see replacements there for first mods. Seats could really use better lateral support, and something for passengers to hang on to as well. So far Im liking it since its got some good power and fair share of room for passengers.

Biggest debate at this point iis to go with the automatic or sneek in the manual for more fun. Im just concerned with all that shifting when using this wagon through the indy 500 of atlanta traffic (except those times you hit a deadlock interchange). The auto is jet black - great to blend in with the herd - or the orange burst for the manual (exterior looks smaller in the orange).

Looking for honest thoughts from those owning the shifter, and those who got the auto...did you wish you got the manual, hows the manual for daily use? transfering out of a car with 120 hp to 235 was very significant as a daily driver. Getting another 260 off the lot is another turn on. Making my buy today, appreciate all comments.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 239
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! I would buy the Auto because I'm lazy Would I be the fastest, nope!!! But there is always something faster. I used to have a Crossfire but that is in a different price range than the HHR SS.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 249
Size:  38.2 KB

The 5 speed sounds like lots of fun, but if I were to get an SS it would have to be the auto due to Miami traffic.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 AM

Valcommen! sounds to me like the traffic is your biggest concern. Ill be buying an HHR SS this spring, and I too am riding the fence on the auto/manual thing. Have you driven both? I have only tested an auto in heavy traffic so I need more of a test drive in both. The clutch from what Im hearing is very light so it may not be much of a bother as your might think.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 AM

The fact that my wife can't drive a stick, and won't attempt to learn, always makes me lean toward buying the stick, but then practicality sets in, and I get the automatic. My commute to work is 16 miles, with many stops & traffic lights. Throw in a slight traffic delay, and I'm usually glad I got the automatic. My last car before the HHR was an 06 Impala SS. It was wickedly fast, but I never really got ant chance to open it up, and just suffered through 13 MPG
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM

I have to chime in that if traffic is a consideration, the auto is the way to go. I have the 5 speed, and love it, but do not have any stop and go traffic to deal with. Short first gear means you would be constantly shifting 1-2, small motor means you cannot idle off the line in first gear like our big V-8's (you have to rev it a bit to start off).
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM

to the best site in existence! Just my , but I'd go with the manual! My 06 LS is manual & with ATL traffic (lived there a year) the shifting thing wouldn't be an issue there, I don't think. I had a manual shift VW when I was there & never wished I had an automatic. For those who have never been to Atlanta, traffic is usually heavy but moving very quickly, alot of lane changes required to keep on pace, this is where the the SS manual would shine! It's got plenty of torque, you'd never have to shift once up to speed! Plus, you get the extra HP & torque with the manual, lower purchase price, better mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it!) why again were you considering an automatic?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Wife likes autos better. And since it's a daily commuter, shifting could get old for a 105 mile round trip through snarling atlanta traffic. But damn are manuals fun with the power once you get out in the country roads. Ive got an auto with me right now. They let me take it out last night to really look it over and experience the ride and I'll return it today. We're pretty impressed with the vehicle. It turns like a cat, slight steering really gets it moving where you want to go. Could be dangerous if you're not paying attention or multi tasking in the cabin, but it feels fantastic. And sure the manual gets an extra 30 hp off the lot, but I could save a light rev 0-60 or track run for the camaro.

complaints experienced so far are minor:

The storage compartment in the center dash can squeak throughout the ride. Folks should consider installing some rubber along the edge to prevent the friction rub while driving. I didnt notice it as a driver...the swift ride, feel of the ride, and listening to the turbo and low exhaust overwhelmed it. I only noticed it as a passenger.

Rear of the front seats could use an indentation like on the malibus to help with leg room of tall adults.

Front seats could use some lateral support to keep driver in the command chair better and maybe some hand grips on the roof line for passengers.

Too much cheap plastic along the walls of the vehicle. Would have to do leather inserts to wrap over all the plastic, especially in the front cabin.

Speeding before you know it. I wasn't really certain I was doing what the odometer was telling me. When I was in my former car, you knew you were going too fast because you heard nothing but road, wind, and the car getting squirrly.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Have you tried out a manual yet? I think if you do, you'll be hooked, especially after the direct comparison to the auto.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM

i've got the 5-spd and love it. traffic isn't normally too bad, but when i get stuck in it, i think about the same situations in my automatic 91 Camaro, and realize i'm still having tons of fun, and don't even really notice the clutch pedal, it moves so effortlessly, and yet still so surely. the clutches in these are wonderful, and i strongly suggest test driving one and getting into some traffic to really get a feel for it, as we all have our own personal tastes.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual, new purchase