HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Auto vs Manual, new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM

This is a tough decision for everyone.

Now, if they offered a 6-sp auto (like what's in the Saab Aero variants), I'm sure it would be much, much easier to choose

When it's time for me, I'm ticking the "manual" checkbox but there are definitely pros and cons to each.

Good luck with your choice! Either way, it seems like a really great vehicle.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Is it too late for my 2 cents worth?
The LSD that supposedly helps almost eliminate the torque steer is only available on the 5 speed and if you are doing any steep hills that require transmission hold back the auto trans will not do that and will up shift even in I location. Depends on your location and type of use?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by nerraD
This is a tough decision for everyone.

Now, if they offered a 6-sp auto (like what's in the Saab Aero variants), I'm sure it would be much, much easier to choose

When it's time for me, I'm ticking the "manual" checkbox but there are definitely pros and cons to each.

Good luck with your choice! Either way, it seems like a really great vehicle.
Would be even tougher decision with 6 speed auto with paddle shifters!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
to the site!!! I would buy the Auto because I'm lazy Would I be the fastest, nope!!! But there is always something faster. I used to have a Crossfire but that is in a different price range than the HHR SS.
You should look at the used Crossfires sold by Carmax. Talk about terrible resale value. You can get an 2005-07 with from 13K-33K miles for $15K to 20K. Thats a $35K car after 2-3 years and its already half price.
http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/...spx?id=4880014
Real nice price if you wanted a 2 seater and a 6 speed.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Not to be offensive, but if you have to ask that question, then you should get the auto. If you truly like manual transmissions, you wouldn't even need to consider it, no matter how bad the traffic is.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Done deal. The manual was fairly fun, but wife wanted the auto with black exterior and I wont be concerned racing folks at a light on my daily commute. The auto did get a bit squirrelly punching it out though..That nerved me a bit so will have to control the throttle going forward...bad combo for the car imo due to the sensativity of the steering. Really did notice the LSD difference. I lost to the wife's demand, but got a car with some pep and solid look. I'll just convert the camaro to a manual in my rebuild process. Can't wait to drop the engine and tranny this summer and fire it up by fall maybe. This auto would be so slick if they made it RWD - loathe chevy taking the cheap route for FWD.

I'll have to lineup my fleet of bowties and get a pic up tomorrow when its sunny out.

Red 05 silverado, 08 black hhr, white 89 iroc. Good color combo Sold the 96 s10 last month - helped make the purchase. This ss is a nice ride, gets up and goes and the economy will be a sick perk to the pep it gets on the road. Got quite a bit of looks and folks eyeing it the past two days while I worked the deal.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Congrats on the new ride! It'll be a blast with or without the manual!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Razinhell
You should look at the used Crossfires sold by Carmax. Talk about terrible resale value. You can get an 2005-07 with from 13K-33K miles for $15K to 20K. Thats a $35K car after 2-3 years and its already half price.
http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/...spx?id=4880014
Real nice price if you wanted a 2 seater and a 6 speed.
Not to dwell on bad news, but higher end used car values are going down-down for awhile at least. Sort of the same problem as sub-prime real estate. Lots of folks buying Escalades and Denalis, etc that had no business doing so. Fully equipped pickups are also filling repo parking lots, although their price is holding up better than high end SUV's. Just aphase, we will get through it, we always do.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 AM

You made the right decision for a few reasons:

1. Have to keep the wife happy-- first and foremost
2. 25 more hp and ?? more tq isn't worth it if clutch wears YOU out in daily traffic.
3. Tuners will probably soon crack how to tune the 25/?? hp/tq back into the engine anyhow, then you'll have the best of both.

Originally Posted by itsallu
Done deal. The manual was fairly fun, but wife wanted the auto with black exterior and I wont be concerned racing folks at a light on my daily commute. The auto did get a bit squirrelly punching it out though..That nerved me a bit so will have to control the throttle going forward...bad combo for the car imo due to the sensativity of the steering. Really did notice the LSD difference. I lost to the wife's demand, but got a car with some pep and solid look. I'll just convert the camaro to a manual in my rebuild process. Can't wait to drop the engine and tranny this summer and fire it up by fall maybe. This auto would be so slick if they made it RWD - loathe chevy taking the cheap route for FWD.

I'll have to lineup my fleet of bowties and get a pic up tomorrow when its sunny out.

Red 05 silverado, 08 black hhr, white 89 iroc. Good color combo Sold the 96 s10 last month - helped make the purchase. This ss is a nice ride, gets up and goes and the economy will be a sick perk to the pep it gets on the road. Got quite a bit of looks and folks eyeing it the past two days while I worked the deal.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM

I will begin by saying I am a VW Diesel Guy.......I have been driving a VW Diesel of some sort for nearly 15 years.......My latest is a 2006 Jetta TDI with a 6 Speed DSG tranny and it is chipped 129 HP and 289 Ft pounds of torque......37 MPG in town more on the highway!
In the last couple days I have been researching the HHR SS! Today I drove a Stick and and Auto
The stick is definately faster but I didn't really like the shifter......The Auto is plenty quick and much smoother.......So now I have a Big decision to make!
I hate the no armrests in the stick also.......So what to do........

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual, new purchase