HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Blown front strut (SS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Blown front strut (SS)

I noticed a little drip or two in my garage floor, but it wasn’t under the drive train and crawling under it I didn’t see any issues so I blew it off. Early this week the drips were a puddle; upon Inspection the RH front strut was covered in its own oil with a blown seal. Drove it into the dealer with 4k on it and they have to order it “because it’s a new car” (DUH!). I am still driving it and it’s not very noticeable driving wise, but did wipe it down every other day so the oil doesn’t hit the brake pads. When the new one goes on I am insisting on an alignment to keep it on the road straight.

The ironic part is my wife’s 08 Acadia blew a rear shock in the same fashion, so it seems GM is getting some low grade stuff from its suppliers.

Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on it.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BZERKED
I noticed a little drip or two in my garage floor, but it wasn’t under the drive train and crawling under it I didn’t see any issues so I blew it off. Early this week the drips were a puddle; upon Inspection the RH front strut was covered in its own oil with a blown seal. Drove it into the dealer with 4k on it and they have to order it “because it’s a new car” (DUH!). I am still driving it and it’s not very noticeable driving wise, but did wipe it down every other day so the oil doesn’t hit the brake pads. When the new one goes on I am insisting on an alignment to keep it on the road straight.

The ironic part is my wife’s 08 Acadia blew a rear shock in the same fashion, so it seems GM is getting some low grade stuff from its suppliers.

Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on it.
Fear not, as you are not the only one, some people on the Solstice Forum have had shocks replaced also due to a similar condition. Let's face it, when you have mass production of anything, there are going to be times, when the suppiler is either not making the parts to GM specs, or has a defective part or switch, or sensor, etc., etc., that slips through. It is unfortunate, but it does happen....
Old 06-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Just noticed yesterday my left rear shock is leaking at 1,925 miles.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:58 AM

It does happen and it's sort of a fact of life that all things will break. If they puked @ 60K though I wouldnt be upset and thow a set of Koni or Bilsteins on it.

I was so bummed about the front I didnt look @ the back, but will today...uhg
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM

it does sound like we all need to check for leaks on the struts & shocks...
that is what all of these Forums are about, sharing helpful info and the suggestions that also go along with that info. It helps us all, and hopefully GM to bring us a better product due to the findings here.....
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 AM

good info to know. Bzerked did you try to call another dealership to see if they may have a part you need. Sometimes dealerships nearby have it but they don't like to go that way. I had to do this once and the original dealer got it from another because I followed through and called another dealer nearby. They got the part ASAP and was repaired within the day. No harm in trying. Good luck with the strut.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Well since I am in Detroit and have some family in GM I shot an email to the Quality Engineer on the HHR Program to let him know what is up. He responded and told me they are expirenceing trouble with the supplier and also looking for a new one.
I havent had it replaced as of yet, the dealer can't get one becasue the car is so new (which is BS). Then followed it up with "they dont have a part number yet", which is also BS becasue it assigned a part number upon design acceptance. HOPEFULLY they all puke under warranty ... I am looking into new dealers now.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 AM

That a way GM, just keep buying those cheap offshore parts to add profit while you erode customer satisfaction!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM

AMEN!

(then they wonder why)
Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM

I look at the HHR as a platform from which I will build off of. I don't expect it to have the best struts from the factory, what car does? You run the stock stuff until the warranty is up and then you put on the good stuff.

Quick Reply: Blown front strut (SS)