HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Little Red Wagon
It's a 79 Z28 (wife's car).I have a 62 Corvette.If you care to look I have pictures of both at the link below.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/62f79/

I don't think I'll have any trouble with them so far they've pretty good.
My bad, thought it was an 80 or 81. Those are 2 very nice rides you have.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 12-21-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: resized pic
Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dr_Jekyll
My bad, thought it was an 80 or 81. Those are 2 very nice rides you have.
Thanks,We did take the Camaro out today to the dealer to see what goes with the HHR.After Christmas I'll strip all the trim off Corvette and send it off to the local restoration shop for a complete paint stripping and have it painted in Dupont Hot Hues Candy Red with pot of gold base.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 12-21-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: removed pic from quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:43 PM

I'm surprised to see boost hitting that high in an unmodified SS. Perhaps there was a failure in some aspect of the control system, allowing boost to rise abnormally high.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 PM

The boost had been going too high for a few weeks,popping off before rpms got into the 4s.Sometimes it would lose all boost until you restarted the car.I just didn't have time to take it in.

My salesman said the mechanic hadn't got into it too much,but thought the turbo let go and must have pump antifreeze in one cylinder and blew an oil line.We'll find out Monday.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:45 PM

wow

well if your goina go, go big!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Little Red Wagon
The boost had been going too high for a few weeks,popping off before rpms got into the 4s.Sometimes it would lose all boost until you restarted the car.I just didn't have time to take it in.

My salesman said the mechanic hadn't got into it too much,but thought the turbo let go and must have pump antifreeze in one cylinder and blew an oil line.We'll find out Monday.
It sounds as if the wastegate / trim control was sticking on the hot side. If there was a cooling or oiling issue, this wouldn't be surprising. I'm using this nebulous description, because I'm not even sure if our KKK turbo has a conventional wastegate, or just the variable trim deal. I haven't spent much time under the hood. One thing to be careful of with a turbo failure if it spreads to the cold side, is metal debris from the turbo causing damage downstream, particularly to the intercooler. Although this type of failure is usually catastrophic, and about as subtle as an elephant's dong, it may be worth taking a peek at the plumbing directly after the turbo outlet and also at the inlet of the intercooler for signs of damage.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mistermike
It sounds as if the wastegate / trim control was sticking on the hot side. If there was a cooling or oiling issue, this wouldn't be surprising. I'm using this nebulous description, because I'm not even sure if our KKK turbo has a conventional wastegate, or just the variable trim deal. I haven't spent much time under the hood. One thing to be careful of with a turbo failure if it spreads to the cold side, is metal debris from the turbo causing damage downstream, particularly to the intercooler. Although this type of failure is usually catastrophic, and about as subtle as an elephant's dong, it may be worth taking a peek at the plumbing directly after the turbo outlet and also at the inlet of the intercooler for signs of damage.
Thanks Mike,I'll suggest that info to whoever calls me to let me know their progress.
This is only my second turbo charged car.My first was a 89 Caravan with a 2.5 turbo 5-speed in the four years and 75,000 miles we had only had a map sensor and 1st/2nd cynchronizer go out.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Wow - that sucks - sorry to hear about this. I wonder how long it will take them to fix it? Are they giving you the Equinox as a free rental or do you have to pay for it?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Wow - that sucks - sorry to hear about this. I wonder how long it will take them to fix it? Are they giving you the Equinox as a free rental or do you have to pay for it?
It's a free rental,GM pays for the Hertz car I pay for the gas.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Up Date:

Just got a call from the tech, Melted one piston,they have the engine torn down so far parts needed new piston,new sleeve,new crank, and new rings.

They still don't what was causing too much boost before it had the revs to go with it.They'll have to wait until thay get it back together.

They won't get any parts until next week.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket