HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

The Boost Spike corrected...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Last night finally got around to checking the clamps. I could only get at 2 - the one on the turbo and the passenger side intercooler connection. The driver side connection on the intercooler was a real PITA I could get a socket on it but not the ratchet - need to visit the tool store. The connection on the intake I have no idea how to get at that one.

So I drove 40 miles this morning to work and I believe it did do something. Boost climbs faster and farther -was able to hit 20lbs without wot. It must have been the clamp to the turbo was not tight enough. It was worth the scrapes on my hands and fore arms.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM

I did the two from the intercooler and the one directly behind the airbox where is the other???
Old 04-16-2009, 03:53 PM

i believe the 4th is on the front of the engine going to the intake. But it is absloutely blocked. Maybe it is accessable from the underside on a lift.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM

Hello,

Great information on this forum! Question from a noob. Would someone please explain to me what is the normal expected boost under specific conditions. I took delivery of a 2009 SS last Saturday, previously a GM corporate vehicle. I noticed that the acceleration is not as strong as a new SS I tested previously. When accelerated in 1st-2nd gear, the boost would get up to 5-8 and then back to zero. Most of the time, my boost is 0-5, even at a constant high speed. Thanks for all your inputs.

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Update:
Tech "found leak at vacuum hose nipple on charged air pipe between IC and TB".
Replaced charged air pipe.
No more surging and have seen a consistant 22 lbs boost at full load.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 AM

There is no normal due to it being variable due to weather, alt and other conditions.

Now that that is out of the way you still should see more than 5-8 psi even in a automatic.

At WOT an auto will see 8-12 and in 3rd and 4th gear you should see up to 15 give or take a pound or two.

Now if you have the stage kit it will increase the PSI to much higher leverls in all gears. Max is over 20 PSI and can go higher due to conditions.

A 5 stock speed will see up to 15 psi in all gears. It will have a lot more low end.

With any SS under normal diving with little pedal the car will read at 0 or even into vacuum numbers.

Tubes being loose and cracked tubes tend to be a problem if you do no see higher levels of boost.

Just keep in mind you if you have a auto 1-2 gear wil not always produce big numbers. If you see them in 3rd gear nothing may not be wrong.

It is kind of hard to explain but as a rule there are no hard numbers for each one of us.

Now if you have little or no boost then you do have an issue.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 AM

hyperv6,

Thanks you for your explanation. I have not seen my boost above 10. The SS seems like it has adequate power, but not the rush I want under hard acceleration. I have a manual and will have to do more investigative work this weekend, including tightening all the tubes. BTW, does mpg decrease with the GM stage kit?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mr_hhr
hyperv6,

Thanks you for your explanation. I have not seen my boost above 10. The SS seems like it has adequate power, but not the rush I want under hard acceleration. I have a manual and will have to do more investigative work this weekend, including tightening all the tubes. BTW, does mpg decrease with the GM stage kit?
I'm pretty sure you will find the clamps loose or even something cracked. I had great boost in low teens (cold or warm weather) before the stage kit. Now, even my slight tightening produced more with the stage kit. I am well into the high teens and over 20 often, with just modest accelerations. I still need to reach one of the IC (driverside) and put in my BOV spring.

Last edited by JeramieJJ; 04-17-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 AM

hyperv6,

If you have a 5 sp it sounds as if you may have the losse tube problem. You should be seeing 15 PSI. I would check them and that may be enough to solve you issue.

Chevy Mgr posted the torque spec at 44 ft lbs on the clamps.

The stage kit if driven normal will not effect mileage. Now if you go around spooling up to 22 PSI from light to light it will use a little more.

So far on my daily drive to work this week I have seen little to no change even with a few sprints thrown in. I think the extra torque makes up for the additional HP. I do not have to put my foot into it like I used to.

You do need to use premium gas all the time with no regular option. But that was all I used anyway.

With as many tubes coming loose I suspect a TSB may be in the future.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Now my next question is does anyone have a recommendation for a good dealer in the Midwest where I may get the stage kit installed:) And what is the approximate total cost? Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Now my next question is does anyone have a recommendation for a good dealer in the Midwest where I may get the stage kit installed:) And what is the approximate total cost? Thanks again!
I'll PM you. It's worth the drive to them.

and that was torque spec at 44 INCH lbs on the clamps, not foot.

Quick Reply: The Boost Spike corrected...