HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

The Boost Spike corrected...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM

The technician took the HHR SS out for a test drive and reported that there was no problem with boost. Is the boost suppose to drop back to zero once your speed is constant or is there still boost even at a constant high speed? At a constant speed of 50-60 mph, the boost is at zero for my HHR. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am a noob and this is my first vehicle with a turbo. Thanks again for any help.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM

The boost gauge should only really be moving up when you're on the gas to accelerate. If you're just cruising, it should be at 0 or below.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM

I have had the stage kit installed since mid January. Last week the car ran better than ever. I had to take my SS into the shop today for the following issue which just popped up within the last week;
- Lost turbo intermittantly... no boost at all...then back to full boost. Happened about 3 times in the last 2 days. This has me worried, No CEL or error codes to go by.
- Bogging down between 45 and 65 mph.
- Noticed oil on bottom of the cold air intake boot.
Dealer has to diag the system so it will be monday before I have any results.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tuanies
The boost gauge should only really be moving up when you're on the gas to accelerate. If you're just cruising, it should be at 0 or below.
Thanks, I did not know that the boost level should drop back to zero even at a high constant speed. Still, the acceleration of my HHR SS feel slow compared to a new HHR SS test drove recently.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DMarotta
I have had the stage kit installed since mid January. Last week the car ran better than ever. I had to take my SS into the shop today for the following issue which just popped up within the last week;
- Lost turbo intermittantly... no boost at all...then back to full boost. Happened about 3 times in the last 2 days. This has me worried, No CEL or error codes to go by.
Do you have a K&N filter in your SS?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 PM

No K&N filter, all stock under the hood. CEL came on yesterday for about 3 hours then went away. Driving me nuts not knowing what it is.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 PM

I got my car back from the dealer today after 3 days in the shop. The dealer reported and I quote from the invoice,

"found that the TMAP sensor was not seated properly. They removed the TMAP sensor and shaved the boss off the sensor per the PI so the sensor will sit flush against the duct

Ill see how this holds up, I have a dyno day coming up this Saturday in Rock Hill, SC
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Ill see how this holds up, I have a dyno day coming up this Saturday in Rock Hill, SC
Definately report back on the dyno results and how the fix holds up.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 PM

I got my car back from the dealer today after 3 days in the shop. The dealer reported and I quote from the invoice,

"found that the TMAP sensor was not seated properly. They removed the TMAP sensor and shaved the boss off the sensor per the PI so the sensor will sit flush against the duct

How is the SS running now? I've had all kinds of problems with boost levels. I have stage kit and sometimes it hits and sometimes it doesn't. Changed to the Dejon spring and tightened down all of the IC clamps and connections and still have problems. Does anyone know if I would be able to visually verify this TMAP sensor so that I could take it to the f'n dealer again and have those yahoos fix this **** that they didn't do during the install?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:41 PM

Good news, bad news.

Good news is the TMAP sensor fix seems to be working fine.

The bad news is that for some reason they did a sh*ty job with my car on the dyno. The driver said that he did not know which gear to select to keep the car from going into overdrive. Should be "L" correct? Any suggestions as to how to best run the SS Automatic on a dyno is greatly appreciated.

My SS is an Automatic with the GM Stage Kit and Dejean Spring installed, otherwise all stock. The dyno (DynoJet) would shut down my car every time at about 4850 RPMs. I had a nice straight smooth power curve showing from 185 RWHP at 4200 RPMs to 231 RWHP at 4820 RPMs.

This is my graph.

There was another HHR SS (Chris) at the Dyno today as well. His car was exactly the same as mine (GM Tune, spring etc, all else stock) except it was a manual transmission. His best number was 275 RWHP and 295 ft-lbs of torque. He will post his chart later.

Quick Reply: The Boost Spike corrected...