HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Brought in for service, wrong sensor on intercooler pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM

Exclamation Brought in for service, wrong sensor on intercooler pipe?

Brought my SS in yesterday to have things looked over because the other day it starting idling weird. It would not idle steady and was bouncing a bit while just sitting still, but only does it sometimes and noticed a ticking sound coming from near the top of the motor or back near the turbo like something was trying to engage. After the tech looked things over, I had new plugs put in it as it still had the factory plugs and he said the sensor near the bottom of the left side intercooler pipe did not look correct and was held in with a hose clamp. ??? I have not put in on jack stands to look just yet and they are ordering me a OEM replacement for it as well as the clip for the right side pipe that is missing at the top as I noticed that tube was easy to move around.

Since it appears I have the GMTU already on my SS from the previous owner, can someone tell me what parts and/or components come with that kit and if I need to be concerned with the "stock" sensor they are ordering me for that left side? Just want to make sure they aren't ordering me something that may have been upgraded etc...

I can't find a schematic online to post a pic of what I am talking about and what sensor he showed me in the service repair book.

Hope all that makes sense. :)
Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM

GMTU uses different sensors. 3 bar. They have a different part number.

TMAP Sensor 55206797

Link to instructions

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...67720277,d.cWc
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by celblazer
GMTU uses different sensors. 3 bar. They have a different part number.

TMAP Sensor 55206797

Link to instructions

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...67720277,d.cWc
Thank you! I have no idea what the history is on this HHR I just bought so I guess I can just let the service tech look it over and tell me what he thinks in regards to the GMTU and parts installed etc etc etc... ??? Hopefully they can tell me if things are installed correctly and if it has been flashed for the GMTU upgrade.

Last edited by Pyr0TeK; 05-27-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Picture of the GMTU Parts list:
(2nd ones on the list are the plug/n/play harness.)

Attachment 16271

Last edited by whopper; 06-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

While I'm at it.

Stock sensors. 2 views.

Attachment 16272

Attachment 16273

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:53 PM

OK so I brought my HHR back up to the dealership today because I was pretty sure they were ordering the wrong part (which they were). They were ordering me the stock TMAP sensor so I printed out some info and parts you guys have provided (THANK YOU!) and then had them put it on the lift to look things over. I snapped some pics. The bottom sensor has had the bolt flange dremeled off flush and was installed using a couple of hose clamps that were too small so they combined two in order to make them large enough to make it around the pipe.

While it was running and sitting idle, he hook a laptop up to it and looked at the codes it had thrown since he reset them the other day. No codes on the dashboard though. I don't have the exact codes to post but one was the BPV reported stuck at 2300 rpm's, which might explain why it was seeming sluggish and jumpy on the interstate today while I was in 4th gear under no turbo load, basically just cruising not pressing the gas at all. Do I need to look at the Forge BPV or ???

Does anyone know if I can order just one of the TMAP sensors alone to replace the one on the bottom that is currently "pipe-clamped" into place with no way to attach it with a bolt? I am guessing the previous owner may have broke it and had no other choice on how to attach it. Having the current sensor attached the way it is an issue (besides it bothering the hell out of my OCD... lol) ??

Also noticed a cut wire on the top sensor, which from the install instruction sheet posted here, should not be needed correct?

I'm just trying to get this car straightened out before I break something because of the way things are currently installed.

I know it is kind of hard to explain things online in detail but this is the best I can do. I can provide any more detail if you guys need it and thanks again for pitching and helping me get on board with this car.

Pics:

Last edited by Pyr0TeK; 05-27-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Odd. But your lower sensor seems to be turned 90 degrees to the left from where it should be. At least that's how it looks to me in the picture.
The wire plug end of the sensor should be pointing to the AC compressor. Unless someone has "modified" it to clear it from contacting the compressor. That may be the reason for the hose clamp since the bolt holes would no longer line up.

Here's the only picture I have on file that shows the lower Tmap wires pointing at the AC compressor. The black bracket is just something I added to keep the lower charge pipe pushed back for more clearance from the compressor.
Attachment 16274

Here's a pic of what the stock BPV looks like.
Attachment 16275

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Odd. But your lower sensor seems to be turned 90 degrees to the left from where it should be. At least that's how it looks to me in the picture.
The wire plug end of the sensor should be pointing to the AC compressor. Unless someone has "modified" it to clear it from contacting the compressor. That may be the reason for the hose clamp since the bolt holes would no longer line up.

Here's the only picture I have on file that shows the lower Tmap wires pointing at the AC compressor. The black bracket is just something I added to keep the lower charge pipe pushed back for more clearance from the compressor.
They ordered me a new TMAP sensor for the bottom to replace the jacked up one with the bolt flange missing and should be installed and ready tomorrow. I am also going to make sure it has the right flash based on the GMTU install instructions sheet. Praying it is all done correctly. The tech said yesterday he did not see that flash code in his available options to be able to flash so hopefully he knows what he is doing. Don't think he has ever done one, which makes me a bit nervous.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

The tech has to get the reflash sent to him from GM. It is a "VIN' based reflash from the way I understand it.
There is also more than one available. Apparently there is a different reflash based on the 5 speed/auto difference.(I think)
Also. There IS a different reflash for those that have the vacuum assist pump installed.

Not trying to scare you, just hope your tech gets it right.

The tech that did mine was a first timer at the GMTU. He was/is the lead Vette tech at the dealership. After doing mine, he said it was a whole lot easier than the instructions made it out to be.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
The tech has to get the reflash sent to him from GM. It is a "VIN' based reflash from the way I understand it.
There is also more than one available. Apparently there is a different reflash based on the 5 speed/auto difference.(I think)
Also. There IS a different reflash for those that have the vacuum assist pump installed.

Not trying to scare you, just hope your tech gets it right.

The tech that did mine was a first timer at the GMTU. He was/is the lead Vette tech at the dealership. After doing mine, he said it was a whole lot easier than the instructions made it out to be.
Going to talk to him tomorrow afternoon IN DETAIL about the points you brought up and see what he says. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Brought in for service, wrong sensor on intercooler pipe?