HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Brought in for service, wrong sensor on intercooler pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 PM

UPDATE:

Got the SS back today after being very diligent with the service tech who was working on my car. He has a master certification so I was comfortable with how he handled my situation. He had not messed with the GMTU before so he learned as he went but I was very impressed with the way he dove in to find out every little single detail about what needed to be done, including looking up all the vehicle service history and printing it out for me, up to what codes had been flashed etc. He cut out the butt connectors on the lower TMAP sensor when he was installing the new one because it was installed like sh*t and he soldered the wires and heat shrinked them. He took about 20 pictures of the entire process as I am sure he wanted this info for the future. The stock TMAP sensor was like $130 and the GMTU sensor was only like $32 so actually saved me $100 (go figure!) He then drove it a few miles, shut it off and let it sit for a while, then drove it back and hooked it back up to see if any codes were in the system. NONE. SO at this point in time, she seems to be running just fine. I have not checked full boost yet as it was raining and I had the A/C on but I will see how she runs in the monring on the way to work on the Interstate.

I think I am going to check the top sensor wiring and probably solder it too as I am sure it is installed with the butt connectors just like the lower one was and not done very well.

Thank you guys for the info. you have provided. It really helped myself and the tech to get him up to speed.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear the tech took the time to do it right.

One thing to take notice of. I assume that the new Tmap sensor is now turned in the correct direction: wiring end pointed towards the AC compressor.
There are a number of owners with the GMTU who had issues with the wire end bumping or rubbing against the compressor. This can lead to the wires chafing and creating boost errors. This usually happens because of the torque load that causes the engine to twist against the engine/trans. mounts.

There are a number of threads on this site about this and the fixes for it.
Seems to be a problem more with the autos than the 5 speeds. The autos seem to have a little less clearance in that area.
Some of the fixes range from shimming the Intercooler forward or putting a bracket on the lower pipe to hold it back farther from the compressor.

Try a Search for some of those threads. Got any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: cuz donbrew said so! LOL
Old 05-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Good to hear the tech took the time to do it right.

One thing to take notice of. I assume that the new Tmap sensor is now turned in the correct direction: wiring end pointed towards the AC compressor.
There are a number of owners with the GMTU who had issues with the wire end bumping or rubbing against the compressor. This can lead to the wires chafing and creating boost errors. This usually happens because of the torque load that causes the engine to twist against the engine/trans. mounts.

There are a number of threads on this site about this and the fixes for it.
Seems to be a problem more with the autos than the 5 speeds. The autos seem to have a little less clearance in that area.
Some of the fixes range from shimming the Intercooler forward or putting a bracket on the lower pipe to hold it back farther from the compressor.

Try a Search for some of those threads. Got any more questions don't bother to ask.
Thanks man and I did know this prior to going up there today and we discussed the clearance either having it installed correctly with the harness pointed towards the A/C compressor and some people flipping it 180 degrees and then there are issues with the intercooler. He did file down part of the sensor to get it to fit better for clearance. He took pics of it's currently installed position and it looked like it had enough clearance. I mean after he soldered and heat shrinked it, he wire loomed it and snapped pics to show clearance. Great service I must say. Maybe I'll try and grab some pics from his cell phone tomorrow when I go back up there to get my Durango I left there.

I would love to put some hard pipes on this beast... maybe one day.

Again, thank you for the continued help and support. Us "car guys" would never be able to navigate this world without communities like this. :)
Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Cool. Good to know you were able to update him about the clearance issues.

Yeah. Filing down that tab on the lower sensor is part of the installation instructions. Never understood why the GMTU kit sensors didn't come with that sensor tab already filed down.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Ride to work this morning was nice and smooth with no issues. Boost around 17 lbs.