HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Car and Driver articles

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Car and Driver articles

I put this in the SS section as I was thinking of the SS engine (LNF) when it all started top click....

I just read a very interesting article in C&D (June 2010, pg 105 "SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW, AD INFINITUM") about new engine technology and how direct injection, turbo charging and VVT (sound familiar) where going to help increase power and increase fuel economy, which will assure that the Internal combustion engine is around for a long time.

The troublesome part was that the entire time I was reading the article, I was thinking of the LNF engine used in the SS.... But C&D never mentioned it. Instead they mentioned the Audi, Ford and Honda engines.

Very well written article with simple explanations of how each technology works, just wish they would have mentioned the LNF.

In another article promoting Jeep (same issue, pg78 "Make Mine a Jeep"), they said "you can get a Chevrolet HHR, which is like admitting your too out of it for a PT cruiser"

They also placed the Mustang GT ahead of the Camaro SS, not that I totally disagree with that.

Just wondering if C&D has it out for GM these days?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 PM

How many Chevy / GM advertisements are there in the magazine?

It makes a difference.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 PM

MAny times stories are advertising related.

Two things GM has not been playing up to the press of late if you have noticed they are not in many comaro's. Also GM never really promoted the LNF much due to poor marketing from the lack of money.

The engine is coming back in the Buick Regal this fall with new marketing so this all should change soon.

Just look at what good marketing does as it makes Ford look like they invented Direct Injection Tubo engines when they were late to the game.

Not a big deal the quality of the GM drivetrains will prevail in the end. That is one thing they have nailed of late. Just wait till the DI VVT 3.6 V6 hits with 420 HP. It is not far out.

DI will be on the new upgraded V8 soon too.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 PM

I can see mentioning Audi since they've had DI for years, but seriously, Ford? It's all marketing and money, not merits apparently.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 PM

I read that article too, and noticed they didn't mention the LNF motor either. Even though they described it to a "T"
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 AM

Hot Rod Magazine did an article about the Stage 1..... http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...stage_kit.html

I don't recall the other magazine that did an article on Direct Injection and how it worked and focused on the LNF engine also. May have been Hot Rod also.... I'll see if I can find the PDF. May even be posted here somewhere, don't recall where I saw it first.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:37 AM

GM failed to market the DI Turbocharged technology.

All GM can say in regards to Ford's EcoBoost is that we had it first.
See how well Ford is Marketing EcoBoost?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Deuces
Hot Rod Magazine did an article about the Stage 1..... http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...stage_kit.html

I don't recall the other magazine that did an article on Direct Injection and how it worked and focused on the LNF engine also. May have been Hot Rod also.... I'll see if I can find the PDF. May even be posted here somewhere, don't recall where I saw it first.
Every Solstice GXP and Sky Red Line out lined the engine as well as most SS a Cobalt and some HHR stories.

The issues is these were all low volume cars and not anything mainstream like a Taurus or Focus.

GM now has a new marking manager from Hyundai who said he would come if he was given the freedom to marktet without going through 14 people first with an idea. GM also has new marketing companies for the first time in near 90 years in Chevys case.

We have already seen a little differance alread but we will see some major ones here this summer.

GM has money and a lot of new product coming many here have no idea about so this will suprise many as GM is not talking much on new product 5 years ahead like they did with the Volt and Camaro to keep stock prices up.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Just another geek with a pen who has their own opinion and doesn't like GM.

I don't let those rags bother me.

I go by my own wits and experiences.

We don't need them selling HHR SS'. I'd rather see them leave it alone.

It's what makes our rides unique and rare.

My SS will turn a head quicker than the hum-drum, see-everyday, run-of-the-mill Audi A4.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway
How many Chevy / GM advertisements are there in the magazine?

It makes a difference.
I went back and looked to see if this was the issue...
GM had 2 two page adds (4 total) Honda and Ford both had a 1 page add?

Quick Reply: Car and Driver articles