HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

CEL after Reflash (and my dealer's an idiot)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM

CEL after Reflash (and my dealer's an idiot)

After an factory update to my ECU, which I mentioned in another thread, my SS threw a CEL P2188 - Fuel Trim Rich @ Idle. After keeping the car for 2 days, I just got a call that my IC needs replacement

Let me back up a bit, a while back, I got a small ding in my IC from debris....and I do mean small. Maybe the diameter of a dime with a maximum depth of 2mm. It only affects one row of the IC. I immediately had the IC pressure tested and it was fine.

Fast forward till today, roughly 3000 miles after the damage: Service tech tells me the ding on my IC is forcing a restriction in the system causing my trim at idle to be approximately 25% high...LOL. Basically, they can't diagnose the issue, but since I have a visable ding on the IC....that's got to be it (and the only thing they could come up with that's not warranty).

A little background on me, I own a machine shop that specializes in turbo engines and I've been building turbo cars (as income...not just hobby) since 1993. I wonder how many people get duped by dealerships by stuff like this. Rant over
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM

stuppid dealers.

they just want to move product in and out as quick as possible.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
I wonder how many people get duped by dealerships by stuff like this. Rant over
I'm afraid a lot more than we could ever realize. I go through this every time I take my vehicle in. I wish the dealers would just stop and take time to really figure out the problem.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 PM

ask them to put it in writing, that if you have the ic replaced, and that does not fix the issue, you will be reimbursed for all parts and labor, and you wan the old parts also.

another thing, i'd ask for a Chevy rep to explain to me why the ic has no protection from road debri.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 AM

I posed that exact thing to them. "Sure, I'll pay to replace it and then you'll reimburse me when it doesn't fix it."

Chevy's response. "We can't do that, it doesn't work that way."

I also got a call after I picked it up stating that since the problem is from damage, I'm responsible for the 3 days time they kept it and my rental car THEY put me in. I told the service writer to get ready for the fight of his life (legally of course... ). I looked the car over after I got it back, and tightened up the charge pipe clamps. Code hasn't returned and the car runs great. In fact, I THINK my boost is a little higher than normal now. Issue was likely loose clamps, as the Solstice/Sky guys have had issues with that too. Now I just have to figure out how to handle the stealership

PS: I also have a nice greasy smudge on my headliner above the driver's door now
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
I posed that exact thing to them. "Sure, I'll pay to replace it and then you'll reimburse me when it doesn't fix it."

Chevy's response. "We can't do that, it doesn't work that way."

I also got a call after I picked it up stating that since the problem is from damage, I'm responsible for the 3 days time they kept it and my rental car THEY put me in. I told the service writer to get ready for the fight of his life (legally of course... ). I looked the car over after I got it back, and tightened up the charge pipe clamps. Code hasn't returned and the car runs great. In fact, I THINK my boost is a little higher than normal now. Issue was likely loose clamps, as the Solstice/Sky guys have had issues with that too. Now I just have to figure out how to handle the stealership

PS: I also have a nice greasy smudge on my headliner above the driver's door now
All turbo cars can have boost leaks, especially straight from the factory. Those OEM worm drive hose clamps on the IC hoses are a joke. They back off and cause leaks. When I went to Stage 2 on my SRT-4 I was not happy with my boost. When I checked all four OEM clamps on my IC hoses were finger tight and leaking. When I went to T-bolt clamps on the IC hoses and zip tied all vacuum hoses I gained 2 psi and became extremely happy with my Stage 2 upgrade. This is my boost leak checker.
DCP_2617.jpg?
It clamps on to the turbo, you fill up the system with 20 psi of air and look for leaks. We use this on both the PT turbo and the SRT-4. It's easy to make different variations of it to make it work.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM

T-bolt clamps

where is the best place to get the T-bolt clamps?

Last edited by SSROADSTER; 04-07-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
where is the best place to get the T-bot clamps?

I got them from a company on the internet. Don't remember where, but if you do a search on the net you will come up with a bunch of places that sell them.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by white heat
I got them from a company on the internet. Don't remember where, but if you do a search on the net you will come up with a bunch of places that sell them.
how many do we need and what size............thanks.....Tom
did not mean to hijack the thread
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
how many do we need and what size............thanks.....Tom
did not mean to hijack the thread
Should need five. Four for the IC hoses and one for the turbo to airbox hose. Sorry I don't know the sizes for the SS.