HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Feedback on trading an LT for an SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 AM

Feedback on trading an LT for an SS

Hi everyone.

So it's coming up to a year since I got my brand new 09 LT. I have 17,000 kms and mostly love the car. However, I recently found a black 08 SS with 80,000 kms and I'm seriously considering trading. (the SS is a GM certified used)

I want the nicer look, seats, handling and power of the SS. I would be giving up my USB which i love but would gain XM which i miss from my previous car. I would also be losing the warranty as opposed to my LT which still has plenty remaining. Do any SS owners regret getting the SS? Are parts more expensive or harder to obtain? I have never owned a turbo...is reliability worse? In addition, I mountain bike so I have a hitch rack on the LT and apparently i can get a hitch for an SS but that would require minor lower bumper trimming which i'm not opposed to but if anyone has a photo i'd appreciate seeing it.

I welcome any advice. Thanks, Rod.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 AM

I love the SS and wouldn't ever consider driving any other trim of the HHR (no offense to those who do, there are just too many stylistic/performance issues for me to consider it). Power, usable space and gas mileage (when I don't hammer on it) are all great.

I've never had problems obtaining parts through the dealership, but certain things will wear out faster and cost more - brakes and tires especially (needed new front brakes at 28k and I feel like tires won't be much longer; also just had my battery replaced under warranty). If there's no warranty at all I'd be a little worried, since I've been in for the automatic brake fix, and a couple times for intermittent boost issues relating to the GMPP kit and random rattles and shakes here and there.

As far as bike racks...you could look into a GM roof rack and work from there rather than trimming the bumper for a hitch rack if that appeals to you. Check this thread, might be pictures there: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/hitch-ss-34477/
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM

re

like Patrick i didnt even consider the HHR in standard trim...the SS is the model you want for the things you mention you like - i dont think you will regret it - if it was well kept you shouldnt have any problems save the minor issues the SS has - every car has some quirks - i find this one to be no worse than any performance car i've owned - and i've had a bunch
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 AM

I bought an '07 HHR 1LT new before the SS came out. I then traded for an '08 HHR SS after they launched and have been pretty satisfied
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM

keep the LT. Its not worth trading for it. sure you get more horsepower but it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM

I also only considered an SS. But for your situation, my biggest concern would be the financial bath you could take by making this trade. You are going from a near brand new car to a vehicle with more than 4X the mileage on it. That being said, I am very happy with my SS, and I'm at 56K miles, and have had to make almost no repairs on it. Within the last year all I've done is replace tires, brake pads and change the oil.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Keep looking. That SS has way too many miles! Yours is still fresh. I suggest you keep looking because this deal is not very good.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Like others here, the SS was my only choice. Nothing against the LSes and LTs, and I've seen some modded that I like, but they just don't do it for me.

Having said that, that's an awful lot of miles to give up. If you really have your heart set on an SS, there's got to be one with less km than that available somewhere.

As for any issues, I'm at over 28k and have had the LNF Turbo Upgrade for over 20k, and have had not a single problem.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Why not just turbo or super charge yours?

Then for cosmetics... bumper swaps if you want. Handling/lowering could be accomplished with suspension change out.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, good advice both ways which is why I posted... to get other's perspective. I think that I will keep the LT cause it just makes more sense and the SS's higher mileage really spooks me particularly because I don't know how the previous owner treated the car. I still want a fun car and I have wanted a Fiero (stop laughing :P) since I was a kid so I am going to keep searching for a good one and keep the LT as my "grown-up car". All that said, I will be seeing the dealer this Friday to test drive and talk price but I will likely walk away from the SS.

Thanks again. Rod

Quick Reply: Feedback on trading an LT for an SS