HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

First Oil Change...what a Snap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:41 AM

Thumbs up First Oil Change...what a Snap!!!

Just completed my 1st oil & filter change on the SS..by far the easiest oil change I have ever done
No need to jack the front end up at all, you can reach under for the oil bolt.
what you need for those interested:
1-15 mm closed or combo wrench
2-oil filter nut adapter
3-wobble socket...(very important) as this is needed with your long extension
to undo the oil filter housing
And there you go....what a snap it was....some additional info, put a paper towel or clean rag in front of the oil housing, as some oil will drip out when you remove the filter. I found it easier to turn the cap with the filter upside down to remove from the engine compartment as it is a little tight right in that area. Use paper towels to absorb the remaining oil in the filter housing in the engine, as this oil does not drain...one or two paper towels do the trick.
The oil filter top has a dot on the top, so when you retighten, and the dot comes to the front, you will know and feel that the cap is tight, my cap was very easy to undo, I don't think it was tight enough from the factory. Also the oil filter, looked funky to me, as the elements were not straight anymore, but were slanted as if there was alot of pressure on the filter. Will see how the new filter does for the next change.
Mileage at change.....2754.....oil life @73%
I know alot has been stated on when to change, but I am glad I did it today.
What a pleasure it was........
Old 05-17-2008, 09:18 AM

I actually found the first oil change to be very frustrating. The actual oil change was easy, finding the proper tools was a real pain. Had to go to four different places to find a 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. The next oil change will be easy.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BowTieBob
I actually found the first oil change to be very frustrating. The actual oil change was easy, finding the proper tools was a real pain. Had to go to four different places to find a 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. The next oil change will be easy.

I can understand why....I made sure I had all of the right items needed to do the job been there, done that, no need to do again
It was and is the easiest oil change I ever did, great not to have to jack the front-end up

Last edited by SSROADSTER; 05-17-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
XXL

What filter did you use? Brand and PN#?
Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
What filter did you use? Brand and PN#?
Purolator PureONE Part# PL15436
as I had mentioned in another thread, PepBoys is having sale when you buy
5 qts on Pennzoil Syn and above filter it's only around $25 plus you get a rebate after mail-in for $7 I went back and bought another set today...quite a bargain for Syn Oil
Old 05-17-2008, 02:04 PM

Here is a small list of oil filters for the HHR SS 2.0 turbo
Wix-57082
Fram-CH9018 or TG9018
Bosch-3324
K&N-HP 7000
Mobil 1-M1C 151
Purolator Pure one-PL15436
I personally would never use a Fram but use what you like. I also prefer Pennzoil Platinum over Mobil 1. Just my 2Cents
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM

How much is the filter???? Up at the Advance Auto Parts store they have one of each brand cut open so you can see how they are made. Fram is the last one I would buy. I use to buy them but not anymore. I can't remember what brand I did buy but it was sort of a dark blue metallic color. It was so nice looking it was ashame that it was going under my Dakota. As for the oil I have been using Mobil 1 since 1987 when I bought my 87 Shelby Charger Turbo. I have ran it in my Vette, Thunderbird SC, Dakota Sport and my wifes Mustang GT and have no complaints. If the price was right I would try another synthetic oil. But we don't have any Pep Boys around the area.

PS. Thank you so much for the heads up on how to do the oil change. It always sucks the first time you do an oil change. You just never know what kind of mess it is going to be.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by BowTieBob
Here is a small list of oil filters for the HHR SS 2.0 turbo
Wix-57082
Fram-CH9018 or TG9018
Bosch-3324
K&N-HP 7000
Mobil 1-M1C 151
Purolator Pure one-PL15436
I personally would never use a Fram but use what you like. I also prefer Pennzoil Platinum over Mobil 1. Just my 2Cents
Here is a list I put together in May 2007 for the 2.2 and 2.4.
The Fram and Wix numbers above are also in my list, so the 2.0 likely uses the standard size Ecotec cartridge filters.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by HotHHRSS
How much is the filter???? Up at the Advance Auto Parts store they have one of each brand cut open so you can see how they are made. Fram is the last one I would buy. I use to buy them but not anymore. I can't remember what brand I did buy but it was sort of a dark blue metallic color. It was so nice looking it was ashame that it was going under my Dakota. As for the oil I have been using Mobil 1 since 1987 when I bought my 87 Shelby Charger Turbo. I have ran it in my Vette, Thunderbird SC, Dakota Sport and my wifes Mustang GT and have no complaints. If the price was right I would try another synthetic oil. But we don't have any Pep Boys around the area.

PS. Thank you so much for the heads up on how to do the oil change. It always sucks the first time you do an oil change. You just never know what kind of mess it is going to be.

glad it will help you out...

I used the Purolator PureONE PL15436, which was around $8 or $9

I also have used nothing else than Mobil 1 over the years, but with this sale, I just couldn't pass it up
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM

Black Rose

thanks great list

Quick Reply: First Oil Change...what a Snap!!!