HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Fold away plate from Altech

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Fold away plate from Altech

Here is my new fold away plate I got a few weeks ago. I just got my SS back and with the new bumper cover I can now use this with no holes in the bumper.

If you can keep the dealer from putting the screws in this is a nice options for around $45.

They told me an electric one will be out later. Hm I will have to upgrade.

Displayed

Folded Down

Just slide it under and it is stowed away.

Summit Racing has these as do many Corvette retailers.

Not a perfect solution but a better option than screwing the braket to the bumper.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 PM

That is actually a pretty cool option for you guys that need a front plate. G.B.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 AM

I don't need one in Ohio as mostt police departments don;t really care about front plates.

But we do have some that use them as a way to bring money in and I can just pull it up.

It mounts in 3 holes. I only had to drill two since I used the one already there in the center. It made finding the cent mark very easy.

I had seen one locally here on a new Z06 and liked what I saw. On the web I have seen the Solstice and Sky owners move to this as their plate really looks back on the front.

On word of warning do watch curbs and tall parking stops as this thing in not much lower but as low as we are now every inch counts.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 AM

This may be an option for me. Missouri requires a front plate but I hate the look. Haven't had one since I bought the HHR, just lucky I guess, I could use this for everyday legal driving and just fold it up when I want.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM

If you have it folded down, and then get pulled over by a cop, can they bust you for not having it shown?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 AM

Also being from Ohio and have relatives and friends being police officers, here is the low down with the front plate in Ohio.

It is mandatory. There is no question about that. Now, because you don't get caught having one doesn't mean that you don't need one.

The police officers I talk to said that it is a law mainly to be used if someone doesn't have one and looks suspicious, it gives the officer reason to pull that person over. Not to give a ticket for not having a front plate, but rather probable cause to check out the situation.
As for the mod. I do like. I wish there was a solution that wasn't so low as you mentioned. But it looks real nice.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
If you can keep the dealer from putting the screws in
We quit putting the front plates on Corvettes and all SS models long ago. When people come in to pick there tags up we let them decide if they want the plate bracket installed. Most don't, even though they are required in Texas.

I like the option of the hidden plate though. I will suggest to the Parts Manager that he stock them.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-11-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by orbitalrage
Also being from Ohio and have relatives and friends being police officers, here is the low down with the front plate in Ohio.

It is mandatory. There is no question about that. Now, because you don't get caught having one doesn't mean that you don't need one.

The police officers I talk to said that it is a law mainly to be used if someone doesn't have one and looks suspicious, it gives the officer reason to pull that person over. Not to give a ticket for not having a front plate, but rather probable cause to check out the situation.
As for the mod. I do like. I wish there was a solution that wasn't so low as you mentioned. But it looks real nice.

In Ohio you have to have the plate displayed it is the law.

Now the case as you pointed out is true but many small towns raise money with petty tickets. Here in Akron they really don't care but in some of the smaller towns it could be as much as $100 for not diplaying.

If they pull you over to check you out most times it is just a warning if you not doing anything else.

The State Troopers on the other hand are the main force that keep the state from removing this law. Everytime it comes up the head of the Ohio State Police get the state to not pass the bill.

I have also been told many officers that departments love the front plate at it makes a great target for Lazer speed enforcment.

Anyway if you don't have one you run the risk and the risk depends on where you drive and live. The law is you have to have one displayed in Ohio so driver beware.

Either way with cost of making plates on the rise the state could cust the cost in half of making them so I figure it is a matter of time Ohio will get one plate in time. If that happens I will not have two holes in the front bumper.

As low as it is If I can get it into my drive it should not be too bad anywhere else. But as low as the front is and as high as some curbs are you will have to watch a little more.

Now once the electric remote deploy is out just press the button and put it up while the cop is pulling you over.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Now once the electric remote deploy is out just press the button and put it up while the cop is pulling you over.
Bond, James Bond....
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM

Summit Racings part# is APR-400 and it is $49.95. They keep these in stock.

Quick Reply: Fold away plate from Altech