HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

funny story

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM

funny story

On Saturday I was at a picnic hosted by members of my wife's extended family. I was bored out of my mind after about an hour, so I struck up a conversation with a young guy (20 or so) who is married to my wife's cousin's daughter. I knew he was a big time Honda Civic person, and I overheard him talking on the phone about an upcoming Civic club meet. And I knew that his previous Civic was boosted, so he knew a lot about turbos. So I asked him if he would like to check out my HHR SS.

His eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning "you bought an SS???". So we went out front and he was like a kid in a candy store checking out the SS. He asked me a million questions, and he must have taken 25 picture with his cell phone. All the while he's on the phone with his Civic friends, telling them he's forwarding him pics of this awesome HHR SS, giving them all kinds of details "dude, you wouldn't believe how awesome this SS is.....etc etc".

It was hilarious. I can't say I was prepared for all this attention, but the guy was genuinely appreciating and loving the SS. It was a cool experience. I can't wait until his next Civic event when all they talk about is the HHR SS!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Gotta love it...

When you can have a cross generational connection with an auto enthusiast, regardless make or model, and how it puts wind in your sail when discussing your (ride) passion.

Good story JerSSey,

Steve- former S. Jersey resident
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
When you can have a cross generational connection with an auto enthusiast, regardless make or model, and how it puts wind in your sail when discussing your (ride) passion.

Good story JerSSey,

Steve- former S. Jersey resident
yeah great story. I never believed how many (I'm 29) much older guys find appreciation for this car. They love the old school lines, the polished 18's and when I say 130hp per liter, jaws drop. They say what kinda mileage, I say 30mpg min on the highway, and if you wring it out youll reach 150mph.
All for 22800

Instant respect for the SS
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
yeah great story. I never believed how many (I'm 29) much older guys find appreciation for this car. They love the old school lines, the polished 18's and when I say 130hp per liter, jaws drop. They say what kinda mileage, I say 30mpg min on the highway, and if you wring it out youll reach 150mph.
All for 22800

Instant respect for the SS
The 18's probably got the biggest response.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
The 18's probably got the biggest response.
Most think they are aftermarket. I like them, but what i really like wont fit the bolt pattern.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 PM

I've had my SS for 2 months now and every time I see my uncle he insists on checking it out. He's a bit Ford guy so it makes it all the more amusing.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM

Add this to things I did not know:

When showing my SS, I remotely started it up but did not put the key in the ignition. When I opened up the hood, the engine turned off. Same thing happened when I opened the tailgate.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
Most think they are aftermarket. I like them, but what i really like wont fit the bolt pattern.
well, you could try for getting the wheels you really like custom drilled. most of the good, well known companies are more than willing to work with you to make the sale. might make the cost go up some, but hey, ifit's what you really want and will make you happier with the car, why not right?

me on the other hand, the wheels i really want won't fit my budget haha. about $3000 for the set. BBS RS-GT...yes, they come in 5x110
Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Add this to things I did not know:

When showing my SS, I remotely started it up but did not put the key in the ignition. When I opened up the hood, the engine turned off. Same thing happened when I opened the tailgate.
Not sure about the tailgate but the hood needs a switch as a safety feature to disable remote start when it is open for rather obvious reasons.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
well, you could try for getting the wheels you really like custom drilled. most of the good, well known companies are more than willing to work with you to make the sale. might make the cost go up some, but hey, ifit's what you really want and will make you happier with the car, why not right?

me on the other hand, the wheels i really want won't fit my budget haha. about $3000 for the set. BBS RS-GT...yes, they come in 5x110
Yes those are cool, why so pricy...are they crazy light, forged ??
The price is just to much though.

Quick Reply: funny story