HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Help I have been bitten by the SS bug!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM

Exclamation Help I have been bitten by the SS bug!

Well I seem to have been bitten by the SS bug
I love my HHR LT2 and it has enough power to get around
Awesome car loaded with everything and kept up great
I am at 98,000 Miles
Dealer only wants to give me $6,500.00 on trade in I know I can get more if I sell it out right but dont want to sell it and then find out the ss I am interested in is gone.
Anyhow I normally race my studebaker below and bring the 55 out of states to goodguys shows etc.
I would like to bring my family to more of these events and with the economy the way it is
$100.00 plus for fuel to race
$700 for slicks every other year
$100.00 every other year for new 5 point harness
$Window net replacing etc
towing car to and from track when I go far away gets old

The HHR SS is seeming more and more able to fit what I would like to do

Looking for everyones input here I am really stuck in the middle but I think I know which way I am going to end up going
the things I will miss on the ss is
that there is no sunroof
no heated seats
and it only has 6 speakers and my 2lt has 7

it has to be a auto
from what I have read some people are going 15.20 at like 93 mph in the quarter stock with the ss
I am pretty positive that with a tune I could get my 2 lt to go 15.90 and it already runs close to 90 in the quarter as is.
but being able to take the ss with mods into the 13's would be awesome.

So I guess I am looking for input from others
Either I need to accept that I have the bug or I need to get a cure so I can go back to normal and quit thinking about an HHR ss

either way I think all of the hhr's are great cars.

any advice would be great

also anyone know how rare it is to have a hhr ss with no sunroof in 2009
this was a custom ordered car by a customer who actually went down to bowling green to pick up his corvette a few years back so that tells me that this was owned by someone who would hopefully take care of it

Last edited by bigjacksauto; 03-25-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM

I can save you loads of money! Just give me the Stude.....problem solved!

In my 57 years owned about 60 cars trucks and motorcycles. Every morning there is a Victory Red SS in the driveway waiting to do my bidding. Hauling grand kids to hauling 8' 2X4's, it does it all!

It is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever owned but would never have even considered a HHR non-SS.

Every '09 auto I've seen has a sunroof and every stick has none.(There's a rhyme in there somewhere!) Heated seats are a relatively easy addition so I'd not let that consideration kill any deal.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Look around as there are still many for sale on the market. You should be able to find a good used one with the options you want.

The heated seats are not an issue as with the material they are they are not cold like leather. Also they made sunroof each year and with a stick.

In fact it is harder to find a less than loaded SS than a fully loaded one.

The SS with a little playing around will do a High 13 sec and with a lot of messing it can go even faster. Just understand the ability to break things goes up with more speed.

The Turbo Upgrade from GM will put you in the low 14 sec to possible 13:90 in the right conditions. Just read up on what many here can do and have done.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM

I recently went from a 2LT to an SS. I went from no sunroof to having one. I admit I had the SS bug starting in 2008 when they came out, but it took me until this year to get one. You'll enjoy the SS for more than just racing. (I think I can tell which way you are leaning on this choice) I love the suspension and the 4 disc brakes.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM

When I bought my 2008 SS, at the time I was originally looking for a 2LT (heated seats, chrome, leather, fog lights, all the goodies). My son told me about the SS, so I test drove one at a dealer. Right at that point, I decided that this "sports car in disguise" was extremely under rated and under publicized. I put a deposit on the SS on the spot and never looked back. It's such a driver's car that now my wife steals it whenever she can, although her SUV has all of those luxury goodies mentioned earlier.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM

How much is the Turbo upgrade from gm?
Also unfortunately I would have to drive this in our cny winter
Have new 17" snows could I buy 17" rims and fit these tires on for the winter
Not really looking to race much just nice to know its there
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
How much is the Turbo upgrade from gm?
Also unfortunately I would have to drive this in our cny winter
Have new 17" snows could I buy 17" rims and fit these tires on for the winter
Not really looking to race much just nice to know its there
You could definitely get new 17" rims and use them for the winter. With the traction control, and ESC these cars do very well in winter. GM upgrade is something like 5-600 for the parts, then 1-200 installation. Do a search to get current going rates. You should at least consider going with an aftermarket tune as it would cost less, but you might loose powertrain warranty coverage with it.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM

I traded in my 07 2lt with 55,xxx miles on it for a 08 SS. the dealer payed off my trade in. i owed over $11,000 and they said it was only worth about $8,500. i kept prying and they paid it off. and i got my 08 SS with 34,000 miles for $17,000. i know that is a bit high but they did give me a ton of money for my 07. you can try to get more money for it and bounce around dealerships to get a higher trade in value. any dealer will probably match it if youre buying a car.

oh yeah, rub some ointment on that bug bite
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 PM

So what should the boost be on a stock auto
How about 0-60 MPH
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM

max boost is 16-17psi. 0-60 is anywhere between 6 and 7 seconds depending on how you launch it. im pretty sure i can be sub 6 with my programmer