HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by monster5601
Betcha you don't pay $200 a month to heat your home half the year.

I'll take $4.11 gas over my $3.85 a gallon for 12 months of nice weather and next to nothing heating bills.

I have three sons living in the peoples republic of California, they hate the gas prices and are jealous of my MPG (what is with the gas out there) so I tell them come on home. They rather stay.
My house is about $400- $500 for heat, then add elcetric on top of that!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Whitewolf
Geeeeezzzzzzzz is the word.......it's about time people slow down.....It saves lives and improves gas mileage.....both important.........and at the price gas is now and it will be much higher in mid summer......lowering the speed limit.....55mph on most highways....and 60 mph on the interstates. It's happened before and can happen again.....My 2cents worth....ww
Big problem with that (aside from really irritating a bunch of folks). Back in the old days, most vehicles would get better mileage at 55 than 65. Now, virtually all vehicles are geared and tuned to get best fuel efficiency at 65 mph. I proved this even in my 4WD Silverado several times over under very controlled commutes, and it is absolutely very significant in my 5 spd SS (way better MPG at 62-65 than 55). This applies to level road, not hillclimbing. No argument that the SUV's cruising at 80+ mph are sucking gas big time though.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
My salesman gave me a "complementary" fill up with 87 when i bought the HHR 30 days ago. I didn't notice any difference. I didn't go WOT until almost 1500 miles on the motor. I run either 93 or 94, but I'll try 87 on my next trip to PA and see if I can average over 33mpg.
You'll get worse mpg burning 87 and if you get on it you will notice a difference in performance, lack of it. If I'd really cared about great mpg I would have bought a Honda. If I stay out of boost I get 5-8 better mpg. That's the trick.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by white heat
You'll get worse mpg burning 87 and if you get on it you will notice a difference in performance, lack of it. If I'd really cared about great mpg I would have bought a Honda. If I stay out of boost I get 5-8 better mpg. That's the trick.
Maybe you can have a talk to my right foot about keeping out of boost. It is having too much fun under pressure
Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by NickHHRSS
Maybe you can have a talk to my right foot about keeping out of boost. It is having too much fun under pressure
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by white heat
You'll get worse mpg burning 87
That is not true.

and if you get on it you will notice a difference in performance, lack of it.
That is true.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:13 AM

I disagree c2vette

I challenge you to get 36 mpg for a full tank (fill up after 515 miles cause I won't come an pick you up off the highway) while going over 62 mph. We have 2 liters, and when out of the boost they are working their butts of (read maximum efficency) keeping us moving. So going faster is just pushing more air. Not increasing economy. And to eliminate the need for a retort, just drive on the highway, (lol) slowdown to 62 and find a long SLACK hill and take it out of gear and GLIDE. See if you accelerate. See if you maintain speed. See if you slow down. Note how steep of a hill is required to accelerate over 62 mph. The air infront of your vehicle is analogus to a parachutte out back. I can't see how dragging a larger parachutte (read driving over 62) will make your efficency go up. BTW, your already in 5th by 35mph let alone 62.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Interesting Thread, Good Read !
Old 05-01-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
I challenge you to get 36 mpg for a full tank (fill up after 515 miles cause I won't come an pick you up off the highway) while going over 62 mph. We have 2 liters, and when out of the boost they are working their butts of (read maximum efficency) keeping us moving. So going faster is just pushing more air. Not increasing economy. And to eliminate the need for a retort, just drive on the highway, (lol) slowdown to 62 and find a long SLACK hill and take it out of gear and GLIDE. See if you accelerate. See if you maintain speed. See if you slow down. Note how steep of a hill is required to accelerate over 62 mph. The air infront of your vehicle is analogus to a parachutte out back. I can't see how dragging a larger parachutte (read driving over 62) will make your efficency go up. BTW, your already in 5th by 35mph let alone 62.
I think you are misunderstanding several things here. You are absolutely correct that air resistance goes up considerably with speed (by the square of the velocity in fact), that is simple junior high physics, and I am not contradicting that. What I am saying and have proven is that on a level road at 62-65 mph I can get 32 mpg over a 20 mile level stretch. When I drive at 55 my mileage drops to 29 MPG, and is the same in 4th or 5th although it feels like it is lugging in 5th. Maybe there are subtle differences in fuel mixtures in different states (how much ethanol?) I use 91 octane. I have never been able to get 36 mpg as some claim, and I have experimented many many times on this stretch of road.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by monster5601
Betcha you don't pay $200 a month to heat your home half the year.

I'll take $4.11 gas over my $3.85 a gallon for 12 months of nice weather and next to nothing heating bills.

I have three sons living in the peoples republic of California, they hate the gas prices and are jealous of my MPG (what is with the gas out there) so I tell them come on home. They rather stay.
I wish my gas/electric bill was only $200 a month. My SDGE bill averages around $320-$350 every month. Even though I live in SD county, we do use the heat in the winter and natural gas is so expensive, sometimes my winter energy bill exceeds $400.

Quick Reply: HHR SS 5 speed