HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Is the HHR SS The Best Vehicle Ever Made

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM

Is the HHR SS The Best Vehicle Ever Made

Near the top IMHO. Had to think about this awhile. I had a few minor quality issues that annoyed me, but all fixed quickly and I have been enjoying the car ever since (currently @ 20,000 miles). Outstanding handling, power, and great mileage. I have driven and owned a wide variety of cars, but I really have to say this HHR SS is the most fun for the dollar of any of them. I really do look forward to my commute over a twisty road every day. I know there are some folks here with some real problems, but I looked on other forums, (Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Nissan) and guess what? there are hundreds of reliability and service complaints on those sites too. Even in the small sample of our neighborhood I have seen a BMW 540 and a Lexus turned back in for refunds after months of problems, but we still have 3 HHRs going strong.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:37 AM

A lot of people feel that way about their rides.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 AM

For the price... I think the HHR SS is the best car for the performance/economy/fun factors. Others, like the VW GTI or Mazdaspeed 3 or Subaru WRX series offer similar degrees of these attributes--but... when you trump this with the utility of the SS it wins hands-down! And, the SS is the lowest priced of all these. Fantastic job, GM!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 AM

1) Its not a sign post for the coppers.."Hey!I'M A HOT ROD!Pull me over!"
2) It can actually carry stuff
3) It gets excellent milage
4) Its comfortable ,smooth and quiet
5) ANYBODY can drive it and not feel out of place(or stereotyped)
6) High ratings and reliability AND safety
7) Fast out of the box (and easily upgraded with or without parts)
8) Priced like an economy car
9) Race it sat,go to church Sun,Drive it cross country Mon(with the same type gas)
10) PLeasing appearance
11) Can carry stuff,lots a stuff
13) Did I mention fast out of the box?
Now many vehicles do you know that can claim ALL this?
Vettes Camaros and Mustang are not long haul vehicles
Most the rice burners look alike, and are foriegn,and arn't American made,and expensive,and arn't made here,and sound funny and burn rice and why do they put a rear downforce wing on a front wheel drive car??
Sporty trucks arn't family oriented
European cars are expensive and even more expensive to modify
Gee..this can go on forever........you be the judge
If the worse you can think about are the cup holders and door lock knobs....your looking tooo hard!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 AM

After seeing and test driving the 09 WRX I think that may have taken a spot in my heart due to being virtually identical in power, 265, but with AWD and the fact that it sounds amazing. One of those may just be my next car (in addition to the SS) next year.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 AM

I've been fortunate to have had quite a few cars in my life, and I must say I am very pleased with my HHR SS. It does so many things that you need a car/mini truck to do, and does them well. A great combination of practicality, as well as fun to drive, and unique enough to get alot of positive looks. Yeah, it doesn't have lighted vanity mirrors, but I didn't expect them in a low 20's cost car. If your expectations of frills are tempered by the value of the product you are buying, I think most will be pleased.
As far as quality, my HHR is very well put together, and has been trouble free. I do feel for those who have had problems, because honestly, its hard to get competent technicians. Thats one thing that hurts GM, if a guy gets his car fixed right, and courtiously, the first time, its easy to forget about it. But when you struggle with a dealer over warranty, or a return to repair again the same thing, then it sticks in the consumers mind.
I drove 60 miles to buy from a "competent" dealer, and to avoid the "can't do" dealer. It shouldn't have to be that way.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Great thread. I love my SS! Hope to keep it as my daily driver for many, many years to come!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM

I liked all my HHR's. First was a 06 that I got in 05, had it until I traded it in on the SS in Apr 08. Really, really like the SS, except for a rim leaking air it has been trouble free and with the black color it (somewhat) matches my 94 Impala SS. In stock form the HHR will put it to the Impala. Both have about the same HP expect the Impala is heavier.

Just bought the better half an 09.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Add the Stage 1 tune and there aren't any in the same class and price. If you haven't done the GM Stage 1 tune, get it. You will smile and smile and smile....
Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

My short answer is no. However, it's the best car I've ever had. Certainly it's not a take-no-prisoners 4x4 like my old car, but the fact that someone would conceive, design, manufacture and market a 4-door family car that gets 30 mpg and 0-60 in under 7 seconds proves that there are other people in the world with serious mental issues besides me.

Quick Reply: Is the HHR SS The Best Vehicle Ever Made