HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR/SS with kit; Boost Versus Vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 PM

here it goes again...If your not staged 87 gas is fine..normal driving is not really affected...I saw no noticable worthy of complaining about changes in fuel milage between the two.. if I were to want to run the vehicle then I'd get up on the 91/93( a bit of planning involved). several others here will back this up...even in "spirited" driving there was plenty of power available..that is tire churning power! Don't be so afraid to t5ry things with thses vehicles..there are programmed..they can handle it..its not like your old 10:1 compression high top piston small cc headed mechanically timed small blocks with a too large cam in it..this motor is set to "maintain " itself under adverse conditions... Just try climbing a steep wet slippery hill loaded and see what happens.....
Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Do you get the same gas mileage with 87 octane as you do with 92 or 93? I don't, but perhaps it's related to my driving habits.

Do you always "lightfoot" the throttle? I often do, but I put my foot in as often as I don't.
They delivered the car with a tank of 89 mid grade in it. The first tank ran 27.8 mpg. I've only put 87 in since, and I've averaged 28.5 with a high of 29.7 and a low of 27.8. I drive 46 miles each way on a mostly 2 lane 50mph limit road with about 10 traffic lights so I don't have a lot of "punch it" opportunity. The times I needed it, passing on the 2 lane highway, interstate merging, etc, I definitely have no problem with the performance running 87.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Id hate to say it but I actually got better milage with 87 prior to the kit then I do with 93 with the kit.....
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 AM

On Upgrade vehicles can run all day on Regular with no harm. It is the owners personel choice if they want the Approx extra 20 hp or not the premium provides. There is nothing wrong with either choice.

Chevy has built in thei as recomended but not required to help capture the sales of people who do not want to pay the price of the higher performing gas.

As for MPG there is no real differance in with either.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 AM

Exclamation Update to the original thread.

1st I shall apologize to all about missing the vacuum "In Hg" designation. I looked thru the bottom part of my glasses and "sho-nuff" there it was.

And a sincere thanks to all that have taken time to add input.

Here's where we are today.

Chevy/GM engineering confirmed the HHR/SS with the LNF stage 1 kit installed should see 28 lbs of boost.

1. Chevy dealer has had the vehicle 4 days out of last week.
2. They have torn down and inspected everything in the inlet side - reinstalled and re-inspected, and ran the car under load; result no boost.
3. They removed and inspected the turbo and measured each and every one of the vanes- reinstalled and inspected and ran the car under load; result no boost.
4. Upon recommendation of Chevrolet engineering, removed the catalytic converter and ran the car under load w/o catalytic converter in the system; result no boost.
(Sub-note apparently ONE HHR/SS has had the catalytic converter problem knocking down boost)
5. Re-installed all components, inspected and ran the car under load; result no boost.

Go-forward Plan: All diagnostic paperwork is being sent to GM/Chevy engineering for evaluation. This process is expected to take about 5 working days. The service manager will keep me apprised of the outcome, and the next steps.

In all my years of owning GM products (8 of them) I have never seen a dealership or GM take this much time, interest and effort to resolve a customer issue. In this time of great uncertainty I am very impressed.

I will keep everyone appraised as more information is made available.

In the meantime I have the car back and I must agree with the dealer – no improvement
I really hope this helps some one else out there who may be experiencing the same or similar issues.

Sincerely,
Old Push Rod
Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldPushRod
My HHR/SS is experiencing a series of turbo problems. Turbo lag 2-3 seconds, only getting 20 lbs of boost when I should see 30 lbs (LNF kit is installed and has worked correctly). I'm seeing 20lbs of vacuum at idle, close to 30 lbs on de-acceleration, severe hesitation on initial acceleration. On slow initial acceleration I'm still seeing 10lbs vacuum. In addition I'm getting pre-ignition ping sounds (I feed it top tier supreme all the time), and an air pressure leak sound when you get out off the throttle quickly.

There is a reason I do not want to take it back to the selling dealership; but that’s another longer story.

I have a big suspicion that the last time it went to the dealership for the clamp recall that the dealership either didn't put something back, or they put something back in the wrong place. Normally vacuum usually sets around 2-3 lbs.

1) Anyone else having these issues, AND 2) anyone know what I should be pulling for vacuum at idle?
I have the turbo lag problem as well. I'm also maxing out at 10 lbs of Boost. And one other weird thing, when I floor it while I'm already moving, there is a lag and then the power just drops out. I have to take my foot off the gas and then increase the push on the accelerator to get any power.

This is a 2008 SS that I just bought. Maybe it just needs a tune up. But this doesn't seem to be normal.

Anythoughts about the drop in pressure when I floor it.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDocBrown
I have the turbo lag problem as well. I'm also maxing out at 10 lbs of Boost. And one other weird thing, when I floor it while I'm already moving, there is a lag and then the power just drops out. I have to take my foot off the gas and then increase the push on the accelerator to get any power.

This is a 2008 SS that I just bought. Maybe it just needs a tune up. But this doesn't seem to be normal.

*edit* Take it in get it looked at, maybe at least inquire about it. could be a small leak in the charge pipe or something small like that anyway ... who knows, but a dealership should. When my car was stock I'd get a max of 16 psi and I live close to the coast if that helps any perspective.

@OldPushRod: I did a lot of research of the upgrade before I bought it and I never saw any numbers ayin g it would give 28 boost. Almost always for me people would say around 21 (I think I get around 21 but I have my gauge in Kpa so give or take a couple psi) I can see getting 28 psi in extremely ideal conditions or if its really stupid hot outside. Also for turbo lag the only time I ever get turbo lag is if I try to accelerate while still moving and I don't bother shifting down.

I'd love to hear more if you do get a fix to bring it up to 28 psi tho.

Ps I need a psi gauge now
Old 10-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDocBrown

Is yours a stock SS model? 9 to 12 lbs of boost was the norm. On hard accelleration my gage will go to about 12 for an instant and then drop to 20+ on the vacuum side and stay there. . When moving out from a stop - normal acceleration - it never rises above 0. Flooring it at freeway speeds never moves the needle up over zero. That's all part of the problems. Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM

Is yours a stock SS model? 9 to 12 lbs of boost was the norm. On hard accelleration my gage will go to about 12 for an instant and then drop to 20+ on the vacuum side and stay there. . When moving out from a stop - normal acceleration - it never rises above 0. Flooring it at freeway speeds never moves the needle up over zero. That's all part of the problems. Good Luck.
Yes it is a stock SS. And what you describe is exactly right. Only about 10 on the boost meter.

So if this is a not normal, do you know what can be done about it? I have to go into the dealer today to pick up my tags, so I might have them take a look at it.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 PM

When moving out from a stop - normal acceleration - it never rises above 0. Flooring it at freeway speeds never moves the needle up over zero. That's all part of the problems. Good Luck.
Sorry didnt get that from your OP. Went for a drive to Timmy ho's and on my my idle my vac is at about 20, now you have me questioning if thats normal or not, lol.

Quick Reply: HHR/SS with kit; Boost Versus Vacuum