HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM

So what you are saying Tomw, is that the factory accessory HHR guards will work on a SS , with minor trimming?
Did you install both rear and fronts?
Also, what kind of trimming are we looking at ? where?

Since i do a lot of highway driving, whatever i drive tends to get "sandblasted" behind the wheels over time if i don't have a guard installed. True the SS does not have a lotta tire hanging out, but in the 2 weeks i've had mine, i noticed some flingin' of stuff up behind the tires, on the body.

The dealership guy never saw a SS in person until mine, when i double checked to see if they were available for a SS, and he went out to check mine out and commented that prob the fronts (if they would fit) would be very close to dragging the ground.He's also been informed to let me know if/when actual SS guards come out.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:56 PM

That's exactly what I am saying......The GM factory molded accessory Splash guards fit with trimming. On the backs all the trimming is done where the molded part turns into the wheel well,
on the front it needs to notched becasue the SS has a bump the standard HHR doesn't.
It is trial and error fit and refit.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM

Cool!
Just wanted to make sure before i pick up a set

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM

i have a question for tomw, i see you have the rear guards installed bu how about the front ones. i was looking at my own car and on the front it looks completely different, where the side effects come into play a pic or two would be great

thank in advance
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ssman
i have a question for tomw, i see you have the rear guards installed bu how about the front ones. i was looking at my own car and on the front it looks completely different, where the side effects come into play a pic or two would be great

thank in advance

you have to trim for the side trim
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ssman

thank in advance
I answer this since I have them on my SS.

You can bolt the rear right on with new holes drilled in the wheel well. The flap rides a little lower but will match the fender well.

The front needs to be trimmed to the rockler shape. I just mounted the flap with the top mounting bolt and them marked it. Then I took a exacto knife to cut it out and fit it to the rocker. A utility knife will also work fine.

Cut a little less then your line as if you need to trim more you can. Better to under cut then over cut.

Also I tool some additional steps some don't. It is not necessary but it improved the mounting for a more solid mount.

Due to the Ice and Snow here I wanted to use the bottom screw mounts in the flaps. I used a spacer in the front flap and a stailess screw and nut to give it more support. I also used a clamp that holds a window screen in a storm door and a stainless nut and bolt to clamp the bottom of the rear flap.

Also for more support I Used some black silicone between the flap and rocker in the front to better support the flap. IT now has little movement.

At this point these are the best flaps available and I have yet to have anyone not know they were modified to fit.

It look like a difficult install but it really isn't.

hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM

I have them (GM Factory Molded) on my SS. What I did was order them from my dealer. He then trimmed and installed them for $80. That is if you don't want to do the trimming yourself.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 PM

thanks for the pics and advise this should help, just didnt want to start cutting without knowqing it could be done
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Offy
I don't think that the splash guards are needed on the SS. I've got almost 1300 miles on mine and I haven't experienced any snow or slush on the car.
Why is it the further south you go the funnier people get??
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by JB Toronto SS
Why is it the further south you go the funnier people get??
Sun Stroke.

I note the colder people are the more peaceful they are. Notice all the revolutions and wars are where it is often hot or very hot.

Quick Reply: HHR SS Splash Guards