HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Installed some parts today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Installed some parts today.

I installed my Dejon hot side ic piping and crazy steve intercooler today. After some work (read below), I got them both on aligned correctly and holding boost. Now I'm not one to bash anyone and luckily I'm a pretty capable person as far as customizing to fit.

The intercooler was not (no way, no how) a direct bolt on as far as bolting to the bumper brace locations. I had to extend the holes via drill, bend the factory bolt location in on both sides, bend the tabs and bolt the intercooler through the back side of the holes so the tabs were inside, not outside of the bumper bracket.
But wait that was not it, even after doing all that and only having 1/4" between the radiator and the back of the intercooler the bumper brace still would not bolt on with out hitting the edges of the intercooler on both sides.. I had to c-notch out the bumper brace (top/bottom) where the corner of the the intercooler met the bumper on both sides.

My only saving grace in all this madness was that the intercooler inlet/exit pipes aligned perfectly to my hot and cold side piping. Some others said they had problems here also but mine were perfect.

I think that crazy steve needs to recheck his jig or whatever he is using to weld the tabs to the Iintercooler and maybe even make the tabs longer by 3/8 of an inch on both sides.

So a word to the wise be cautious if you buy the intercooler, you might (and might not some people say its direct bolt on) have to do some minor customizing to make it fit correctly.

The Dejon IC pipes went on no problem what so ever.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

Damn im sorry for the trouble you had bud. Its weird there are some people that need to do some work and for others it bolts right up. ****ed up.

But im glad youre liking the setup otherwise
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 PM

That is what is called in the trade-vehicle build variation. Not every vehicle is built exactly alike. So with parts coming out of cottage aftermarket shops, I expect them to be better but experience says they are not, resulting in alot of swear words and busted knuckles, alot. Sorry for the extra effort required in your case.

Let us know how it improves performance.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by got2boostit2
That is what is called in the trade-vehicle build variation. Not every vehicle is built exactly alike. So with parts coming out of cottage aftermarket shops, I expect them to be better but experience says they are not, resulting in alot of swear words and busted knuckles, alot. Sorry for the extra effort required in your case.

Let us know how it improves performance.
You bring up a good point, thus why I said for Steve to maybe make the brackets 3/8" longer per side. I have maybe 1/8" of material left on the edges of both my brackets after elongating my holes. Its always easier to remove material then not having enough.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 AM

I had the same issue with the intercooler. I had to sledge hammer the bumper supprt to make it fit. I will say I do like it and Steve was a help.
Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I installed my Dejon hot side ic piping and crazy steve intercooler today. After some work (read below), I got them both on aligned correctly and holding boost. Now I'm not one to bash anyone and luckily I'm a pretty capable person as far as customizing to fit.

The intercooler was not (no way, no how) a direct bolt on as far as bolting to the bumper brace locations. I had to extend the holes via drill, bend the factory bolt location in on both sides, bend the tabs and bolt the intercooler through the back side of the holes so the tabs were inside, not outside of the bumper bracket.
But wait that was not it, even after doing all that and only having 1/4" between the radiator and the back of the intercooler the bumper brace still would not bolt on with out hitting the edges of the intercooler on both sides.. I had to c-notch out the bumper brace (top/bottom) where the corner of the the intercooler met the bumper on both sides.

My only saving grace in all this madness was that the intercooler inlet/exit pipes aligned perfectly to my hot and cold side piping. Some others said they had problems here also but mine were perfect.

I think that crazy steve needs to recheck his jig or whatever he is using to weld the tabs to the Iintercooler and maybe even make the tabs longer by 3/8 of an inch on both sides.

So a word to the wise be cautious if you buy the intercooler, you might (and might not some people say its direct bolt on) have to do some minor customizing to make it fit correctly.

The Dejon IC pipes went on no problem what so ever.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 AM

BTW, one side of the IC misses the condensor by 1/4 inch but the other side is almost 1/8 too close and I can't do anthing about it. I had to bend stuff.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
BTW, one side of the IC misses the condensor by 1/4 inch but the other side is almost 1/8 too close and I can't do anthing about it. I had to bend stuff.
Mine is like that too. About a 1/4 in off on one side and the other just barely touches but the ic doesnt move so its all good
Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Good to know this info guys. As one who's looking to get an IC + piping soon, I thank you for the heads up!