HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Leather Heated Seats in the SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Leather Heated Seats in the SS

A big factor in my decision to purchase a used 2LT was the heated leather seats. Another was the low pice, because a loaded manual 2007 didn't retain as much resale value after the SS came out in 2008! GM doesn't use the highest grade of leather, but it's good enough. There are only two heating steps, whereas friend's Z4 has 3, but it's good enough. GM never offered a heated or leather seat option for the SS. And now that the SS has been discontinued, we know it never will.

Has anyone done a retrofit of leather/heated seats to an SS? One way would be to try to find heated leather seats from a totalled 2LT and also do wiring. However, then the sports seats' additional support would be gone. The better way, in my opinion, would be to reupholster the sports seats with a better grade of leather and install seat heaters in the process.

If I were to step up to a used SS in 2-3 years, I would want to do one or the other.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 AM

I really wanted the heated leather seats like I had in my GP. I reluctantly gave in and bought the SS with the sport seats. I have not been disappointed at all. I don't miss the burning hot leather in the summer, although I do somewhat miss roasting my buns in the winter. Even though the seats are black, they don't seem to be very temperature sensitive, and I love the feel of the two materials that the seat is composed of.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM

Heated seats are nice, but every man should have the cooled seats that the folk's new DTS has. I was happy, and the boys were in heaven last summer in 90* weather. I didn't want to get out of the car. I may try to adapt the rear underseat ducts to that purpose since my panel has no rear seats.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM

cooled seats

I would love to have cooled seats. Purchase of my HHR originated from online (autotrader.com) searches screening for heated seats, manual transmission, under $10,000. I had only bought Japanese name-plate cars since 1988, haven't considered Korean yet (I'm buying used and their quality improvements are recent), and wasn't thinking of a US nameplate (I can't use the label US-built as HHR is from GM Mexico). With my HHR, I'm glad I decided to try US brands again. I don't see a practial way to retrofit cooled seats to a 2LT, but if someone has done this successfully, please enlighten me!

I'm in Louisiana and Texas most of the time, and even here the heated seats have proven to be fun during certain times of the year. Cooled seats would be even better. My current online used car screen is for cooled seats and manual transmission in late-model cars. What's been falling out has been highly optioned versions of the Lexus IS 250 (2006+, as low as $15k with high miles) and the Cadillac CTS (2008+ and currently in the high 20s used). I haven't driven either yet, and CTS has poor reliability as per consumer reports (but so does my HHR). These have all been sedans, no hatchback/wagon/crossover SUV (same thing, 3 labels) and no 2-seat roadsters. Not even a coupe is falling out now, which is fine since I believe a car should have the same number of pairs of doors as it has rows of seats.

The last car I purchased exclusively for my own use was a relatively spartan Honda S2000 mid-life crisis roadster. As I head further toward my golden years, the idea that my next purchase will be equipped with a full set of luxury options, notably cooled seats, is becoming more appealing.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM

I thought the HHR was recommended by Consumer Retorts?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Had leather seats in a Ford "Exploder" and a Saturn bought for the daughter.Hated both of those because of the leather.No thanks on a leather option for me! I like the SS seats and wouldn't change. I don't have any hot/cold weather issues with these. As a side note my SS seats are more comfortable since I turned the headrests around 180 degrees).
Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Consumer Reports

The CURRENT HHR is recommended in the 2010 buying guide and auto issue. In the 2010 buying guide, 2006 HHR is on the list to be avoided. In the more recent April 2010 buying guide issue, the list of worst cars year-by-year includes HHR 06-07, 09. However, HHR is not on the list of "worst of the worst" models for multiple years of much-worsh-than-average reliability.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM

I am slowly working on heated seats for my SS. I got the 2LT heater controls with the heated seat switches and confirmed it worked. Now I need to get the control modules that go under the seats and the elements. The control modules appear to be the same as the Equinox and Torrent (I need to confirm for sure.). After that I need to make the wiring unless I find a 2LT I can get them from.

The elements are available for replacement without the seat cushions.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 AM

Terry, my wife loves the seat heaters in her car. Keep us posted on your progress with heated SS seats...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

I miss my heated steering wheel, is there an APP. for that??

Quick Reply: Leather Heated Seats in the SS