HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Looking to be an hhr ss owner-have questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Looking to be an hhr ss owner-have questions

I have stumbled upon the hhr ss while looking for turbocharged 4 cylinder vehicles. I think I have decided on getting and hhr ss but have some questions.

1. Of the 3 model years they were offered I find many 2008 for sale, a few 2009, and hardly any 2010. In my past car buying the first year of a model has usually been one to stay away from because of constant new model problems. Does the 2008 hhr ss suffer from these issues in general?

2. As far a standard options that all hhr ss have, it looks like the engine, wheels, and rear lip spolier are all the same, what about seating materials, remote start, and moonroofs? And any other options you can tell me that would be the same on all models so I know I wont need to check if one has it or not.

3. I think I read somewhere it needs to run on premium fuel is that correct? Obviously for best performance premium is ideal but are any of you running 87 octane for regular daily driving? Can it be done without engine damage?

That's a good start, hope you guys can help me out.

Geoff
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by fiveothis
I have stumbled upon the hhr ss while looking for turbocharged 4 cylinder vehicles. I think I have decided on getting and hhr ss but have some questions.

1. Of the 3 model years they were offered I find many 2008 for sale, a few 2009, and hardly any 2010. In my past car buying the first year of a model has usually been one to stay away from because of constant new model problems. Does the 2008 hhr ss suffer from these issues in general?

2. As far a standard options that all hhr ss have, it looks like the engine, wheels, and rear lip spolier are all the same, what about seating materials, remote start, and moonroofs? And any other options you can tell me that would be the same on all models so I know I wont need to check if one has it or not.

3. I think I read somewhere it needs to run on premium fuel is that correct? Obviously for best performance premium is ideal but are any of you running 87 octane for regular daily driving? Can it be done without engine damage?

Geoff
Hello man, well this is what I know.

1) From the model years 08 09 and 10 I don' think any specific year has more problems than the other. I think its just the luck of the draw but I assume that if you could find a 2010 than that would be better.

2) As far as options and materials all model years are the same as far as materials. Options are more diverse. There are many options from 3 different interior colors, sports seats (some models have both sports seats others only one on the driver side), Pioneer sound systems with 6 cd changer..Majority of SS's have moon roofs, and a lot are automatics. 09 had the option of getting the digital boost gauge while the 2010 came standard. brembo kit with the manual trans. Lots of combinations.

3)As for gas you don't need to run the high octane stuff. its recommended but not required UNLESS you get a Tune either after market or the GM Tune then you WILL need to use 91 or higher all the time or it will mess up your engine.

good luck hope this helps
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by fiveothis

Geoff
I just went through the same thing. My guess is that there are simply more 08s on the road. I'm far from the expert, so someone correct me if get any of this wrong.

All 08-10 models have the same appearance. Same bumper covers, grilles, rocker panels, spoilers, wheels, etc.

All SSs have the same 2.0 Turbo engine. It's rated at 260hp with a stick and 235hp with the auto. I think the only difference is the tune.

On 08s, there's an optional Limited Slip Differential, but it was only available with the 5-Speed manual transmission.

On 09-10s, the Limited Slip Differential was part of a Performance Package which also included Brembo brakes. Again, only available with the 5-Speed manual transmission.

All 10s with the 5-Speed manual transmission had the performance package.

The RPO code for limited slip differential is: G85. Check the Service Parts Information Label and if it has G85 on it, the car has the Limited Slip Differential. On my 08, the Service Information Label is in the glove box.

Sun Roofs are common on the 08-09 SSs, but not standard. They were standard on 10s.

Pioneer Stereos are common on SSs, but not standard. The Pioneer Stereo includes a sub-woofer in the left rear trim panel. 09-10s have a USB port on the face of the radio for playing MP3s.

Remote start is standard with the automatic transmission, but is not available with the 5-Speed manual.

All SSs have a leather/suede interior. I think the suede was black in all models, but the leather trim was available in three colors, black, white and red.

Front suspension noises seem to be common on these cars, but I don't think it has anything to do with the year model. They seem to mostly come from either the sway bar or steering column. Some people say it's a poor design. I haven't checked out the steering column yet, but the sway bar problems seem to be more a matter of GM using cheap parts than a poor design. Once the sway bar links are replaced with Moog links and the bushings are replaced with polygraphite ones, most people report the sway bar noises are gone.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Rocky1974; 02-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Just to clarify some 2010 SS info.

All had the sunroof. It was standard, not an option.
Ebony was the only interior color.
Both front seats were the perf. ones.
The RPD(Reprogrammable Performance Display) was standard, not an option.
There was no pillar boost gauge available.
Roof racks were not available.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Id look for a Panel or aa5, they rare a touch rare. 216 panels and 200 aa5's.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Thanks for all the info so far. Helps a bunch.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Id look for a Panel or aa5, they rare a touch rare. 216 panels and 200 aa5's.
I think I know what you mean by a panel but what is an aa5?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Deceased

AA5 is the internal GM option code for what we call a "Partial Panel" or "1/3 Panel".

It's a panel built with only the rearmost section blanked off for cargo/commercial use, but it has a rear seat and window equipped rear side doors like the wagon versions.

Here's a non-SS AA5 as an example.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 PM

Am I understanding this right that you could only get the performance pack option if you have a 5 speed manual trans? Or does it depend on the year?

And what all does the performance pack option include?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Banned

1/2 panel, if I remember right....

Quick Reply: Looking to be an hhr ss owner-have questions