HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Looking for some technical measurements of a few MT shifter components

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
XXL

Looking for some technical measurements of a few MT shifter components

If you've got an SS with 5 speed (or a Cobalt SS), and you've got access to the shifter assembly, I'd appreciate if you could do some basic measurements. I'll be able to get some measurements myself in a couple of weeks, but I'd like to get some CAD work started before then.

If you're wondering... I'm looking to build a replacement assembly for the stock nylon/plastic piece that connects the shifter arm's lower shifter arm pivot ball to the nylon threads on the shifter cable. I believe this is a significant weak point, especially the way the adjuster grips the threaded nylon part (using a "fingernail" method in one of the thread grooves). My design would grip the entire length of the nylon threads, thus strengthening the joint by orders of magnitude.

Measurements I'm looking for...

How long is it from the ball socket (the nylon piece that goes on the shifter arm ball) to the jacketing begins on the shifter cable?

Almost the same measurement... how long from the ball socket to the CLOSEST thread on the nylon piece on the end of the shifter cable?

Now... how long is the nylon threaded piece on the shifter cable?

And then, if your cable happens to be disconnected from the adjuster, or is easy to pop loose, is the nylon piece actually threaded (a single spiraling groove like a bolt), or is it a series of parallel grooves? In other words, could you spin a nut down the length of it or not? If yes, what are the thread specs-- SAE, metric, size, pitch???

Thanks in advance for anyone who can get me this info. This will give me a head start on designing a possible solution to this weak link in our shift mechanisms.

Here are some pics from the TWM short throw shifter instructions that may clarify the parts I'm talking about.

-------------------------

Nylon threaded part at the end of the shifter cable

Nylon ball socket attached to the shifter arm ball end

Nylon ball socket removed from the shifter arm ball end

Nylon "weak link" as your inserting or removing shifter arm assembly. This is the piece I would like to design to be more robust

Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM
XXL

Bueller?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Sorry XXL, it's been raining for days, and I'm just getting in from a call out. Maybe once the rain stops I'll get out the micrometer.