HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Magnaflow catback and down pipe prototype..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
XXL

Curve looks good, but a lot less than what I would have expected given the "obvious" turbidity points in the stock system-- at the base of the downpipe, at every turn of the rest of the system, the $10 stock muffler, etc.

I think this is another clear indicator that the stock turbo is just all played out. We need more CFM throughput at the turbo before we're going to see any major performance changes to this motor.

BTW, thanks for being the mule on this one.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by XXL

Curve looks good, but a lot less than what I would have expected given the "obvious" turbidity points in the stock system-- at the base of the downpipe, at every turn of the rest of the system, the $10 stock muffler, etc.

I think this is another clear indicator that the stock turbo is just all played out. We need more CFM throughput at the turbo before we're going to see any major performance changes to this motor.

BTW, thanks for being the mule on this one.
I am no turbo expert but I think there is a bit more room in the stock huffer. I think 300whp is very realistic as well as alot more down below 4500 rpms. I think the limitations are in the pcm an dcurrent tuning options.

Only time will tell until some more companies jump on board.Based on what I saw on the dyno and how the car continued to make power as it got hoy I think the IC is doing a good job. Car just needs to hold boost
Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
I am no turbo expert but I think there is a bit more room in the stock huffer. I think 300whp is very realistic as well as alot more down below 4500 rpms. I think the limitations are in the pcm an dcurrent tuning options.

Only time will tell until some more companies jump on board.Based on what I saw on the dyno and how the car continued to make power as it got hoy I think the IC is doing a good job. Car just needs to hold boost
I agree that the ECM is in the way, but if you look at CFM rate on the turbo itself, it's definitely running out of steam. Also, with the 30%+ increased flow you'd expect from the Magnaflow tubes over stock, that should translate into better output than your curve shows... ASSuming the turbo isn't all in already... which is my assertion. I would have expected something more along the line of what I've penciled in here--

Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM

Hey Cole... your SS is an auto tranny, correct?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
I agree that the ECM is in the way, but if you look at CFM rate on the turbo itself, it's definitely running out of steam. Also, with the 30%+ increased flow you'd expect from the Magnaflow tubes over stock, that should translate into better output than your curve shows... ASSuming the turbo isn't all in already... which is my assertion. I would have expected something more along the line of what I've penciled in here--

That would be a 40+ whp increase from exhaust alone. I have never in all my days of playing with exhaust seen anything remotely close to that kind of gain.

If you look where the cursor is you will see a 20+ whp increase. Pretty dang good.:)

I still think it's the computer keeping things realitively close to stock. These new PCM's are not as adaptive as we have become with past GM products.

Time will tell... I thought it was intresting that my PCM showed up as a Solstice GXP when we hooked it to HP tuners.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by a76marine
Hey Cole... your SS is an auto tranny, correct?
manual:)

These are wheel hp numbers. Realisticly the car is making close to 300+ fwhp
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM

with a ppc,the computer won't fight this mod,would it??? 20whp is typical for a free flowing turbo exhaust. that's where i hoped and expected it to be.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
I still think it's the computer keeping things realitively close to stock. These new PCM's are not as adaptive as we have become with past GM products.
i agree, i think it is probably the infamous "nanny code" dialing it back. of course, there really isn't a way to find the true capability of the exhaust on a totally stock engine, as the only way to get rid of the nanny code (correct me if i'm wrong here, cuz i'd sure like to know lol) is with the Hahn tuner. install the tuner to get rid of the nanny code, and the tune is no longer stock. you could see full potential of it on a Hahn-tuned engine though, see what it really puts out then.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
i agree, i think it is probably the infamous "nanny code" dialing it back. of course, there really isn't a way to find the true capability of the exhaust on a totally stock engine, as the only way to get rid of the nanny code (correct me if i'm wrong here, cuz i'd sure like to know lol) is with the Hahn tuner. install the tuner to get rid of the nanny code, and the tune is no longer stock. you could see full potential of it on a Hahn-tuned engine though, see what it really puts out then.
true....

If everyone wants to contribute $$ for a hahn tuner I would be willing to sacrafice.... I will dyno stock, Tuned and than tuned with exhaust/DP.

I would be willing to add $400.00 towards the fund so I need $600 to make it work...lol
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM

ha!!! i got one better cole...how about for what you're asking or cheaper,get me that exhaust and i'll dyno it with my ppc. got the call today from hahn and they told me i should have it by thurs.

i just hope the dealer fixes my car and it's done right . then i have to wait a few days or to be safe a week to make sure the code doesn't come back.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow catback and down pipe prototype..