HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

New owners Passenger seat question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM

New owners Passenger seat question.

Of all the new HHR SS owners with cars in the driveway, what passenger seat do you have, rounded front bottom cushion, different than driver seat, or a square front bottom cushion that more closely matches the driver seat. We have seen pictures of both in stick cars, I've driven and only seen in person autos with the round one. What trans do you have with what seat?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 AM

I have never seen a difference in the passenger seats except for upholstery fabrics. The drivers seat has a performance option that increases the size of the seat cushion going further support under the thighs.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Offy
I have never seen a difference in the passenger seats except for upholstery fabrics. The drivers seat has a performance option that increases the size of the seat cushion going further support under the thighs.
I mean this difference shown in the post 22 of this thread between the two seat styles:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=13295&page=3
A major difference in the seat bottom, not just length, but style.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM

That post you refer to shows two performance seats, which is not actually an option. Not sure if this pic is a GM test car or what. As far as I know, you can order the $95 performance seat option with either the 5 spd or auto, and that only gives you the driver seat, not the passenger. Also, I believe you could not order the performance seat with the ebony/grey color option.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by PDW23
That post you refer to shows two performance seats, which is not actually an option. Not sure if this pic is a GM test car or what. As far as I know, you can order the $95 performance seat option with either the 5 spd or auto, and that only gives you the driver seat, not the passenger. Also, I believe you could not order the performance seat with the ebony/grey color option.
Well, I have seen other pictures from a different angle, and you can see that the fold down part of the seat is included on that passenger seat, so its not just a drivers side performance seat in the passenger side. I have also seen this seat combination in a picture of an orange manual trans HHR SS. I have not seen it in an automatic car with armrests however, so that is why I asked the question, as I have seen no manual HHR SS's at all.
What I would seriously wonder though, is why GM, even if the drivers side bottom cushion is longer, just why they wouldn't have a simular squared off front, and a straight line pleat in the middle, instead of a curved pleat on the bottom on the passenger side?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by PDW23
Also, I believe you could not order the performance seat with the ebony/grey color option.
Oh?

Originally Posted by nerraD
Ok, here's

- Ebony/Gray
- Performance Driver's seat
- 5-spd
- (Imperial Blue)

Note that this is a Canadian vehicle, so ebony/gray + performance driver's seat is at least a possibility in Canada... not sure why GM US site references that ebony/gray + performance driver's seat is not possible... maybe it's just a website mistake.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 02-20-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Reduced quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 AM

The first HHR SS that I saw was a black 5 speed with the red/black interior and it had the performance seat option...drivers side only.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 PM

I can see whey they wouldn't offer the performance seat with ebony/grey, and thats because is is so glaring different between the two seats. The black, or red black is not quite as noticable. I wonder why they choose two different styles, as the pictures do show they did have a matching style for the passenger, that seat in the pics is not just a drivers seat on the other side.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM

I'm kind of surprised that the ebony/gray has the light gray suede inserts... I wish it was more like the ebony/red, where just the outside edges of the seats get the colored treatment... and the center area stays ebony.

As for not offering the performance seat cushion on the passenger side...
Because it is not symmetric left-to right, they would need a separate/unique part to offer it on the passenger side... this would be an additional part/seat assembly for the assembly line... taking up extra space in the plant, more complexity etc. In the end it was probably just a compromise of sorts. Too bad though... I prefer the look of the performance seat cushion and would really like to see it offered on both sides.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Guess I found part of the answer on my own order sheet:
I am looking at my actual order sheet on my ordered HHRSS from Jan 21:

AE4 SEAT, DRIVER, PREMIUM CLOTH WITH ULTRALUX INSERTS, GM PERFORMANCE Division, high bolster extended length seat cushion, high bolster seatback, SS embroidery and color keyed accents (Front passenger seat and rear seat are the same as the AR9 Premium Cloth with Ultralux Insert front buckets. Driver seat cushion and passenger seat cushion will have a complementary appearance but are not identical in color scheme, size, or shape. NOT available with (13C) Ebony/Grey Premium cloth with Ultralux inserts interior color.
$95 MSRP/ $80.75 GMS

The thing is though, the 2008 HHR Brochure has in its limited pics of the SS, an interior picture of the Performance sport seat interior with a VERY closely matched passenger seat, and thats what I thought I was going to get. Oh well, thats the problem with ordering, or chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Quick Reply: New owners Passenger seat question.