HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

New SS Owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Banned

Welcome welcome! Really want an SS myself, but I think I am going to have to wait to see what SS Hatch that GM comes out with next as most of the SS HHRs I would want are drying up. Oh well. Congratulations on your Score! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve on Mods!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM

The only clunks I've had in the front, which sound exactly like what you are describing are either :

Sway bar end links like you said (mine were shot @ 35k km) or the intermediate steering shaft.

Torque steer, mine had bad torque steer when I got it (never had FWD before), and it was the 235hp auto, solid TTR motor mount (really not solid but poly) pretty much eliminated ALL torque steer.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 PM

Nice score on the SS. That was a very good price. The problem with the front end is more than likely a sway bar link, I have replaced many. It's a rather inexpensive fix. The torque steer is just what happens when you put that kind of HP in a FWD car. There really isn't anything you can do with that other to hang on and grin. The LSD makes no difference in the torque steer, but helps keep from only one tire spinning once you break traction.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Welcome welcome! Really want an SS myself, but I think I am going to have to wait to see what SS Hatch that GM comes out with next as most of the SS HHRs I would want are drying up. Oh well. Congratulations on your Score! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve on Mods!
I haven't heard of any new SS hatches in the pipeline. The Cruze has been out long enough that they are already working on a new version and still no performance model. I can't understand why there was never a new version of the HHR. They sold well and everybody seems to love them. I think I did read that there's not going to be anymore SS versions of any Chevy models, now that they have a model called Super Sport.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Nice score on the SS. That was a very good price. The problem with the front end is more than likely a sway bar link, I have replaced many. It's a rather inexpensive fix. The torque steer is just what happens when you put that kind of HP in a FWD car. There really isn't anything you can do with that other to hang on and grin. The LSD makes no difference in the torque steer, but helps keep from only one tire spinning once you break traction.
I did get a chance to jack it up and have a look underneath this weekend. I was really impressed how clean it was under there. The bottom of the engine/transmission is bone dry and clean. The bottoms of the floorboards are clean and look new. It certainly doesn't look like an Ohio car! That 100k must have been all highway miles, in the summer. I removed the LH front wheel and the sway bar link does seem to have some slop in it. The sway bar bushing look fine. I ordered the Moog sway bar links and the Energy Suspension polygraphite sway bar bushings. I figure I'll try the cheap stuff first. I did get a chance to drive it in the snow and I was really impressed. It didn't spin a wheel! I guess the FWD, LSD, and all-season tire combo is the hot ticket for snow driving. I guess I'll get used to the torque steer. It drives fine until you go full throttle in the lower gears, then it's "hang on"!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky1974
I did get a chance to jack it up and have a look underneath this weekend. I was really impressed how clean it was under there. The bottom of the engine/transmission is bone dry and clean. The bottoms of the floorboards are clean and look new. It certainly doesn't look like an Ohio car! That 100k must have been all highway miles, in the summer. I removed the LH front wheel and the sway bar link does seem to have some slop in it. The sway bar bushing look fine. I ordered the Moog sway bar links and the Energy Suspension polygraphite sway bar bushings. I figure I'll try the cheap stuff first. I did get a chance to drive it in the snow and I was really impressed. It didn't spin a wheel! I guess the FWD, LSD, and all-season tire combo is the hot ticket for snow driving. I guess I'll get used to the torque steer. It drives fine until you go full throttle in the lower gears, then it's "hang on"!
I've got winter tires on mine and it REALLY impresses me in the snow and ice!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM

Ok, after reading a bunch of posts on here and jacking the car up and checking the front suspension, I ordered Moog K750012 sway bar links and Energy 9.5159G sway bar bushings from Summit. The sway bar links showed up late last week. The sway bushings are being shipped directly from Energy Suspension. Tonight I jacked up the car and replaced the LH sway bar link because that's where the racket sounded like it was coming from. After the installation, I test drove the car and 99% of my noise is gone! I still have a small rattle on some bumps, but I figure the other sway bar link or the bushings will take care of that. I'm starting to like this car better ever day!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM

I thought the moog links were k750428 for the SS and the item number you listed were the ones for the lt version?! can somebody clarify this since I am getting ready to order these myself! I am going by Rock Auto catalog part numbers
Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by paperboy72
I thought the moog links were k750428 for the SS and the item number you listed were the ones for the lt version?! can somebody clarify this since I am getting ready to order these myself! I am going by Rock Auto catalog part numbers
I think you are technically correct. The Moog online catalog lists 3 PNs for a 2008 HHR.

K750428-(RPO Code FE5)

K80252-Problem Solver- incl. powered metal gusher bearing to allow grease to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces, 11.80" length center to center, (RPO Code FE1 or FE3)

K750012-Problem Solver- incl. powered metal gusher bearing to allow grease to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces, 9.86" length center to center, (RPO Code FE1 or FE3)

I checked the Service Information Label and my SS has FE5, so K750428 should be correct. I wasn't aware of K750428 when I ordered mine or I probably would have ordered it. I did see several posts that said K80252 was too long and not to use it. If you look at the photos of all three of these parts in the online catalog, they look pretty much the same with a couple of exceptions. K80252 is visibly longer and K750428 includes a washer/spacer. When I installed mine there was already a washer/spacer on the upper mount, so I reused it. If this is really the only difference, then it really doesn't matter which one you use. I do know that K750012 fits perfectly, is the same length as the original, and is cheaper.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM

interesting on the end links! I was searching for them for my SS when i saw your post, did the 750012 have the zerk fittings for greasing? I am not saying you have the wrong part, I am just going by what I am seeing on Rock Auto website. maybe one of the part numbers does NOT have the zerk fittings, I dont know for sure, if anyone can clarify that would be great!
BTW welcome to the site and nice score!!

Quick Reply: New SS Owner with some questions