HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Noisy TURBO (Scraping sound)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM

Noisy TURBO (Scraping sound)

Starting yesterday I noticed a scraping/rattling sound under acceleration and it sounds to me like it may be coming from the turbocharger. At times the boost seems erratic as well. I seem to recall someone else posting that they had to have their turbo replaced since it was scraping internally but couldn't find that post.

Has anyone else had an issue with the factory turbo charger where it had to be replaced? If so how long did it take the dealer to fix the problem?

Robert
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Take it in to the dealer! Can't diagnose over the Internet with your description, but does sound like a turbo going
Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM

It is going in to the dealer this evening on the way home. I hope it just something simple and they won't need to replace the turbo. I thought someone on the forum had a problem with theirs and had the dealer replace it.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM

That would be my guess.... Better to have a new one rather than one with bad bearings or bad blade(s). That's what warranties are for.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM

I think I am having the same problem. Mine make a scraping/rattling sound under moderate acceleration at low RPM's. I've also been seeing max boost at only 6-8 lbs when the engine temp is below 160. Once the engine is heated and i've been driving for a little while I get up to 12 lbs but i still hear the scraping. Going to make an appt with the dealer this week sometime.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Yep, that is the exact sound! Does it seem to get louder for a little bit if you ease off the gas? The only good thing about the sound is that it is reproducible on mine. Maybe they had a bad batch. It would certainly explain why it didn't seem as peppy as it should.

The dealer has it now and hopefully they will have some news soon.

Makes me glad I got the extended warranty.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Yep turbo impeller issue, possibly the bearings as the fellas mentioned. Do you let it warm up and also, do you let the turbo spool down before you shut the car off?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Yep turbo impeller issue, possibly the bearings as the fellas mentioned. Do you let it warm up and also, do you let the turbo spool down before you shut the car off?
I always drive conservatively...especially when the car is cold. I usually don't have time to let the car idle before I turn it off but like I said I dont drive it hard beforehand so I don't feel the need to.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dedecv3
I always drive conservatively...especially when the car is cold. I usually don't have time to let the car idle before I turn it off but like I said I dont drive it hard beforehand so I don't feel the need to.

According to GM you no longer need to.

The improvements in Oil, Cooling and bearings have made warm up and cool down a thing of the past.

It is hard to believe back on the old Buick Turbo's they even would tink about not water cooling the housing and bearing like they do now. But that is why most of them lost bearings at 30,000 miles and carboned up oil lines.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 AM

How many miles are on the SS's that are having this issue?

Quick Reply: Noisy TURBO (Scraping sound)