HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Noisy TURBO (Scraping sound)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Are you like scratching your ear in that picture or something?
No , I think he is adjusting his hat
Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by robotworkshop
Well, the dealer just called and said the scraping sound was 'normal'. It sure doesn't sound normal to me and had just started so I still think something isn't quite right. I guess it will just have to wait until it gets worse.....
I sure don't think it's normal and I've heard a lot of funny noises on my LNF.
Good news is it's under warranty... For a long time.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:32 PM

I'm used to hearing several odd noises that the LNF turbo engine makes and I'm fine with them as most of them are from known sources (injectors, fuel pump, throttle, etc). The issue I have with this particular sound is that after about 5800 miles of driving and getting familiar with the vehicle this is a NEW sound that I had not heard before and it didn't sound good to me. It seemed to match what I thought I had read in a previous post about a bum turbo (scraping rotor) so I was concerned.

Getting to know how your vehicle sounds when operating normally can certainly help tell if something isn't right by new odd sounds that come up as you drive the vehicle that weren't there before.

For now it drives fine and I'll just keep an eye and an ear on it.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 PM

My SS makes a scraping noise after I get off the throttle sometimes. I think I could something to do with the BOV or wastegate issue.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Finally took mine in yesterday for the sound. Turns out a screw that holds the turbo bracket was missing and the others were all loose. They put a new screw in and tightened the others and she sounds like pure sex again.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by CHOLMES
My SS makes a scraping noise after I get off the throttle sometimes. I think I could something to do with the BOV or wastegate issue.
I think I hear a noise like that in my SS I just got... and when listening to it closely, I think it's more of a whooshing noise than actual scraping. I definitely believe it's probably a wastegate noise or something like that and I'm not concerned about it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
I think I hear a noise like that in my SS I just got... and when listening to it closely, I think it's more of a whooshing noise than actual scraping. I definitely believe it's probably a wastegate noise or something like that and I'm not concerned about it.
The whooshing noise is the BOV bleeding off excess boost. My noise is more of a metal on metal noise. I saw someone said that their turbo bracket was loose, so that will be my next check as soon as it quits freaking raining!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 PM

hi i have a saab 9-3 with a 2.0 turbo, which is a very similar design to the LNF that all of HHR SS's have, actually designed partly by saab. but thats a different topic, i have the exact same problem with a scraping noise but no one knows whats going on. has anyone else figured what the problem is that is causing this scraping noise?

thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 PM

When I took it into the dealer to get one of the sensors replaced the service manager took it for a ride an said it was normal. It still makes the noise and it seems odd to me. If I come across anyone else in the area with an SS I would love to compare them to see if it sounds the same too. Either that or the next service may be done by the dealer closer to work and I'll ask them about the noise too.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by robotworkshop
When I took it into the dealer to get one of the sensors replaced the service manager took it for a ride an said it was normal. It still makes the noise and it seems odd to me. If I come across anyone else in the area with an SS I would love to compare them to see if it sounds the same too. Either that or the next service may be done by the dealer closer to work and I'll ask them about the noise too.
I swear those manager's think everything sounds normal! I guess we will have to wait on the recall before they know anything.

Quick Reply: Noisy TURBO (Scraping sound)