HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Noisy TURBO (Scraping sound)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by robotworkshop
When I took it into the dealer to get one of the sensors replaced the service manager took it for a ride an said it was normal. It still makes the noise and it seems odd to me. If I come across anyone else in the area with an SS I would love to compare them to see if it sounds the same too. Either that or the next service may be done by the dealer closer to work and I'll ask them about the noise too.
i have been going for the past year, one said it was not normal, but said they couldnt do anything about it. i went 2 months ago and got a steering boot replaced as that may be causing the noise, but that didnt fix anything. i think its something loose. im going tomorrow and will tell you guys if they see any loose turbo brackets, even though we dont have the same cars.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Blown Turbo

About a week ago, I noticed when I started my engine in the morning that it made a sound like an electric motor spinning up to speed (sort of like car radios did before the use of resistor spark plugs). Yesterday... after driving around town and stopping to get oil & filter, got back in and started it up and I noticed a 'scrapping' sound associated with it. Pulling out onto the street I gave it a little throttle and the sound got louder and then just 'leveled-off'. My boost gauge would not even rise to '0' and needless to say all this was accompanied by a nice puff of blue smoke out my back window as I let off to shift...

I limped on home and took it to the dealer. They confirmed the turbo was toast and then 'confirmed' that my warranty had expired in April with 94,600mi, which is correct as the car was a 'GM Exec' car put into service in April 2009. I bought it in October 2010 with 4300mi. Anyway, the dealer informed me that it is going to be around $2100 to replace the turbo...

History: A little over a year ago, at 53,500mi, the motor developed the 'crack in the block' between #3 & #2 cylinders. It enjoyed a ****tail of Dex-Cool and Mobil 1 until I found out about this issue on this forum and told the serve tech about it. GM replaced the entire motor, but the mechanic did not see a need to replace the turbo. I questioned this due to the turbo was being fed the same antifreeze/oil ****tail the motor was enjoying and it would be just a matter of time before it toasted itself. Unfortunately, it took longer than I imagined and my warranty with it....

The dealer was going to ask the area representative for assistance, but was not going to guarantee any favorable replies. If the turbo had just been replaced with the rest of the motor; being as they are connected by water, oil, air, and exhaust my baby would not be sitting alone at the dealership this forth-of-July weekend.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Sensorship??

You really can't type **** for the word '****tail'? Should I've used the term 'rooster-tail' or 'alcoholic-drink tail'?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

LOL - yeah it gets fussy don't it? "clocktail" would have worked.