HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Number and colors manufactured

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The percentage of SS in 08-09 with 5 speeds are about 1/4 of the production in 08 and 09. The average 5 speeds for all other HHRs is about 4. I would expect the same for 10. These numbers are about average for most cars still with the option of either.

You often see them on dealer lots as they are the last ones to sell pretty often. It is a tough market to sell a manual anymore. Between people not knowing how to drive one and the need to be on a cell phone have over ridden the shifting on your own. Also traffic in many cities often make them difficult for many to just enjoy.

Heck many Ferraris anymore are semi manual.
It's also because the differential in MPG is minimal now. And many of the performance/luxury cars have automatic transmissions that can be shifted manually via paddles or shifter knobs.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 PM

in 2008 they made 4,519
in 2009 they made 2,500 +/-
numbers for 2010 have yet to be found, I'd be suprised if it is above 1,500 cars.

Most of the SS's are Auto since a turbo "historically" tends to work better with an automatic

if your looking for a "rare" SS look for a 5sp panel w/lsd 2008= 219
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM

[if your looking for a "rare" SS look for a 5sp panel w/lsd 2008= 219[/QUOTE]

2009=216 but whos counting
Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 AM

The truth is manual trannys are on the way out because Emissions have been a issue and Car companies can avoid it with the Auto. MPG was never an major issue if anything it was to their advantage to sell more of them.

Along the way people just have lost interest. Only Cars like the Camaro and Corvette sell very many and even with them the numbers are low.

The industry a couple years ago was down to 7% of the market as a whole was standard shift and it has slipped each year since.

Today most people are not in love with their cars and in many cases they are lazy or just don't want to be bothered with the shifting in todays traffic in most cities.

Also many are on the cell phone, putting on makeup or some other activity that shifting would prevent. Just look around many are not just driving.

This also has resulted in many people who have never had to shift. Theft rates are down on manual trannys as the people stealing them often can't drive them.

I am not going to say they will ever be gone because of some sport models but they will be even more limited in the future. They will go the way of the white lettered tire.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 AM

FWIW, I buy manuals for cars I plan on doing track time with. My HHR SS is a "Road Trip" car (and daily driver when the weather is good) so it has the auto trans.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM

I am not going to say they will ever be gone because of some sport models but they will be even more limited in the future. They will go the way of the white lettered tire.
I think white lettered tires are still popular on SUVs and PUs.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
I think white lettered tires are still popular on SUVs and PUs.
That is about it. The speed rating most cars need now prevent white walls and letters.

The white rubber is not a strong rubber and leads to heat and failure of a tire at higher speeds.

Most car companies want to elimiate them for liability. If it were to tire engineers they would all be gone.

Trucks and SUV's can deal with them as most do not see speeds that high or have speed limiters on them. But on the ones that do they come with Black wall tires with higher speed ratings.

A couple companies have tried the decal like Goodyear uses on their race tires but it is not wide spred.

Many people thing black walls were just a Euro styling thing but they are not. With many 4 and 6 cylinder cars now able to top 130 MPH few will take the liability Risk anymore.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

The truth is manual trannys are on the way out because Emissions have been a issue and Car companies can avoid it with the Auto. MPG was never an major issue if anything it was to their advantage to sell more of them.

Along the way people just have lost interest. Only Cars like the Camaro and Corvette sell very many and even with them the numbers are low.

The industry a couple years ago was down to 7% of the market as a whole was standard shift and it has slipped each year since.

Today most people are not in love with their cars and in many cases they are lazy or just don't want to be bothered with the shifting in todays traffic in most cities.

Also many are on the cell phone, putting on makeup or some other activity that shifting would prevent. Just look around many are not just driving.

This also has resulted in many people who have never had to shift. Theft rates are down on manual trannys as the people stealing them often can't drive them.

So True, unfortunately.

Shifting is a gift that was once passed from generation to generation. I have fond memories of sitting on my Dad's lap and working the column shift on PapPap's Chevy.

Sadly, the ability, will and patience to pass this skill along is rapidly becoming lost.

Some of the best time I spent with my teens was teaching them to drive and ,later, to whip the stick. I believe this made them more engaged and attentive drivers. They also had a skill set with which they could amaze their friends.

I've taught stick to some clients here and had them pulling 3 gears in the lot in 15 minutes. Those who have tried it find a new level of enjoyment in driving.

Most, sadly, have not been able to experience this or have had a bad learning experience.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 AM

A little off topic but, I wonder if you take 2 GM tuned SS's one 5sp, one Auto. I wonder which one is quicker. I'm out on a limb, but I think the auto would have a slight edge.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

Foolmoon.. if the manual driver was not the best, yes.. but it really all depends on the drivers you put behind the wheels.

Quick Reply: Number and colors manufactured