HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Performance Package in SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Performance Package in SS

I got my 2010 HHR SS used from a Ford dealership, so they did not know much about the car. How do I find out if the car has the optional performance package and what does this package include?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

First off it would have to be a 5 speed. (only way to get the perf.pkg on a 2010) If you have the Brembo front brakes,you will also have LSD=limited slip differential. Brembos and LSD are the perf. pkg.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

RBodeman: You also might want to check and see if your car has the GMTU kit(GMTU stands for GM Turbo Upgrade, some call it the Stage 1 kit.)
Easy way to tell is there should be a sticker inside fuel door that says:Premium Fuel Required. Also a GM Performance Parts certification sticker under the hood.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
First off it would have to be a 5 speed. (only way to get the perf.pkg on a 2010) If you have the Brembo front brakes,you will also have LSD=limited slip differential. Brembos and LSD are the perf. pkg.
Thanks....I do have the 5 speed manual and the Brembo brakes in the front. Therefore I assume I have the Performance Package.

What is the advantage to having the Limited Slip Dif?.....especially for a front wheel drive car.

I do not have the GM Turbo Upgrade on the car. All parts under the hood look stock (plastic intercooler pipes) and there is no "Performance" sticker in the engine bay that I can see. In addition as per the dash gauge Im getting in the range of 260 to 280 for torque on full throttle. Its my belief that the stage 1 gets in the range of 320.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 PM

As for the fuel............should'nt we be using premium anyways?

I use at least 92 octane on all fill ups.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBodeman
Thanks....I do have the 5 speed manual and the Brembo brakes in the front. Therefore I assume I have the Performance Package.

What is the advantage to having the Limited Slip Dif?.....especially for a front wheel drive car.

I do not have the GM Turbo Upgrade on the car. All parts under the hood look stock (plastic intercooler pipes) and there is no "Performance" sticker in the engine bay that I can see. In addition as per the dash gauge Im getting in the range of 260 to 280 for torque on full throttle. Its my belief that the stage 1 gets in the range of 320.
Yes you do have the perf. pkg. (an $895 sticker price option)
Limited slip advantage? Simply put:2 wheels getting traction instead of 1.
Premium gas: Most SS owners use it. Owners manual says "recommended".
With the GMTU kit it says "required".
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Now you said for a stage 1, there would be a GM performance parts certification sticker under the hood. This is not to be confused with the silver GM Performance Division plate thats on under the hood just above the radiator.........is it? The silver plate I am referring to, looks like the one on your air filter cover in your photos.

These are the issues you have when you buy a Chevy from a Ford dealership and dont have the previous owner there to ask questions to.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by RBodeman
Now you said for a stage 1, there would be a GM performance parts certification sticker under the hood. This is not to be confused with the silver GM Performance Division plate thats on under the hood just above the radiator.........is it?
No, it's different from the plaque on the radiator support. These are the two stickers you would see:

The white one under the hood somewhere, and the silver one on the inside of the gas filler door.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

The silver metal plate is on the stock SS from the factory. Some folks relocate them on their cars. Mine is now attached to the breather housing after I painted the housing red.(see pic above) The perf.sticker is just that,a sticker.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BigRedGoat
No, it's different from the plaque on the radiator support. These are the two stickers you would see:

The white one under the hood somewhere, and the silver one on the inside of the gas filler door.
Actually it's 3 stickers,counting the GM Performance Parts big sticker

Quick Reply: Performance Package in SS