HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.
View Poll Results: Why did you buy your SS?
Fuel Efficiency
12.04%
Performance
73.15%
Ability to do some serious MODs
1.85%
Just like the Retro look
12.96%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for SS owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM

3 out of 4 for me also. Mileage, look and performance plus the 5sp. Had a Ford 5sp 4 cyl turbo before and was very pleased with it in those same categories plus it now has about 240000 miles on it and motor or transmission never touched. Hoping that the HHR proves to be just as good.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM

2 of the 4: Performance and fuel efficiency. I would also add: Utility

I considered a GTO, Turbo Forester, and a few others...but none could match performance with the fuel efficiency and utility of the HHR. I don't love the looks (especially the tail) but that didn't matter as much.

Drove it today (it's my wife's DD) on I-76 in Philly and wow...what a blast (50-70 mph) !!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:25 PM

It was exactly one year ago today that I ordered my '09 HHR SS.

(Perf. Pkg., 5-spd., AA5, Premium Audio)

I didn't need it. I had a perfectly good, reliable Honda Element that I had hoped to drive 250,000 miles before I replaced it.

I'm 56 years old, and I haven't seen a new vehicle with such a pronounced "WOW Factor" (((( THAT I COULD AFFORD)))) in many years.

The HHR SS is such a vehicle.

I took delivery of my black beauty on April 30, 2009. It's everything I hoped it would be.

Fast

Handles as if on rails

Comfortable

Holds all my stuff

Excellent fuel economy (28-30 mpg on long runs)

...and that all-important WOW Factor is still there!!!!

Also, finding this forum before I bought my HHR was a considerable stroke of luck.

This is one of the friendliest, most helpful forums on the web.

Thanks to Each & All who have offered assistance, and....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM

I've had my SS since July and love it. Even love driving it here in the winter. I put a set of Michelin X-Ice 2's on it (stock size) and I get around with no problems. I bought mine primarily for the performance and it had more room inside than my 1991 Syclone (go figure!), plus it gets much better gas mileage even with the Stage I kit.

Still, at some point, I would like to find a clean 92 or 93 Typhoon for showing. They have much more legroom for the driver than the Syclone:)
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM

Same as most.... needed fuel economy without losing the FUN factor
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM

Bought mine in August, after seeing a HHR-SS go by on the highway, while in Mama's Lexus. First one I'd ever seen[did'nt even know chevy made one], so after comning back home, checked up on it, to find it very intresting, enought to go drive one. Ended up buying a 09 Black SS, loaded. Actually, the lady I live with[for 37 years], bought it for me.[yeah- I'm spoiled, or as they joke, "A kept man"]. Don't hear me complaining.
I like the different look, and the power, and it showed real potential for upgrades[as I always trick out my rides]. Prior driver[still have it-but gonna sale it before long, is a 1996 Impala SS[stroked 383, suspension, wheels, ect.] and the HHR- SS will spank it.
It gets the looks, and I'm personalizing it to my taste[Trifeca tune in a day or two ,on the way], then Pedders suspension, then probably wheels.
Being a ex-racer, and a Custom painter/Artist, I am around cars a lot, and this little driver, fits the bill, in a lot of ways. It's differnt, it's quick, and handles, and the gas milage is a plus.
I'm real happy with it so far. Whats not to like? "Moon"
Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 PM

I needed to pick up a new water heater at the depot yesterday, the employee had to load it in, i have stitches on my back.

I pulled up to the front of the store, then proceeded to fold the seats down.
He was like "WOW, I didn't think you had that much room in there, it sure didn't look like it will fit" He slid the water heater in, I closed the hatch and off I went
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 PM

Fast & stylish economical utility vehicle.

Last Summer I picked up a Delta jointer/tablesaw combo in Rochester, NH
It looked like these but the motor, saw and jointer were taken off the stand.
The table was also separated from the saw.
It came with a couple of boxes of extra parts & blades.

It all fit with no problem.

I also picked up a couple of Delta wood lathes with stands in Connecticut this fall.
Again, remove from the stand and no problemo.

One like this

and one like this (mine)
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by davkat
Still, at some point, I would like to find a clean 92 or 93 Typhoon for showing. They have much more legroom for the driver than the Syclone:)
Hey! I know you from over at Syty.net! I bought my Ty from Anchorage and shipped it to PA. Maybe you'll find a nice one a bit closer to AK! Good luck. And you're right, Ty's are much more comfortable than Sy's. Had one of those just before the Ty.

Back on topic...

Are there really 50+ SS owners registered on this site?? (based on poll numbers) That's great.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Well I carry a 6 foot Soap Box Derby car in the back. It fits but I do have to move the drivers sear up a little farther than I would like to clear the axle. I would love to have about 2" more.

Quick Reply: Poll for SS owners