HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Possibly buying an SS and have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Possibly buying an SS and have some questions.

I did read the FAQ's, btw, and also did a cursory reading of the first 5 or so pages of threads. I'm trying to decide between getting an SS or just a nice 2LT. I already have an '08 Trailblazer SS, but may sell it if I get the HHR SS (will fit better in the garage and get WAY better gas mileage). If I get the 2LT, I'll keep the TB SS.

Here are my questions:
If I do get an SS, I want it stock. Is there an easy way to tell if the car has been modded? (I'm totally new to HHR's so don't be afraid to over explain)

Do the turbos have any extra maintenance? Any reliability problems in stock form?

Does anyone recognize this SS? It's near Buffalo, NY and has ~32K miles.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ff=national#15

I thought the purple lugnuts might stand out here in someone's memory. :)
If you recognize it, I'd appreciate knowing any info (good or bad) on it.

thanks,
-Tim

Last edited by 5speed4; 08-08-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe to the thread
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Got a 2008 SS 5 speed with about the same miles as the one you are looking at. Great little car. I highly recommend it. We bought ours new for my wife and we have enjoyed it. Did have the battery replaced just before 3 year warranty ended on July 5, 2011. Other than that, just routine maintenance when oil change life get down to 10% or so (usually around 8000 miles). On the road she had gotten 32.8 mpg on a 1300 mile trip. When I drive we don't do quite as well. We only use 92/93 octane.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 PM

I bought my SS about a month and a half ago and was deciding between the SS and an LT. After I drove the SS there was no comparison. I got the SS with the idea of if I ever get rid of my C5 Vette, I want something that has power and is still fun to drive. Since I bought the SS I have driven my Vette one time. A lot of that is because I just got the SS and it's my new toy, but when I'm driving the SS I don't find myself missing the Vette at all. If I had bought a non-SS version HHR, that would not be the case. The only thing I kind of wish the SS had is leather seats, but the cloth ones are very cool looking and comfortable that I don't miss leather that much.

As far as gas mileage is concerned, around town I am down near 22 mpg, but on long highway trips I can average around 30 mpg. Surprisingly, this is no better than my Corvette.

One other thing, if you get the SS as a certified GM car, you may be able to get the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for $900. I did and feel it was very reasonable since my HHR would have only had a one year warranty due to the certification.

Brian

Last edited by JAMIROBri; 08-08-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

If you like zoom, SS. If you want your buns warm 2LT. Or you could do like me and put sheep skins in your SS, you can't have mine and I'm kinda bummed they quit making them. I'm sure you will love either one great little wagons.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 AM

It's stock... if it had the Turbo upgrade, it would have a GM sticker on the Air-box.

Another clue that its stock, is the absence of METAL piping, anywhere under the hood. if it looks plastic, its stock.

The curb feelers are a good indication, that it was not "ridden hard, and put up wet"
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks guys. The way I see it, the HHR is the only "manly" fuel efficient car.
The HHR SS, then takes that one more step and puts some "manly" under the hood (at apparently little, if any, loss in fuel efficiency).

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
It's stock... if it had the Turbo upgrade, it would have a GM sticker on the Air-box.

Another clue that its stock, is the absence of METAL piping, anywhere under the hood. if it looks plastic, its stock.
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for. The purple lugs made me think the previous owner may have been a kid, but then again, Blue Flash has a hint of purple, so it may have been someone with a more mature color sense. They actually don't look that bad (and that's without being able to see the flash of purple in the paint).

The curb feelers are a good indication, that it was not "ridden hard, and put up wet"
Yeah, that was my feeling as well. It seems like someone who really loved the car, owned it.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
I haven't seen those in years.....
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
C G

Over the last 407 days (last gas purchased) I've driven my 08 SS 22,453 miles and averaged 26.6 mpg's while traveling an average of 345.43 miles between fill ups. The car is bone stock and at 39,600 miles still on the original tires. The only issue I've had is a tire sensor that even after replacement gives false readings and some of the under hood fuses ocasionally working loose.

There are minor things I don't like about the car but they are just that, and not a big deal. If it was RWD I'd think it was perfect the way it is.

The asking price on the car you are looking at looks like a very good starting point. Dollar for dollar I can't think of anything that comes close to the usefulness of the HHR SS with performance that can match it.

I realize I didn't truely address your questions but I hope this is at least slightly helpful.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Looks nice, but for the love of God please loose the curb feelers.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM

ss vs ss

i do have some mods done to mine.My son had a trailblaser ss and loved it,but bad milage so he traded it.I have an hhr ss and its faster then his ever was.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying an SS and have some questions.