HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Possibly buying an SS and have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by partspeddler1
i do have some mods done to mine.My son had a trailblaser ss and loved it,but bad milage so he traded it.I have an hhr ss and its faster then his ever was.
Yeah, the TB SS is not the fastest vehicle stock (high-13's/low-14's quarter mile), but, because it shares the same engine platform as Corvettes, Camaros, GTOs, etc., there's a big aftermarket of "go fast" parts for it. They can be made VERY fast...not that I have much interest in that. Mine's stock except for e-fans (which I did just for the smoother, quieter ride...the extra 10 HP was just a bonus). On gas mileage, if I baby it (and I mean, really baby it), I can get 20 mpg...but what's the point in owning a V8 if you're going to baby it. Mostly I get ~17-18 mpg. It is a very comfortable vehicle, though, so it's a tough decision to get rid of it.

Originally Posted by bad03xtreme
Looks nice, but for the love of God please loose the curb feelers.
Definitely! I didn't even know people used those anymore.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by partspeddler1
i do have some mods done to mine.My son had a trailblaser ss and loved it,but bad milage so he traded it.I have an hhr ss and its faster then his ever was.
Yeah, 400HP in the Trailblazer, is not much. Raced one a few months ago, no contest. Too heavy.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 AM

What kind of HP and TQ does a modded HHR SS put out? Stock for stock, on paper, at least, I would think the TB SS would win. At 395 HP, 400 lb-ft TQ, the TB SS has a better HP/curb-weight (and TQ/curb-weight) ratio. Curb-weight for TB SS is 4560 lbs (RWD) and 4775 lbs (AWD). Am I correct that the curb weight for HHR SS is ~3300 lbs?

Last edited by 5speed4; 08-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM

There are a lot of variables for the TBSS that could vary the speed. AWD vs RWD, gear ratios, etc. but I think stock vs stock it would be close.

My sister is looking to get an 07' TBSS and we test drove an AWD one and it feels much slower than my HHR SS.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Stock 5 speed is 260 HP, stock auto is 235 HP. The GM upgrade brings it to 290 HP, and really wakes it up, especially the auto versions. There is more to be had with aftermarket tunes, though the GM tune retains the full warranty. I can tell you traction is the big problem. These car pull good mph numbers in the 1/4 mile for their ET's.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:28 PM

An aftermarket tune can get you 300WHP +. It makes the SS really flys. I raced a sweet modded BMW 335I and beat him by a couple of car lengths with the SS loaded for vacation and 2 other people in the car. Needless to say the BMW driver had a WTF look on his face.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM

My sister is looking to get an 07' TBSS and we test drove an AWD one and it feels much slower than my HHR SS.
You have to be careful with the "feel" of a TBSS. That's actually one of the "complaints" that you often see on the TBSS forums by new owners or potential shoppers. "It doesn't feel as fast as my <fill in the blank>". I don't know if it's due to the higher seating position, or the smoothness of the LS2 or what, but with a 5.7s 0-60mph, it's definitely not slow.

Stock 5 speed is 260 HP, stock auto is 235 HP. The GM upgrade brings it to 290 HP, and really wakes it up, especially the auto versions. There is more to be had with aftermarket tunes, though the GM tune retains the full warranty. I can tell you traction is the big problem. These car pull good mph numbers in the 1/4 mile for their ET's.
Interesting! Especially the part about keeping the full warranty.
The things that most interests me about the HHR SS is it's a great combo of:
1) Good gas mileage
2) Good cargo capacity
3) Good performance
4) Good in snow (compared to my RWD TBSS, anyway)
5) Good looks
6) Small size (15 inches shorter than my TBSS...can actually store my kids' bikes in front of the HHR in the garage)

Last edited by 5speed4; 08-11-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Once I drove the SS, I really didn't even consider the LT or LS. I also liked the aggressive looks of the SS, with the rear spoiler, front grill and the 18" stock wheels are some of the nicest looking on any car I've seen. It probably only ended up costing me about $2K extra in the long run.

I've kept my SS stock over the last 3 years, and have been very happy with it. Other than the TP monitor others mentioned, I haven't had any problems with it, and I'm coming up on 62K miles. It is an incredibly fuel efficient vehicle for the speed and handling you get. I don't normally exceed speed limits by more than 5-10 MPH, but I really LOVE to get up to that speed as fast as possible.

It is also very versatile in terms of what cargo and passengers it can accommodate.

And it is VERY unique - most people still don't know what it is. Although many call it a PT Cruiser.....
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM

2LT vs SS

I have commented on this on previous threads. Girlfriend and I each have a loaded 2LT with manual transmission (very rare). We love the heated leather seats that were never offered on the SS. The manual 2LT is not much slower than the automatic SS without GMPP upgrade, and was good enough for what we needed. I've seen discussions on here about turbo parts breaking and delays in obtaining them - I'm glad I don't have an extra gizmo on my car that is essential to its operation and potentially expensive after the power train warranty expires. If you want to stay under warranty and require an automatic transmission, your best bet for performance is an SS with the "stage 1" upgrade. The SS automatic apparently performs well in stock form as well. I have only test driven the SS manual, and I really liked the feel of its transmission compared to the 2LT. The stock manual 2LT and SS each accelerate better than their automatic counterparts, and the 2LT manual pulled strongly enough for us.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
I have commented on this on previous threads. Girlfriend and I each have a loaded 2LT with manual transmission (very rare).
I've noticed that. That's originally what I was looking for, but now I'm seeing SSes for only a few thousand $$$ more with fewer miles and being a year (or two) newer so it seems like the 2LTs are relatively overpriced right now. I don't want to offend anyone here, but I actually prefer the looks of a nice 2LT over the SS (something about the SS front-end I'm not crazy about).

I've seen discussions on here about turbo parts breaking and delays in obtaining them - I'm glad I don't have an extra gizmo on my car that is essential to its operation and potentially expensive after the power train warranty expires.
That's a concern of mine as well.

If you want to stay under warranty and require an automatic transmission, your best bet for performance is an SS with the "stage 1" upgrade. The SS automatic apparently performs well in stock form as well. I have only test driven the SS manual, and I really liked the feel of its transmission compared to the 2LT. The stock manual 2LT and SS each accelerate better than their automatic counterparts, and the 2LT manual pulled strongly enough for us.
The manual transmission is one of the main draws for me. As long as you don't have too much traffic to navigate (which I don't), manuals are just more fun. In fact, if TBSS's were offered with a 6-speed manual, that's what I'd have right now (then my user name would be 6speed8).

Quick Reply: Possibly buying an SS and have some questions.