HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Potential SSer questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 PM

Potential SSer questions

Looking at an upgrade from a 97 z24 cavalier. Really interested in the HHR SS. Interested isn't the word... More like enamored.

I just have a few things I need clarification on.

Looking at the Auto vs Manual... I like my MTs, but the auto is intriguing. Do the autos make 235 or 250hp, and why is it claimed that the auto is over a second slower than the MT at the strip? I mean 7.5 sec 0-60 seems slow for a smallish car with 250hp. Would a tune take care of this problem?

The one reason that the Auto is whispering in my ear is... Arm rests! I go on a bunch of long trips, and that little extra comfort would be greatly appreciated.

Second question about the Auto is the longevity. Do these transmissions last, or are they prone to failure?

I'm looking for a DD. I don't go to the strip. I just like quick little cars and occasionally trolling folks in civic si's and those other riced out heaps.

Any help is appreciated, and I hope to join y'all in the ranks of HHR SS ownership within the next couple of months. These things are a pain to find though, especially the 2010s.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

I won't give an answer since I'm a 5 speed guy, but the SS auto owners should be along to give their opinions on the transmissions.

HP. Yeah, just get a tune or the GM turbo upgrade to wake it up. The GMTU bumps it to 290hp, 315tq.

There are numerous threads here about tunes and/or the GMTU. Give the Search function a go if you want to do some reading on it.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:22 PM

The auto is 235 from the factory but the GMTU bumps it to 290 and really wakes up the SS.

And after market tune and bolt-ons will really make it fly.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, there are some nice SS's available on the site!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM

How difficult is the gmtu to install and how much do they run?

Also, will any of that affect MPG?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

GMTU kit can be obtained for about $500. Has to be dealer installed because the computer reflash is obtained from GM and is Vin specific. Around $200 for the install labor.
If the car still has a GM powertrain warranty, then the GMTU will not affect the warranty.
If the car is out of powertrain warranty, then an aftermarket tune is the way to go.

Gas mileage. Mine actually increased by about 2 mpgs over stock.

Like I stated before, do a Search here. All the stuff you asked has been covered in many different threads. Do a little reading and you'll find tons of info on this and other stuff SS related.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
GMTU kit can be obtained for about $500. Has to be dealer installed because the computer reflash is obtained from GM and is Vin specific. Around $200 for the install labor.
If the car still has a GM powertrain warranty, then the GMTU will not affect the warranty.
If the car is out of powertrain warranty, then an aftermarket tune is the way to go.

Gas mileage. Mine actually increased by about 2 mpgs over stock.

Like I stated before, do a Search here. All the stuff you asked has been covered in many different threads. Do a little reading and you'll find tons of info on this and other stuff SS related.

So the GMTU and aftermarket tune is the way to go? I found the GMTU on gm parts direct. Looks plug and play to me, all except the tune.

This would be my first turbo car, but I'm fairly competent with NA engines so it shouldn't be that bad of a learning curve.

Thanks guys, I think I've decided on the auto. Now to find a black auto in good condition near me with relatively low miles...
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

GMpartsdirect sells the old style "splice in" kit. If you decide to go for the GMTU kit, I would advise getting the newer style kit with the plug in harness'. There were a number of problems with the splice in kits. Most caused by incorrect splicing on the techs part.

Good Luck on the search.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM

I wound up getting an auto and the Trifecta canned tune. The difference between stock and tuned is huge. I have read that the auto is more easily damaged, but am hoping that it will last as long as I don't abuse it. I love driving manuals, but the auto is more convenient in stop and go traffic and the addition of the armrests is also nice.
The Trifecta canned tune is only $200 and is easy to install yourself.
The remote start feature is also a plus.
I think you would like either one.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 AM

I have an auto with the Trifecta tune, Hahn cooler and pipes. I'm very happy with this combo. Gas mileage is great. You can turn on and off the tune through the cruse button.

Quick Reply: Potential SSer questions