HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Potential SSer questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
It is not hard to add the arm rests in the manual cars! I added just the passenger side so it wouldn't interfere with shifting and I will say it works great for the driver since the car is not that wide. My arm fits it well.
If you do a search there are a few posts around 2008-9 with part numbers and such.

This is what I did as well. I use the passengers arm rest on long trips, it really works well from the drivers seat and it doesn't get in the way of spirited shifting.

Best of both worlds!

Since my wife has an auto with the remote start, I did look into adding it to mine. There are several shops around here that will install them in manuals. There is a sequence where you put it in neutral and pull the parking brake to activate it so you don't start it in gear.

Adding an armrest (or 2) and adding the remote start is a lot less expensive than putting in a manual tranny
Old 08-04-2014, 04:59 PM

PS, here is the link to add an armrest to a manual SS:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...-s-pics-15404/
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Little late to be worrying about it now...

Thing still has me grinning

Name:  7AD5CE48-CDDC-4172-ACE3-F32838C29BCB_zpsofcrx9oy.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  112.9 KB
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by gunblaize
Little late to be worrying about it now...

Thing still has me grinning
Very pretty car.

At this point you might have already purchased a tune or parts and I don't see where you mentioned the year of your car.

1. If you buy the gm tune, go to crate engine depot and get the plug in kit that will allow the installer to put the three bar sensors in without having to strip and crimp (or solder the wires)

The plug and play is cheap and worth the money.

2. The bottom 3 bar sensor is very close to the air conditioning compressor and when the engine torques the sensor will hit and momentarily shut off the boost (which is an awful feeling under power).
Some people have tried a lot of fixes (myself including) like moving the intercooler forward with washers, one mechanic at a gm dealer did a plastic tie (it broke) and a few other things.

The final result was the gm dealer mechanic turned the bottom sensor around, which should be problematic given the naca duct opening on the sensor, but it works fine and the hitting stopped.
Also it's a free fix.

3. If you go for the gm tune and add an outside tune (I've tried two) Trifecta and an HP tuner, my experience was.

a. With Trifecta the first tune was less than good, the second, better. My SS is a 2008 and Vince only had experience with a 2009 and could not fix the torque management abrupt cut off of power which gives an on off effect.
This plays hell with the transmission.

b. The HP tuner guy I used fixed the torque management cut off, but has yet to give me a smooth linear tune.

c. Personally, I'd just go with the gm tune, maybe find some hp tuner ONLY to get rid of the torque management and be done with it, unless you have a 2009, then I think trifecta can do transmission tunes.

4. The best add ons I did were:

a. had a factory style gm grab handle installed on the passenger side by a custom interior shop. Works perfectly for your front seat passenger and a big omission from the factory.

b. Turbo tech motor mounts, which limits the torque steer.

c. Magnatune muffler. It's nice to hear it.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy your car.

JR

Last edited by russruth; 08-08-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 PM

Got mine today

Had to drive it in the rain today before the picture, also got to get use to shifting gears again. Can't wait to start tinkering.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 PM

hey russruth, what does the added hand grab look like? great idea, I've got the steering shell and during spirited driving a passenger is left with nothing.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 PM

The girlfriend would appreciate the grab handle.

I'm thinking a TTR upper mount and a trifecta tune ASAP, then work towards the Hahn race craft intercooler and aluminum piping. As for the exhaust, I'm still debating that in my head.