HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Questions/Advice on potential HHR SS purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 AM

Questions/Advice on potential HHR SS purchase

If this is in the wrong section please let me know..

I have been looking at the HHR's for a few months now and I'm getting close to getting one. I've been hunting around online and looking up values and such and want to go in as armed as I can to get a good deal.. Any help would be appreciated

First Prospect :
2009 Black on Black SS Automatic. Extra options (USB on the radio, Possibly Premium?) and the Digital Display for the gauges (RPD?) This has been a dealer vehicle and never titled to the public.

First ad I saw was at 5,xxx Miles - Listed Price was Mid $25,xxx
Second Ad was at 10,xxx Miles - Listed price was Mid $23,xxx
When I saw this ad I started calling last week and inquiring on taking a look at it. I was informed that the owner was currently driving the vehicle and they have multiple dealerships so they were unsure when it would be back. She finally called me back after several days saying the owner would be back this coming Saturday and that the vehicle now has 20,xxx miles on it.. They only had it for about 3-4 months and pretty much drove a year of warranty off of it. >.< I looked up KBB and it said around $21K would be selling price.. What could i realistically try to ask for on this one? I was thinking if they re-price it to 21Kwith the new mileage I could start around $18,5-19K and see where they are willing to go?.

I also found a Silver 09 5Spd with two tone interior for $22k and it only has 200 miles on it. So maybe I can use that to my advantage on the black one.. If they wont budge on the price I can go look at the silver one.. it does not have USB or the RPD thing though and its a 5 spd the silver one is about 100 miles away as well

Any thoughts or advice would be great?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM

From buying my SS, valuation drops on it alot.
I would stay within what your thinking 18.k to 19k

you could probably get the silver one for 20.9
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Seems expensive. A year ago I got a 2008 ss with under 10k miles for just under 16000. It was used but still at a Chevy dealer. Mine is an auto with the premium sound system. I even got them to thrown in the stage 1 install for free, (but then had to pay another dealer to fix it).
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

After owning my SS for about a year, the trade in value was like 14,500 with about 16,000 miles. I paid cash when it first came out, so I bought it below sticker, but I was really suprised that it lost 50% of its value in a year. My suggestion is finance away from the dealer and tell them you will write a check for the full amount. this will save you some cash, also, a good idea is have more than one SS picked out and make the dealers fight for your cash. My wife and I saved almost 2G by telling the dealer that we could drive for an hour and get the same car cheaper.... they will bite!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM

also try and get them to throw in the stage kit
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
After owning my SS for about a year, the trade in value was like 14,500 with about 16,000 miles. I paid cash when it first came out, so I bought it below sticker, but I was really suprised that it lost 50% of its value in a year. My suggestion is finance away from the dealer and tell them you will write a check for the full amount. this will save you some cash, also, a good idea is have more than one SS picked out and make the dealers fight for your cash. My wife and I saved almost 2G by telling the dealer that we could drive for an hour and get the same car cheaper.... they will bite!
Yup As of the last advertisements I have two picked out.. They both vary slightly in options but same price the black was $23 with 10K and the silver was 22,9 with only 200 miles. The ChevyMGR guy pulled the VIN and the black one has bluetooth and the premium stereo for sure so that one is the one I want.. hopefully I can work a good deal
Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by JJ's BLACK SS
also try and get them to throw in the stage kit
I had asked her about it if they could get it / install it.. I will see what i can do :)
Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 AM

My 09 SS had 4498mi on when I bought it for 20k, was originally a GM used car. It had all of the documentation from when new with it, even the window sticker. It has the performance package(5spd only) which consists of a LSD and brembo brakes up front. It also has a sunroof, pioneer sound, roof rails, red 2-tone seats, all of the stock HHR floor mats, RPD, and I can't remember what else. It was also a certified pre-owned which made the "bumper-bumper" warranty a 4yr/48k(extends a year and 12k) even though it didn't have 12k on it. If you ever want to go drag racing and use smaller wheels to do it, you don't want the brembos. In 08 you could get a 5spd with LSD before the brembos came out which would be the best IMO for drag racing. The RPD is nice but is not accurate when it comes to hp/tq and the boost, close but its not as good as a real vacuum powered boost gauge.

The autos came stock with alot less hp/tq but with the stage kit they will have the same as the manual. If you want that black one, I would low ball them a bit since they have put so many miles on it, and get the stage kit tossed into the price. There are alot of HHR SS out there for sale from what I've seen even though they are so new and somewhat rarer. Good Luck man.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:37 PM

If I could get a do over, I'd get the 5 speed. The gear ratios are way too wide,(A/T) and with the added boost of the stage pkg, it has a tough time balancing finding a gear at certain boost situations. I love my SS, but my *****es include the 4 spd A/T, and the horrible sight lines because of my height.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by zeevette
If I could get a do over, I'd get the 5 speed. The gear ratios are way too wide,(A/T) and with the added boost of the stage pkg, it has a tough time balancing finding a gear at certain boost situations. I love my SS, but my *****es include the 4 spd A/T, and the horrible sight lines because of my height.
Auto VS 5 Spd really doesnt bother me either way. I'm not planning on racing the HHR. It will be my daily driver and about 95% of all my driving is stop and go city traffic

Quick Reply: Questions/Advice on potential HHR SS purchase