HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

SS Auto?

Anyone have an SS with an auto tranny, what do you think of it compared to the 5 speed? How does it hold up? What kind of mileage do you get?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

I have an auto wouldn't have it any other way but I'm sure you will get the same answer from those who chose 5spd.

Mileage 21 to 27 with stg1 and bigger intercooler and dejon hotside.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

I like my Auto SS. Trans feels nice and driving around in "I" is a blast, even the GF does it for fun. :)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM

I have an auto and I average 29-31 MPG according to the DIC and I am bone stock. That is combined mileage.
I can't the auto to the manual because I bought the auto so my wife could drive it if she needed to. She can't drive a manual.

I do agree about the "I" mode and putting it into "competitive mode". It does go, but would be better with the stage 1 turbo upgrade.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

The auto is quicker in the quarter mile, because the boost stays on while it shifts. My auto gets about 25 combined at a mile high here in the Denver metro (would do better at lower altitude). We haven't seen any real problems with the auto here on the board that I know of. with Denver traffic and my degrading hips, I wouldn't even consider the manual, especially because I love the auto in "I" with Launch Control turned on.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 PM

I like a manual for weekends but for around town it is only an Auto.

The other reason is most FWD autos get nasty with age. The cable shifters then to get floppier than they all ready are and most times it is difficult to replacew the clutch at home if needed. speeds are fun to drive but they also have a down side too. It just comes down to what you like and want.

The one thing is the Auto is a dog vs the 5 speed in stock form now with the turbo upgrade the Auto is pretty equal. The 5 sp with the no lift shift will keep the boost up and is as fast or faster than the auto. I was ok with the auto in stock form but the upgrade is a must for all Auto owners. It really wakes up first and second gears.

As for driving in I it just keeps the car out of overdrive and kicks down the tranny more. The boost will come on a little easier with the revs.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LewiSS
The auto is quicker in the quarter mile, because the boost stays on while it shifts. My auto gets about 25 combined at a mile high here in the Denver metro (would do better at lower altitude). We haven't seen any real problems with the auto here on the board that I know of. with Denver traffic and my degrading hips, I wouldn't even consider the manual, especially because I love the auto in "I" with Launch Control turned on.
No Lift Shift= No Loosa the Boost( Didn't we cover this in the previous threads/arguements)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Another thing, the manual is available with a limited slip differential if that matters to you. Its not available with the auto.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Another thing, the manual is available with a limited slip differential if that matters to you. Its not available with the auto.
Neither are the Brembo's with the Auto but having driven with and with out either option is nice to have but not something I would give up the Auto for.

One factor in the future coming into play is the fact so few can drive a standard shift anymore. I see it becoming harder to sell them in the used market in the future. The new car market is down to 7% standard shift and dropping.

But on the up side standards are stolen less becase so few know how to drive them.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM

I get around 23-25 mpg normally in my drive. I love my auto but that is mostly because I drive all day and drive children around and it is just easier for me to multitask when needed in an auto.

Yes it is slower then the manual but it isn't worth the little bit of time to me.

Quick Reply: SS Auto?