HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 AM

I got my SS auto a few weeks ago and I love it. However, I really wanted a 5 speed. I just couldn't find an SS model with the standard in my area. So I settled for the auto. But it's certainly fun to drive anyway!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Back in the day i had 3 and 4 speed cars loved to shift, then uncle sam needed some help....long story short my old clutch pedal leg does not work to well anymore so an auto is really my only option. Now if HHRs had paddle shifters i would have one for sure!

I wish they still made auto sticks like the old beatles, all the fun of shifting and no clutch needed!!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter.
I wish they still made auto sticks like the old beatles, all the fun of shifting and no clutch needed!!
I once drove a '60's Mercedes model that they didn't import into the US. It had a manual 4-speed, but the clutch was automatically operated. When you touched the shift knob, it de-clutched. When you released the knob, it engaged the clutch. Took a bit of getting used to, but was real smooth to drive once you figured it out. However, if you rested your hand on the knob as you were driving down the street, it would rev up as it de-clutched! It was somewhat intelligent - the speed it engaged the clutch seemed to depend on how much gas you were giving it off the line, and whether you were up-shifting or down-shifting.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
I get around 23-25 mpg normally in my drive. I love my auto but that is mostly because I drive all day and drive children around and it is just easier for me to multitask when needed in an auto.

Yes it is slower then the manual but it isn't worth the little bit of time to me.
Multitasking? I hope you are not talking on the cell phone, eating, putting a CD in, lighting a smoke and fixing you hair at the same time. Just kidding but I see it done daily!

Multitasking is one reason sometimes I think all the cars should be standard. God knows it almost got me killed two years ago with some guy doing more than driving.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Those will always justify their own purchase, so you will always get a biased answer. USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT and get whatever makes you happy...
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Multitasking? I hope you are not talking on the cell phone, eating, putting a CD in, lighting a smoke and fixing you hair at the same time. Just kidding but I see it done daily!

Multitasking is one reason sometimes I think all the cars should be standard. God knows it almost got me killed two years ago with some guy doing more than driving.
haha you don't know the stop touching your sister, you are going to be in time out, stop kicking the back of my seat, give me that, stop if now! that goes on with triplets sitting behind ya? then the turn on the princess music, I dont like this song, but no i did like this song. Stop it!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Triplets!! You need a bus!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Anyone want to talk about SS Autos and not soccer moms......
Old 06-04-2011, 04:01 PM

My auto is great. I think I am the only one to have a major issue on this thread with it. It blew up at 24,000, but they found out it was a manufacturer defect on a retaining clip or retaing device. A stupid retaining clip that holds planetary gears in place.

Otherwise great fun and I BEAT the crap out of it. I only get 22 avg cause I am in the skinny pedal all the time :)
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM

I'm glad I have an auto when I floor it.
Power to the 5-speeders but I get a ton of torque steer with the stage kit and like having both hands to keep her straight.

I would have held out for a 5-speed 10 years ago but at 50 years old and @ $4/gal. it's more about the MPG instead of MPH.

Mine gets from 31-32 MPG in the warm weather with mostly secondary roads with most trips over 10 miles.
It gets 28+ in the winter with most trips under 5 miles.

Quick Reply: SS Auto?