HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Stage 1 kit- Auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Stage 1 kit- Auto trans

Just picked up a 09 HHR-SS in "*****ing Black", w/ Auto trans,[just over thousand miles so far], and I'm alreasdy thinking about the stage 1 kit.
Questions: 1. on the puter flash, I undersatnd it limits torque in 1st and 2nd gear, to make the auto trans live. Correct?
2. Anyone having any probs with Satge 1 kit, w/ auto trans?
Found dealer[F. H. Dailey chevrolet-San Leandro, Ca.] that has installed a couple of Stage 1 kits. They quoted me a price of $925.00 installed. Dealer I bought it from, service manager[which I knew from back in the day] almost soiled himself when I asked him if they installed it. He wanted nothing to do with it.
If I get some good honest feedback, will probably do it before the end of the year.
I'm I custom painter/artist, and I'm sure I won't be leaving this baby alone for very long.
Bye the way- really informative site- check in here often for info.
Robert "Moon" Mullins
"Moon" Designs
Wayward, Cali.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:29 PM

My Dealer here in MD reacted the same way when I asked about installing a Kit in my 08 HHR SS He said they installed 1 and would rather not deal with another........
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM

No.. the stock factory flash limits the tq..stg 1 restores it....
Other then a few loose pressure tubes and some isolated instances of sensor contact the stage 1 kit has been a proven performer...you should be able to have it installed out the door for 750 or less.....just have to find a good supplier
Most people are happy with it
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 PM

I know of a couple of places that would do it but way down here in San Diego. 1 dealer quotes $615 installed which is crazy low ( http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/1379281861.html ), the 1 I took mine to did the installation for $240. The first dealer I took it to (the dealer I bought it from) wouldn't touch it, even to go so far as to tell me they would have to call in some GMPP techs to do the install and it would cost an arm and a leg. Good luck! No problems really with mine and I take it to the track as often as I can.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
Think I'll get the kit from e-bay [$525.00 I think], and have F.H. Dailey install it. Going to be using them for any warranty work I have later anyway.
So far I'm loving this little slot car.
Prior car was 1996 Impala SS, tricked out, and I'm thinking I made a wise move to this one.
"Moon"
Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Thanks for the input guys.
Think I'll get the kit from e-bay [$525.00 I think], and have F.H. Dailey install it. Going to be using them for any warranty work I have later anyway.
So far I'm loving this little slot car.
Prior car was 1996 Impala SS, tricked out, and I'm thinking I made a wise move to this one.
"Moon"
Hey Moon, I bought the stage 1 from F.H.Dailey for $471.00 and they installed it for $260.00 on 7/20/09. The problem they have is:their tech took 51/2 hrs. to install.When I decided to use them they claimed to have installed the kits before( OH yeah we do these all the time).But as real life crashed in on them it was OH you mean "those " kitsGM allows 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. for the install and it is important to have the tech solder all the lead ty-ins and not use the GM connectors(very important) and that adds a little to the install time.I knew(in my heart)that the next guy wanting a "KIT" installed was gonna PAY!!The secret to this whole project is finding a tech that is both good and fast.Ask ChevyMgr!Anyway I would check around CA. before paying that much.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Had mine installed at the time of purchase...wanted it under the 5 yr/100k warranty vs 12/12. Came to agreement on price for the HHR and as a last step I said if you throw in the turbo upgrade I'll write a check right now. Yes mine is an automatic. Fantastic, I love it. $900 is highway robbery. MSRP of the kit is $650 or so. It takes 2 hours to install = $200. The dealer here installs for $580.00 incl the kit.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Funny, I never saw "*****ing Black" as one of the color options...

Now that there is an option for the automatic to NOT have the power turned down in 1st and 2nd gears, in fact, even more power than stock... that makes the auto (vs manual) much more attractive in my eyes. I don't have an HHR SS yet, but I hope to, someday soon. And it WILL have the Stage 1.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Just picked up a 09 HHR-SS in "*****ing Black", w/ Auto trans,[just over thousand miles so far], and I'm alreasdy thinking about the stage 1 kit.
Questions: 1. on the puter flash, I undersatnd it limits torque in 1st and 2nd gear, to make the auto trans live. Correct?
2. Anyone having any probs with Satge 1 kit, w/ auto trans?
Found dealer[F. H. Dailey chevrolet-San Leandro, Ca.] that has installed a couple of Stage 1 kits. They quoted me a price of $925.00 installed. Dealer I bought it from, service manager[which I knew from back in the day] almost soiled himself when I asked him if they installed it. He wanted nothing to do with it.
If I get some good honest feedback, will probably do it before the end of the year.
I'm I custom painter/artist, and I'm sure I won't be leaving this baby alone for very long.
Bye the way- really informative site- check in here often for info.
Robert "Moon" Mullins
"Moon" Designs
Wayward, Cali.
Check this link for a GM Performance Parts Dealer/Participating GMPP Authorized Center Dealers. Only a few dealers have the GMPPart connection.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/lo...alersearch.jsp
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mark923
Check this link for a GM Performance Parts Dealer/Participating GMPP Authorized Center Dealers. Only a few dealers have the GMPPart connection.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/lo...alersearch.jsp
Even the ones that are won't necessarily do it, and some that aren't will. The dealer I bought my SS from is a GMPP Dealer, but they wouldn't even touch it, yet another dealer here in town that isn't had no problem installing it for me.

Last edited by damronjr; 09-24-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 kit- Auto trans