HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Thinking of buying a used SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Thinking of buying a used SS

Anything to look out for? How much wear and tear should I expect for a given mileage? The choices seem to be '08sand '09s with 20-25k miles for $15-18k or the occasional higher mileage vehicle for a few thousand less.
Any major differences between '08 & '09?
Is it worth holding out for one with the Brembo brakes?
And, the tough one- what's a good bottom line price range?

I'm new here and would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM

If you really want performance, get the Brembos and the LSD. The LSD at least. If you aren't taking it to the track, I would forego the Brembo package as the replacement brake job is pricey. Also if you are putting snow tires on, you need bigger rims to clear the calipers and thus more $$$$. If you are over 6', make sure you like the driving position, especially at a red light re: visibility out front windshield. If you plan to track or 1/4 mile your car and are doing all the add-ons (Stage 1 kit) etc, get er loaded up, otherwise the base SS is ample for day to day. IMO.

Price wise, in Canada here 2008's with 10-15k miles are listed b/t $17k-$19k. I would think that for $15kUS you could get an 08 with 10-15k miles that has been gently used.

Check the tires and brakes especially as the 18s aren't cheap to replace. Also if a 5spd, make sure the clutch is running smooth and the brake fix has been done on the auto. Otherwise, if you are buying one with a Stage 1 on it, make sure you can verify with prev owner that he was using 91 octane or higher. Other members on here will likely provide more input into ensuring the turbo is okay, but at least as an 08-09 you still have warranty for that.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

welcome to the forum I am a new SS owner chose the car for the cargo space found the SS and had the STG1 added wow what a difference. Really dont miss the performance of my BMW the Wife drive it her commute is 3 miles round trip . So I could borrow it If i needed but the SS supplys all the adrenalin spikes I crave.Where these cars are say 18 to 30k the original tires are worn I just included the need in the negotiation which alowed me to pic tires that work for me tried three different ones and they really all changed the character of the car chose mine to deal with our climate here. Suspect brakes will be next so it will be nice to get what I want less dust more stop so just some thoughts for you and If you are buying from a dealer have it recertified it extends the bump to bump they say its 600.00 more but in this economic climate they are willing to negotiate they need the business.I have seen a couple nice ones for sale here on the forum do a search so post some pics when you find it.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the responses. I don't expect to be hitting the track with it but I might consider the Stage one kit along the way. Might as well have a little fun! I'm aware of the sight line issues. I've driven both a 2010 and a 2008. I'm only 5'8" but even at that I might add a prism. It's really tough to see a light if you're up close.
There are two I'm hoping to see in the next couple days. One, an '08 with about 12K miles (with LSD). The other, an '09 with about 20K miles (w/Brembo-LSD perf pkg). Assuming they both drive well and have no overt problems, I'm leaning toward the '09. The stock electronics package is a little nicer and I like the color a bit more. Asking price on both is below $16K
Couple of additional questions-
Certified used adds 12months/12,000miles on top of any remaining warranty, correct?
How big do the rims have to be to clear the Brembo brakes?
How much more expensive are brakes with the Brembos up front?
Thanks again for the advice. It's great to have someplace to ask questions other than the dealer!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM

If you can get the Brembo's fine but don't pass up a good deal with out them.

They are good but the stock brakes are all you need for street driving. I have yet to ever have them fade under hard driving.

Keep in mind ths stock brakes are the same ones GM uses on the heavier Malibu, G6 and other larger vehicles. ALso they use them on the Solstice. More than enough brake and cheaper to service.

With Brembo's you will need 17" wheels with standard you will need 16"

The 09 will have a better dome light and more than likely a performance seat on the passenger side.

The standards are fun to drive but watch for linkage issues and clutch. The autos really are trouble free for the most part.

The GM turbo upgrade is a mush just remember it take premium only.

My advice is buy as low of miles as you can or the best condition you can. These are like Camaro's people either take care of them or run the piss out of them.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
My advice is buy as low of miles as you can or the best condition you can. These are like Camaro's people either take care of them or run the piss out of them.
You confirmed my gut suspicion. Drove an '08 with only 20k miles last month. Good price but I walked away. The thing just didn't feel right. Felt more like a car with 70,000 miles. I'm convinced the one previous owner beat the heck out of it. Drove it hard and put it up wet.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by FrugalAudio
You confirmed my gut suspicion. Drove an '08 with only 20k miles last month. Good price but I walked away. The thing just didn't feel right. Felt more like a car with 70,000 miles. I'm convinced the one previous owner beat the heck out of it. Drove it hard and put it up wet.
The key is to look for a stock engine or one with the GM upgrade. Any other mods you are at risk. Many are done well but how can you tell.

These are tough little cars but if driven and beat on they can show early aging like any other car. Adult miles can make a differance. You can still drive fast with out abusing the car.

Also like many on this site, we keep up with rattles and other small issues that keep the car like new. My 08 is nearly new like even after two winters. I tried to protect the paint and repaired any damage as it has happened.

If you take your time you will find the right one. There are enough of us that care and keep our SS in pretty good condition. I have seen some good example for sale often.

Just don't panic and buy the first one that comes along if there is something you don't like. Shop smart and you will find the right one.

Not sure what color you want but if you keep with Black and Red they are the most common colors at about 75%. This will increase the odds of finding one in good condition. But in some cases the odd colors are often not daily drivers and can help keep miles off in that respect.

Just shop the SS like a Camaro and Corvette and shop smart. Condition and if it is modified how well documented is it.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Really don't want the Victory Red. Don't care for the two-tone interior either. The one I plan to look at today is Sunburst Orange Metallic.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

I drove one of those it looked good but the blue got me
Old 11-27-2010, 10:36 AM

08 vs 09 SS

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but since the OP is looking at 2008 vs 2009, I thought I'd clarify for him (and for me, since I don't quite have it all straight, either). The 2010 was just like the 2009 with fewer color choices, and there was no 2006, 2007, or 2011. My understanding is that 2008 SS had the unique, odd combination of the old-style dome light with its LED "light wash" but with the window controls located in the doors. They were only in the doors in 2008 on the SS for its debut, and not moved for the other HHRs until 2009 when the dome lights were changed and their number increased. The LED "light wash" was removed in 2009 since it didn't need to light the window controls any more. Sunroof and LSD I believe were separate and optional for 2008, whereas sunroof and LSD/brembos together were two options for 2009. I don't know the seating changes between 2008 and 2009, but I know the gauges were augmented starting in 2009. I know that all non-SS HHRs got side airbags and stability control standard in 2009, and the side bags were optional through 2008 and only anti-lock brakes were optional in 2008 and earlier for non-SS. Stability control didn't exist for normally aspirated HHRs until 2009. Did the 2008 SS have standard or optional stability control?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a used SS