HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Those who got the speaker upgrade, do you like da system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM

Question Those who got the speaker upgrade, do you like da system?

Is the $295 for the Pioneer premium 7-speaker system with amplified tweeters and rear subwoofer money well-spent? n other words, do you like 'em?

Anyone know of a better package than this? Seems like a reasonably good sound package for the price.

I searched to see if this was posted in another thread but couldn't find any.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:40 PM

Yeah I have the upgraded speaker system in mine and for pioneer and only 260 watts it actually pounds.... The bass is incredible the treble I cant really tell a difference from the stock HHR but, Yeah Im really pleased with the quality of sound and bass... It is definitely worth the $295
Old 03-01-2008, 10:48 PM

I had that system in my '06 and now in the '08 and for me it is enough for me and I am not planning on changing anything until something wears out.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM

I have it and sure it’s no “boom boom look at me” but it sound just great to these old ears and worth every penny.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 PM

I would imagine it would be plenty for me too..

...and for that matter, if you got the $295 audio system upgrade as well, how's that working out for ya?

Oh and while we're on the subject of audio, is the XM Satellite option worth it?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Just depends on what you are expecting and what/how you listen to the "sounds".

Most audiophiles will say it's not worth crap. But if you're not a listener who requires the car to vibrate with every bass beat it will work just fine.

When I use mine it seems to provide adequate listening sound.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 PM

I would not get a car without XM that is all I listen to at home or in the car.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ivtech
I would not get a car without XM that is all I listen to at home or in the car.
I got all the optional equipment. Would not go without XM, but I had to add a subwoofer with a 600W amp, (see the Forum on Subwoofer installations), and am replacing all the other speakers with upgrade JBL's, and another amp up front. It sounds ok, but I was used to a much higher quality system and got spoiled, so it is hard to settle for less. A good quality subwoofer with decent power is not just for boom-boom, even classical (bass and double bass). Just listened to a cello double bass duetto, with my upgraded system, and stock is a just not adequate for my taste. So, it is all in what you are used to, and what you accept as adequate.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 AM

So, I've got the premium sound system in my 08 and I like it. That being said, I don't expect much out of my car stereo.

I am an audio engineer with extremely high fidelity studio monitors for reference tracking and mixing, but the point of listening to music in a car, for me, is to listen to my mixes on a "real" system. It is very common for people to take their mixes out to their car because that is where most people listen to music. So I would not want a system that as super high end in my car.

Now with that, do I notice that there are some things in the Pioneer system that are lacking? Absolutely. But it is better than most stock systems, and it is a reasonable price. One of the most important things or me was not the speakers, but the ability to manually adjust the EQ. I checked out some base model LS' at the dealership and all I could do was cycle through the factory preset eq's (Rock, Jazz, etc.) which were awful. I need to be able to control the bass, mid, and treble at the very least. Anyway, I say thumbs up.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 AM

the system is worth it definitely better than my Cobalt system, I think the sub in the trunk makes it not pound as much as the sub in the Rear cargo of the HHR
Turn the bass up and enjoy!!!

Quick Reply: Those who got the speaker upgrade, do you like da system?