HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Those who got the speaker upgrade, do you like da system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 AM

P.S. You may be dissapointed if you like "pounding bass" that everyone can hear down the block. That's not what an 8" driver is good at. For me, I can use it to bring in the correct amount of bass needed with some headroom to spare. So maybe I could crank it a little more, but for my tastes it rounds out the sound. I'm not trying to blow the windows out here.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by HHR_SS_Rocks
the system is worth it definitely better than my Cobalt system, I think the sub in the trunk makes it not pound as much as the sub in the Rear cargo of the HHR
Turn the bass up and enjoy!!!
Not meant to start an argument but ...Hmmmm I would have to say the opposite. My Pop's 05 Cobalt 4 door premium system - with the eq set to Jazz, the subwoofer is definately felt more so than compared to the HHR's Premium system. In my opinion and not being a sound engineer/audiophile, the cobalt's trunk acts as a big sound chamber.

However, in the HHR, IMO moving the tray shelf to the upper position seems to help a little bit in making the sub's present felt.

That all said and done, The premium system is still worth the money.

But if you want to be felt down the street before you arrive or churn your stomach,spend your money and tear out the stock system and upgrade to an aftermarket. (No offence intended to those with the Booming systems..its just not to my taste)
Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM

I like mine. I like that it doesn't have that ghetto "boom boom" bass.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 AM

I upgraded to it as well I think it sucks YOU can barely hear the sub....if at all...It will be my 1st mod to rip out the sub and go with something better....including the head unit to a pioneer navigation system
Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
I upgraded to it as well I think it sucks YOU can barely hear the sub....if at all...It will be my 1st mod to rip out the sub and go with something better....including the head unit to a pioneer navigation system
have you guys tried the onstar directions, pretty good if you ask me.
BTW, make sure you pump the Bass settings in the stereo to hear the sub really punch!

The cobalt was good dont get me wrong, but there is just more of a hit with the HHR, IMHO.. :)
Old 03-02-2008, 12:11 PM

thanks for all the replies guys...
+1 who doesn't want to rattle the glass of a store as I drive by...
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 PM

I recently listened to an '08 Sonata with Infiniy sond and it killed our Pioneer factory system. Genuine bass with clarity. I'll have spent much more than $295.00 to get my HHR up to others factory premium sound (and beyond). Shame on GM.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM

My observation is that sound systems and high performance cars and hot rods have some interesting parallels. You either get it or you don't. You are either satisfied with X HP and X Watts or not. For my grandmother, an AM radio on the kitchen table was all the sound system she needed, and she was a smart lady in more ways than one. If you are one that does not like to modify or tinker with stuff, then the optional system will likely satisfy you.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Quality sound

I ordered my SS with the cheap sound system because I knew I was going to upgrade it! I have yet to hear any premium sound system in any car including the one in my MB 550 that sounds as good as a well thought of after market system.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
My observation is that sound systems and high performance cars and hot rods have some interesting parallels. You either get it or you don't. You are either satisfied with X HP and X Watts or not. For my grandmother, an AM radio on the kitchen table was all the sound system she needed, and she was a smart lady in more ways than one. If you are one that does not like to modify or tinker with stuff, then the optional system will likely satisfy you.
Well the reason for the thread is to basically let everyone "air it out" so that if there are any likes and/or gripes it's just more info that's out there. I think most ppl nowadays are a pretty good judge of sound for the most part and if most of the guys on here are satisfied, that's a good sign that it meets a certain level of audio sophistication. I'm sure your grandmother didn't grow up with an iPod listening with Sennheiser headphones either.

I remember my friend in 2002, he bought a brand new BMW M3 for $56K and it had the "upgrade" sound system. I thought it sounded lousy and weak like a cheap stock radio in an economy car... compared to my $24K 1998 Z28's sound system, which was a Monsoon with a whole 200 watts. I think audio has come a long way in six years. So it's nice to know that for the most part, this system is worth the money.

Aftermarket? The sky's the limit but my budget won't cover that.

Quick Reply: Those who got the speaker upgrade, do you like da system?