HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Took my 16-year old daughter driving....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Took my 16-year old daughter driving....

My daughter turned 16 recently, and she's going to go driving with the driving school in a couple weeks prior to taking her learner's permit. Being as she has never been behind the wheel, I took her to a large empty parking lot yesterday and let her drive my SS. It was a little nerve-racking, especially when I had her pull into a parking spot. I had visions of my front skirt being smashed up on the curb. The only good thing was that I had my hand on the e-brake at all times in case she lurched out of control (like hitting gas instead of brake).

The SS is not the best car to learn on. The throttle is VERY responsive, and the steering is very stiff, especially at low speeds (less than 20 MPH). But she didn't wreck the SS, so all in all it went well.

Anyone else let their kid drive their SS?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
It was a little nerve-racking, especially when I had her pull into a parking spot.
That makes me remember when I was in drivers training (in Michigan it used to be a very cheap course you took at the high school for 3 or 4 weeks and then a second course, so when you were 16, you were all ready to get your license). So I am in the car with 3 of my friends and my instructor, also my science teacher. I was the second to drive, but the first person we switched in a random spot, so when it was my turn to switch we pulled into a parking lot. I pulled in and parked it and made the comment "like a glove". So my instructor made us all get out of the car and see how "great" of a job I did. Yeah, not even close...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 AM

My daughter turned 16 recently, and she's going to go driving with the driving school in a couple weeks prior to taking her learner's permit. Being as she has never been behind the wheel, I took her to a large empty parking lot yesterday and let her drive my SS. It was a little nerve-racking, especially when I had her pull into a parking spot. I had visions of my front skirt being smashed up on the curb. The only good thing was that I had my hand on the e-brake at all times in case she lurched out of control (like hitting gas instead of brake).

The SS is not the best car to learn on. The throttle is VERY responsive, and the steering is very stiff, especially at low speeds (less than 20 MPH). But she didn't wreck the SS, so all in all it went well.

Is your SS an automatic transmission?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Talking

Maybe straying off topic a bit but:

I learned to drive at 13 on a farm, in my Dad's 1948 Ford F-1, no synchers in that gear box.. Thought I was pretty hot stuff.

At 16, I very confidentally strutted in to take my drivers test....

Oh yea, I failed twice, & finally got it on the 3rd time..

Guess my ****iness needed to be knocked down a few pegs..
Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah, I learned how to drive in my truck when I was who knows what ages... Probably anywhere from 10-12. I used to drive it in my grandpa's yard, he lives out in the country and has TONS of room!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM

No! But then again I don't have any kids
Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 PM

I took my 16 year old step son out the other day to drive my HHR. He needs a little more practice on his coordination between working the clutch, gas, and shifting. He only killed it twice by popping the clutch and slipped the clutch about six times. He did better than the wife did her first time out - but then again, I don't let her drive my HHR much if at all. By the time the kid learns to drive a stick and the youngest learns in about three years – I think it will be time for a total transmission rebuild. I plan on a long future for this vehicle.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM

I took my 17 year old niece to teach her how to drive a stick shift in my HHR SS. We only did gears 1-3rd (35mph) at the high school parking lot but she caught on good.
She kept saying the clutch was hard to push in the HHR SS and I said that it was the easiest clutch in a vehicle I've ever owned. So after we got home I let her jump in my project turbo van and push the clutch on that, needless to say she looked like she was trying to leg press weights It has an ACT 2100 PP and South Bend clutch Disc. She said she couldn't imagine trying to drive that all the time.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
No! But then again I don't have any kids
No kids here, but I did teach my sister how to drive stick in a truck with no power steering. That was fun.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
No kids here, but I did teach my sister how to drive stick in a truck with no power steering. That was fun.
But that wasn't the question

Quick Reply: Took my 16-year old daughter driving....